Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was an early morning for me....I arrived in the parking lot at the Big 5 Sporting Goods store, and to my surprise there was NO ONE waiting in line for ammo...unusual, because I had called Big 5 two days ago and they confirmed a lot of 9mm ammo arriving on their weekly delivery, including several 200-round boxes of WWB 115gr. So I got to enjoy the sunrise...

Could have been the Easter delay, but only a few more people showed up after me, just before they opened...

So I managed to score 300 rounds total of WWB, which will be used for some range shooting...

A 200-round and 100-round box...

Now, before all y'all go on and on about 'should have saved up before the crisis'...yes, I've already got some 9mm ammo saved up, too...and other calibers...I just wanted some more...in case this drought never ends. No one knows when this ammo crunch may end, if at all. The bad news here is that even the RETAIL PRICE of ammo has jumped way up. Did I pay a little more than I wanted to? Sure, a bit of a sticker shock but I wasn't doing anything else this morning, and getting up early reminded me how nice it is, light traffic, no one else around, clean fresh air...and I've got just a little more ammo than I already had, which is always a good thing. Extra stuff to shoot without taking away from my saved stash. It's definitely out there, if you want it.

·
Super Moderator
36,744 Posts
Congrats on the haul! Price and availability always depends on the latter. This falls into the ...ya gotta do what you gotta do category.

·
Registered
367 Posts
It was an early morning for me....I arrived in the parking lot at the Big 5 Sporting Goods store, and to my surprise there was NO ONE waiting in line for ammo...unusual, because I had called Big 5 two days ago and they confirmed a lot of 9mm ammo arriving on their weekly delivery, including several 200-round boxes of WWB 115gr. So I got to enjoy the sunrise...

View attachment 478172

View attachment 478173

Could have been the Easter delay, but only a few more people showed up after me, just before they opened...

View attachment 478174

So I managed to score 300 rounds total of WWB, which will be used for some range shooting...

A 200-round and 100-round box...

View attachment 478175

View attachment 478176

Now, before all y'all go on and on about 'should have saved up before the crisis'...yes, I've already got some 9mm ammo saved up, too...and other calibers...I just wanted some more...in case this drought never ends. No one knows when this ammo crunch may end, if at all. The bad news here is that even the RETAIL PRICE of ammo has jumped way up. Did I pay a little more than I wanted to? Sure, a bit of a sticker shock but I wasn't doing anything else this morning, and getting up early reminded me how nice it is, light traffic, no one else around, clean fresh air...and I've got just a little more ammo than I already had, which is always a good thing. Extra stuff to shoot without taking away from my saved stash. It's definitely out there, if you want it.

It's really nobody else's business if you or ANYONE buys ammunition or how much is paid. Ammunition may continue to rise for months to come considering the current political environment. So, ammunition months from now may be higher and you just saved some money, right ?

I've purchased bulk ammunition in the last few months...for training and range shooting...if people consider that sinful, so be it.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
My wife bought her first 9mm pistol just before the shortages started. My wife was finishing up her paperwork and I came around the corner with a half full shopping cart of ammo. she asked if we needed that much. I said yup can never have enough. Picked up everything from 30.06 to.22lr. I think that cart was about to have a hernia.

Sent from my Lenovo YT-X705F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
21,609 Posts
The only ammo I'm short on is 30.30 arrrg it's $89.00 and I just can't do it. I have a few boxes. So that will last.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Doc Holliday

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I road with a friend to pick up a used washer and dryer this evening. It was a 40 minute drive down i-10 to the west. He found it on line last night and texted the guy this morning. The guy said he gets off work about 4pm and my friend said he would come get it tonight. ok,no problem. we head down the interstate about 5:45pm and he texts the guy for the address. no reply, ok, no big deal, lets get something to eat while we wait for reply. After a burger still no reply but he wanted to look at a lazy boys and i need a fishing reel and both stores are where the washer is to be picked up so if no reply we can still kill a few birds. we get to gulfport and no word on washer so we write that off. we hit Lazy boy outlet but they closed at six so over to Academy Sports to look at fishing gear. I couldn't find a shimano nasci 4000 anywhere on line available in store. Academy on line stinks anyway but i know to not to trust what the web says.
And true enough , they had it ! on sale ! $109
I did see any ammo on the shelf so i said "this might be a stupid question but do you have any ammo? All we have is on that cart in the center isle . I look over and the card is big and Not Empty ! ok, ok its going to be $30 for a box of 50. NO, its $69 for 200rds 115gr wwb. $0.35 a round is doable.
What this? 556 and 233 Hornady and Winchester 20rd and 200rd boxes but at @ $0.60 a round. but the Winchester 200rd box is M855 green tip.
Two box per so i got a box of 200 9mm wwb and a 200rd box of 556 green tip.
They didn't have the two piece ugly stik fishing rod or the bulk fishing line i like so i'lll be going to look over at Bass Pro Shop and Field &Stream. I know Bass Pro has the monofilament i like and the largest selection of ugly stiks. Who knows what ammo i might find there as well.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Still haven't seen any conventional ammo I'd be willing to pay for. Grabbed a box of .22 rat shot $12 and ordered 450 rounds of .22 tcm for 56cpr though. Before you call me a hoarder I have 5 new high capacity mags to test and tune so none of it is gonna last.That's about as much as I'm gonna spend on pistol bullets. They can keep the $1.30 .38 special. Won't be buying any 9mm for a while. Im still used to spending 18 cents a round I don't think I would even pay a quarter.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
I hit bass pro shop to get a fishing rod and found .45, .380, and 556.
herters .45 box of 50 $23.
The Winchester .380 was to much @ $0.65 a round.
Winchester 55gr 556 @ $0.60.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
The guys working the stores said ammo is easying up and look for it to be in the store regularly in July.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I hit bass pro shop to get a fishing rod and found .45, .380, and 556.
herters .45 box of 50 $23.
The Winchester .380 was to much @ $0.65 a round.
Winchester 55gr 556 @ $0.60.
Went to cabelas and scored some 556 even a box of 5.7x28. I musta been late to the party though. No .45 at all. By the time I got to bass pro shelves were empty.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts