Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
If I'm indoors, I sometimes use foam plugs under my headphones. Outdoors, I usually just use one or the other.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Usually foam, but I just bought a set of those silicone ones that supposedly let you hear conversation but protect you from impulsive sounds like gunfire. Anyone else out there ever use those? I'm very curious about them. Guess I'll find out next time I go shooting.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
indoors i just use some muffs.. they have foam in them nothing special but they take the edge off.. if someones shooting something really loud then i'll put in ear plugs also.

outdoors i usually just use plugs.. if im just shooting .22lr sometimes nothing.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Double up on the ear protection. Foam plugs with a NRR of at least 25 and then a pair of muffs on top of those.

PROTECT YOUR HEARING

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
There was a great article in one of the very recent gun rags about this subject- however, in this case, a picture is worth 1000 words.....If I can find it, I'll post it - it showed a normal ear canal, and one with hearing loss.....it was pretty horrific.

·
Super Moderator
21,798 Posts
Huh? no just kidding I worked in a factory for 31 years even if it was not posted I wore them the foam kind. for shooting indoor muffs or plugs if I'm the only one there depends on what I'm shooting to. Outdoor foam plugs

·
Registered
509 Posts
Vismin said:
Usually foam, but I just bought a set of those silicone ones that supposedly let you hear conversation but protect you from impulsive sounds like gunfire. Anyone else out there ever use those? I'm very curious about them. Guess I'll find out next time I go shooting.
Yeah and UNCOMFORTABLE is all I can say!
Then when you are in the heat shooting darn things slip out!
I went back to foam.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Foam plugs and I got a sweet deal on some Peltor electronic muffs. If I'm shooting the PT 1911, I'll wear both. You can't have too much protection.

·
Administrator
40,372 Posts
Muffs mostly, occasionally plugs.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I prefer the ear miffs over the foam plugs... but when shootig outside here in the summer the muffs are just a tadd hot, so I use the plugs. My girlfriend hates the muffs and uses the foam plugs.
'Nuf said

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
No foam plugs for me. Put me in the muff loving kind of man category. ;)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Ear plugs and electronic muffs. My hearing has suffered from aircraft engine noise and far too many rounds at the skeet range along with bird hunting.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
so how do those electronic muffs work? personally i think they would be a gimmick.. do they actually work?

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Normally I use some Howard Leight Hearing Protection Leightning's with a 31 db rating. However, in the winter I tend to shift to ear plugs so I can still wear a stocking cap to keep warm. Yes, I tend to shoot outside.

Steelheart

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
joe sixpack said:
so how do those electronic muffs work? personally i think they would be a gimmick.. do they actually work?
Well when I was working with an instructor, he could whisper, and I heard him. When the person next to us fired, I lost some words, because it kicked in at the shot, and my ears did not ring. Mine are adjustable, for volume. I want the molded ones for in the ear next time. Hard to get a hat on my head with the big electronic ones. Of course, I have a huge head, which is part of the problem.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Joe six, yes they work as long as you keep charged batteries installed. I went to them several years ago during a dove hunting trip. As Robby said, I can communicate with my shooting and hunting partners and protect my hearing.

·
Super Moderator
21,798 Posts
Working in a factory you kind of develop lip reading body language kind of thing. Those adjustable ear muffs can run you some money my buddy just spent $200 on a some he's shoots all the time and has money what a problem to have. But on the bright side I get to shot his guns which I would never have the opportunity to do and he's a great guy which doesn't happen to often.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When shooting my pistol, I use the S & W "Muffs" when shooting my AR - 15 I use the "foamies" because the muffs distort my sight picture!
Happy & Safe shooting

1 - 20 of 45 Posts