Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I think I know the difference but I'd really like to know the truth.

Will the FMJ 9mm leave a small hole clean through?
I assume hollow point breaks apart staying inside leaving more total damage.

Am I close?

· Registered
2,418 Posts
I'm no expert. But FMJ will most likely go clean through it's target in self defense. A hollow point is made to expand. With a 9mm it will mnost like go clean through as well. But exit with a bigger hole. The more it expands, the better the stopping power.

· Registered
1,311 Posts
Go out to you tube or google the question and you will get a complete visual explanation and examples.

Short version, fmj 9mm will in all likelihood pass through a person with little holes, in and out, and hit anything in back of the person. Bad scenario.

Jhp will expand on impact creating a large hole IF it exits. Most cases in a center mass shot it will penetrate, expand and stay in the body. If it exits out it would be limited mass that would reduce "collateral" damage.

There are experts here that are very good in this area and could give a better ballistic explanation.

· Registered
12,877 Posts
Yes, FMJ bullets will for the most part act like solid or non-expanding bullets. So you will usually get more penetration from a FMJ than a JHP (at really low speeds they will begin to act alike). JHP bullets on the other hand will expand more, slowing or retarding penetration. The more and sooner they expand, the less they penetrate. Most home defense type bullets will have a goal of expanding to the point where they do not leave the body, or continue penetrating walls. LEO JHP bullets on the other hand have a design goal more on the penetration side in order to shoot through simple barriers like car windshields. EVERY JHP bullet design makes a trade off between expansion and penetration and for the most part they try to stay together as one bullet and not fragment. Fragmenting bullets on the other hand are a completely different class of bullet altogether. A fragmenting bullet like the DRT design fragments to the point that all of it will never be able to be removed from the target and all of it is meant to stay within the target.

There are other types of bullets that can do different things, for instance, Federal's Guard Dog enhanced FMJ is a FMJ design with a soft plastic under the nose and a pre-scored inner jacket. The bullet design gives you the reliability of a FMJ in an auto pistol, but with a swiftly expanding nose that keeps penetration down. Copper bullets are another design. They are lighter because they contain no lead, which also makes them larger for the same weight as lead FMJ. The deep HP is pre-scored and even though they may expand more than the same weight JHP, for some reason they also seem to penetrate more. Somewhat on the pricy side, they have proved to be great performers in the hunting fields, but they have not been used enough in auto pistol to have enough data to verify their performance for self defense/home defense/LEO work. If they perform as well for those roles as they have for hunting they may greatly improved the performance of the micro auto pistols, like .32 Auto and .380 Auto. 9mm should be an even better performer as the greater the velocity the better the performance with current copper bullets. JMHO.

· Super Moderator
40,796 Posts
Here is a decent video that will help show the difference.

· Registered
479 Posts
GreenWolf pretty much nailed it on the head. Good Job explaining it GW.

· Registered
1,250 Posts
The reasoning behind SD rounds (JHP) is to stop the threat quickly as possible. FMJ pistol ammo isn't up to that task. The only cartridge I would consider suitable for FMJ carry is the .45acp. Cast lead would be the .44 spl and .45 LC.

· Registered
1,513 Posts
Will the FMJ 9mm leave a small hole clean through?
Maybe. It depends on what the FMJ bullet hits. People are not made of ballistic gelatin. They have large bones. They have lungs, which might as well be regarded as big air cavities. An FMJ bullet that strikes the sternum with enough speed might generate bone fragments as secondary missiles, which might sever the aorta or vena cava if the bullet doesn't. An FMJ bullet that strikes the spine (though it is hard to hit) might not go any farther. A hollow point bullet will probably stay in the body, but it could go between two ribs, through a lung, and out the back between two ribs. You should use a proven hollow point if you can get it, but if you can't, an FMJ round can be made to work. Scads of people have been killed by 9mm FMJ.

On the other hand, this guy was shot in the head with a 9mm bullet of unknown type, and it didn't even faze him.:confused: It worries me.

· Banned
401 Posts
Howdy wizard,

I don't need anger management, I just need people to quit pissing me off !!
i love your sig line!

Paul

P.S. In a pocket pistol like a .380 I prefer a heavy FMJ bullet for maximum penetration.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.