Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy purchased this model a few days ago and we went to the range yesterday.
I am not a consistent revolver guy, the last time I shot a revolver was 2009. This model revolver is very nice, feels good in the hand and packs a punch!
All I can say is I LIKE IT, this sucker is awesome. It is very well balanced. I ran 6 rounds through it at 15' and here is my result.......guite happy Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol Flag Logo Sign Sport venue

·
Super Moderator
14,009 Posts
I have owned a 4 inch Windicator with blued steel for two years. It really is a remarkable revolver, everything you say about it is true. The only way I'd give it up would be a trade in for a Ruger GP 100. I like the EAA so much, I paid GhostHorse to make a custom holster for it.

One word of caution: I bought a box of steel case Tula (read, "cheap") .357 magnum rounds to shoot in it for grins and chuckles. Tell your friend, "Don't!" No, it's not the recoil that's a problem, the Germans designed a really good grip for this little gun. When you load all the chambers and start shooting magnums, the stout recoil starts dislodging the bullets from their cheap steel cases, and the nose on the last couple of unfired rounds drag on the forcing cone, to the point where you wonder if the chamber is going to jam. Pay the extra money for quality brass-cased .357 mag ammo and avoid the problem.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
That's a great looking revolver. How much did it run him?

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
I have owned a 4 inch Windicator with blued steel for two years. It really is a remarkable revolver, everything you say about it is true. The only way I'd give it up would be a trade in for a Ruger GP 100. I like the EAA so much, I paid GhostHorse to make a custom holster for it.

One word of caution: I bought a box of steel case Tula (read, "cheap") .357 magnum rounds to shoot in it for grins and chuckles. Tell your friend, "Don't!" No, it's not the recoil that's a problem, the Germans designed a really good grip for this little gun. When you load all the chambers and start shooting magnums, the stout recoil starts dislodging the bullets from their cheap steel cases, and the nose on the last couple of unfired rounds drag on the forcing cone, to the point where you wonder if the chamber is going to jam. Pay the extra money for quality brass-cased .357 mag ammo and avoid the problem.

The separation of the bullet and the case that you speak of has nothing to do with cheap or expensive ammunition. It has to do with the amount of crimp the manufacturer uses in his production process. I carry a bond Bullpup 9 mm and the Blazer brass as well as one or two other well-known manufacturers separate the bullet from the casing when shooting the Bullpup. It doesn't mean the other ammunition is cheap, either in cost or quality, it simply means they do not use adequate crimp.

Don

·
23,204 Posts
Brass and steel don't grip lead the same way, I'd be willing to bet.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not a fan of steel case ammo. Tula is possibly the best of the worst. I will ONLY use brass or aluminum now

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
That's a nice looking revolver,

·
Administrator
18,414 Posts
Very Nice Revolver! :cool: Congratulations and may it serve you well! :smile:

·
Registered
969 Posts
Since it's stamped .38 Special, it might be a safer bet. The SAAMI Max Average Pressure for .38 Sp. is 17,000 PSI and 20,000 PSI for +P. For .357 Magnum it's 35,000 PSI.

They do appear to be good values, but I'm not sure about sustained use of .357 Magnum loads in their .357 Magnum models. You can do plenty with .38 Sp. +P. I don't use factory ammo except maybe for occasional testing, but I'd have 0 interest in firing any .357 Magnum load in a steel case. Remember that a brass case is far more elastic than steel, making it easier for cases to expand to the cylinders.;)

·
23,204 Posts
Nice looking revolver.
It's funny, sometimes I look at a Windicator and think "looks aren't everything," and other times they look very handsome. Dunno.

Reactions: slong115

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Just a word of warning here. Do not remove the screw that holds the cylinder release down, for cleaning or any other reason. There are small parts under there that will fall out of the gun. Don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just a word of warning here. Do not remove the screw that holds the cylinder release down, for cleaning or any other reason. There are small parts under there that will fall out of the gun. Don't ask me how I know.
Thank you for the info, will pass it on. We all make mistakes

·
Registered
345 Posts
It's funny, sometimes I look at a Windicator and think "looks aren't everything," and other times they look very handsome. Dunno.
I have the snubby version with the blued finish. The fit & finish on mine is excellent! Even the low end German firearms live up to the high standards for which the Germans are well known. I wanted the 4" model for quite some time but ended up buying a Taurus SS 66 in 4" instead. (Pleased but perhaps should have waited for the EAA). I still may invest in a 4" Windicator (preferably in the nickel finish) if the timing is right.
I too, experienced an issue with the bullets creeping out of the case with some reloads that I did up. They came out enough to prevent the cylinder from rotating!. The lack of sufficient crimp was the culprit. No longer an issue with MY reloads.
Flex

·
Registered
37,067 Posts
ahh just asking, but you see a few years ago when I drank a lot and visited Clubs down on Stewart Avenue I had the same problems!
just saying!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts