Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend, I bought an EAA Windicator 357 magnum revolver from my son, to whom I sold it a few years ago. It developed a problem, in that it will work properly in single- or double-action a few times, but then the trigger and/or hammer resists being cocked. I can overcome it with effort, either pulling hard on the trigger or pulling hard on the hammer spur with my thumb, and then it will work normally two or three times, before jamming again.

This happens empty or loaded, and does not coincide with one particular chamber. The gap between the chambers and the barrel is within specs. The gun is clean and lubed, and has low mileage.

Internet research shows this is something of a common problem with Windicators, but I have not found a detailed fix, other than owners sending them to EAA for repair, either under warranty (original owner only) or for a fee (subsequent owners). Reports are that after EAA fixes them, the repair takes care of the problem permanently.

I'm not sure if I want to send it to EAA; I've seen a few reports that indicates that their customer service is not stellar. I may take it to a local gunsmith, instead.

Has anyone else who owns/owned an EAA Windicator encountered this?

Revolver Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Don't have one of them but I do have an original S&W 686 (original meaning no dash numbers) that I bought in the early 80's that occasionally did something similar. After shooting it for a while, the cylinder would resist rotation to the point that I couldn't shoot it without fear of damaging the mechanism.

Just found out the other day that that was a problem with the early issues of that firearm so S&W fixed it by placing a seal on the cylinder shaft to prevent the hot gasses from forcing lead bullet lube into that area from between the barrel/cylinder gap thus releasing the next iteration of the gun which was the 686-1.

Could be your revolver is doing something similar.

Beautiful looking revolver, btw.

·
9,355 Posts
Well TnC you are in a pickle. I've looked at a few over the years brought to me for repair and the bottom line is, I will not work on the action. This revolver is put together in a stack and then carefully inserted into the frame. So if it is an action part you may be OOL. I can only suggest the normal stuff:
1. bad ammo - out of spec COL or unseated primers
2. Crud under the cylinder star
3. Crud in the action - maybe attempt to spray, blow some light oil into the action from above and below, then see if it works out the jam

You can remove the grip and remove the cylinder and that's about it. Follow this you tube video on how to do that.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Don't have one of them but I do have an original S&W 686 (original meaning no dash numbers) that I bought in the early 80's that occasionally did something similar. After shooting it for a while, the cylinder would resist rotation to the point that I couldn't shoot it without fear of damaging the mechanism.

Just found out the other day that that was a problem with the early issues of that firearm so S&W fixed it by placing a seal on the cylinder shaft to prevent the hot gasses from forcing lead bullet lube into that area from between the barrel/cylinder gap thus releasing the next iteration of the gun which was the 686-1.

Could be your revolver is doing something similar.

Beautiful looking revolver, btw.
I have a beautiful 4" 686-1 with wonderful Spiegal wood grips. What a great looking and shooting 357.

·
Administrator
18,636 Posts
Failing all of the above suggestions, send it in to EAA for repair. Particularly if their fix is a permanent solution to the problem.
Have never owned, seen, or shot one of these Revolvers, but I have found them interesting.

Reactions: TrucksNCoffee

·
Registered
505 Posts
Oooo oooo oooo I might be able to help with this one. Check your ejector rod. They walk out quite often. If that doesn't work just yeet that sucker 20 yards down range. Mine has worked like a champ ever since. Backstory, about 500 rounds in, mine started to lock up. I tried gunscrubber and brake clean a lot of black flowed out. Then I noticed the ejector rod was loose. I put some blue loctite on it and it was flawless for another 500 rounds or so. Then it was locking up again. I threw that sucker down range and bam, its been flawless for the last 1000 rounds or so. YMMV but it's a cheap gun, won't hurt it to try.

·
23,576 Posts
I had a Ruger Security six that had similar issues. The cause, and once0217 and crossfire alluded to, was an ejector rod backing out. If it's not that and a good cleaning doesn't do anything, then a local gunsmith is probably the next logical step.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Some of the early 1980s S&W 686 had to go back for Modification of firearm,thus having MOD stamped on inside of frame and eliminating the same issue you now have .........Personally a qualified gunsmith can do the fix without waiting years to get the Windicator back from repair Good Luck !

·
9,355 Posts
I forgot to mention, these EAA revolvers are good,,just rough. A good buddy bought one and wanted me to do an action job,,well no can do,,But I did dry fire w snap caps about 350 times before running 6 cylinders of 38 and 357. After the dry fire and some lube,,the trigger smoothed out and it shot pretty dang good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts