Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading some very positive stuff about these. The manufacture is straight forwards: "not the sleekest, prettiest, or the lightest but gets the job done." I am liking the Magnum. Good reviews as well. Seems like they have decent lock up and trigger not to many failures with these either. It sounds like they shoot in well too. Any one have one?

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
I used to have a .357 several years ago. Was accurate and had pretty good grips. The frame is pot metal construction, but you get what you pay for. It was my work truck gun until it grew legs, and walked off a job site one afternoon. Funny how one of my "co-workers" started asking about different types of .357 ammo after that.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I almost bought one, a while ago....until I made a point of looking one over very carefully. The trigger guard is so thin, it can be flexed with your thumb. The barrel shroud is actually stamped sheet metal, held on with pins. The biggie for me was that the gun (brand new, just out of the gun store display case) malfunctioned while I was handling it. The cylinder release jammed and would not operate, so the cylinder would not open. I finally got it to work by pushing in on the hammer, while pushing the release forward.

I can't say more than that - that's the extent of my experience with the Windicator. However, I will say that I would NOT buy one, whatever the price.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I looked at 357 Mag revolver at a gun show a couple of years ago, it was new in the box and the end of the barell had fairly deep concentric rings as if from rapid turning on a lathe. To me it looked like they forgot to finish and crown the barell after cutting it to length. I bought a Taurus 617 instead!

·
Banned
171 Posts
I have one in .357 and I am rather pleased with it. It does have a few issues such as on 2 of the chambers it is difficult to pull the hammer back for single action however it always has the same trigger pull and always works in double action.

The lock up on mine (I assume this refers to the cylider locking into firing position after rotation during trigger/hammer pull) leaves something to be desired as there is a bit of play however it has not caused any issues. I have put roughly 250 158 grain .357 mag rounds though this along with at least 20 .38 +P and probably 150 .38 special and have not noticed any wear or change in function of the gun. the issues i have pointed out were present when I bought it. It is my first and only revolver.

Obligatory pic.

As for the guy who said he could flex the trigger guard with his fingers he is full of it trigger guard is made of the same material as the rest of the frame either steel or some type of alloy.

·
Premium Member
14,139 Posts
Thanks for the pic, EBK. That Windicator looks like its design is borrowed from Charter Arms. I've always wanted to try a Charter Arms. Maybe someday. :)

·
32,619 Posts
While reviews seem mixed why not go take a look round at any Windicators in the stores near you.

Something like that I would want to examine before buying as a general rule.

I used to think that Hi-points were laughable, but learned very fast that I had to readjust the attitude.That might be the same thing here.

·
Registered
186 Posts

"As for the guy who said he could flex the trigger guard with his fingers he is full of it trigger guard is made of the same material as the rest of the frame either steel or some type of alloy."

Doesn't much matter if it were made of concrete. I said nothing about the composition of it, anyway. It IS very thin and I DID flex it with my thumb, whether you like it or not.

As to your state of happiness with the gun..... I'm glad for you. I did NOT say that no one should buy one, or make any disparaging comments about the Windicator (or anyone who owns one). I simply stated my observations....and said that I wouldn't buy one. That's all. No need to get upset, or take it personally.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Ages ago I used to have one of these in .32 H&R magnum -- yes they made one, and yes I wish I still had it! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts