Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm guessing this would go here as it pertains to what to use at the range.
I use regular passive ear protection, not the plugs, the earphone style.
26db of sound suppression.
I cannot hear a person next to me talking while wearing them unless they shout.

I read somewhere the electronic ones may be better as they let normal sounds through with little suppression, but muffle instantaneous sounds like gunfire.

What do most of you use, and which would be better?

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
I have been using electronics, that I bought from Midway USA, was betwenn 20 & 30 $. The have worked for me the last 4 years, I can actually hear better when in a group shooting situation (like classes), but all the bang is gone. Of course most if not all of my shooting is outdoors, with no roof over the line. I did notice a need for plugs and headset when under a roof.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I use both normal and electronic earmuffs. I mainly use the normal when just out casual shooting at the range and use the electronics at comps and when shooting with friends as well as hunting. Mine also amplify lower sounds like voices so they actually help while hunting as well.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The reason I ask is because of the fact I can't hear anyone with them on is when I take the CWP firing course I may not be able to hear the instructor's commands.
If the electronic ones will let voices pass but not gunfire, then I will buy the pair that Wally World has, they're more expensive but maybe that's what I need.

·
Super Moderator
36,388 Posts
I have electronic muffs from Cabelas and//or Midway. If you have time to get a set there they are less than 30.00 and work well in match/class situations.

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
I use electronic protection when I'm teaching and regular muffs when I'm shooting. Reaons - when I'm working with the kids, I want to hear everything going on other than the actual firing. My electronic muffs actually amplify ambient sound and then block loud sharp sounds. When I'm shooting, I have a tendency to "zone" and any supurfluous noise will have an affect on my concentration.

Just for clarification, 26db of suppression is kind of misleading since db is a relative measurment rather than abosolute. db loss or gain is a way of comparing numbers which are vastly different - such as the difference between 1 and 1,000,000. The actual difference in sound pressure depends upon the average ambient sound.

·
Registered
28 Posts
indoors i wear both plugs and muffs
i got 3 shots off in an indoor range till i was asked to leave lol
guys dont like the 44mag in doors haha
outside i wear either the plugs or muffs

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The passive ones I have will muffle the TV so much from normal volume to the point it sounds like mumbling.
Probably going to Wally World tomorrow, if they have the electronic ones I'll get one.

·
Registered
29,918 Posts
The desposable plugs I use have a 34db atenuation rating and are much more comfortable in Florida heat & humidity.

And they don't get in the way of rifle or shotgun stocks during shooting.

·
22,050 Posts
I am with Moondawg on the ear plugs. I can wear a headset in the winter but not in the summer.

The ear plugs are free where I work as well.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I've got electronic muffs, but I don't use them much. They don't reduce the db's as much as regular muffs, and as I'm usually shooting alone there's no one to listen to anyway. I always double the muffs up with plugs so I'm really deaf when I'm shooting. When I was a kid we used to go shooting with no hearing protection, and my ears would ring for days. It did some damage, and these days just plugs or just muffs doesn't cut it. I've gotta have both.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I wear heraing aids, and had the threshold set at 90dB. Anything above tht, they shut off until the noise subsides. What little sound "bleeds" through the air ports sounds like a canned 9mm.

I, too, used to shoot without protection. I now have severe tinnitus in my right ear, and legally deaf in both ears.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
I'm looking into getting some eletronic earmuffs for outdoor range use when I'm with friends.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic earmuffs work fine by me, indoor or outdoor. They are lightweight and do a good job of amplifying low volume sounds, while cutting out the sharp crack of gunfire. In addition, because they're low-profile, I can achieve a good cheek-weld on the stock.

The stereo mics are great for hunting as they allow you to pick up noises from greater distances as well as the direction of its source.

The earphone jack allows you to connect it to an iPod or stereo, though if listening quality is a precedent you might look elsewhere. It's better than the earbuds, but no where near the quality of dedicated music headphones.

When shooting high power rifles with muzzle brakes, I'll double up with a set of foam ear plugs.

The Midway (Peltor made) non-electronic earmuffs do a great job of muffling sounds as the seal is excellent, though you may find it too bulky for your uses.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
I usually grab a handful of ear plugs from work just to have in my range bag for guests, but I usually just use the muffs I bought at Walmart for $12.00 that came with eye protection as well. Haven't failed me yet for a budget set of protection.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I recently swithed to electronic muffs and love them. They amplify normal noise or conversation which is really nice at the range

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Moondawg has the right idea for rifle shooting. I'm a pistol shooter and need the big earmuffs. I had a hard time understanding the instructor at his class. Later I got the electronic ones and visit with my friends at the range while I'm getting ready to shoot some more. Yes, they are sure worth it.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Walmart has the Winchester branded electronic ones for like $27.
Did not get them yesterday when we were there as I don't need them yet.
Definitely will get a set before I take the course.
I'll use the passive ones for backyard shooting.
Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
I use electronic muffs. I like to be able to hear what's going on around me.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts