Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My middle daughter just got hired as a park ranger assistant... tell she takes the Leo course (15 weeks) next spring. Her current pistol is a TX22, I'm thinking about getting her a 9mm so she can get some practice in before training. I have Glock 17 that she shoots well that I would give her but I can't reach the slide release without changing my grip so no way she can. I like the idea of keeping the controls the same so the tx22 w/safety would still be a good practice gun. I have my choice picked out, but don't want to sway your choices. Let me hear them.

Thanks
David

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
My personal choice is the TH9 & TH9C. The TH9 is the full size version that comes with two 17+1 magazines.
The TH9C is the compact version, and comes with one 13+1 magazine, and an extended 17+1 magazine.
The TH9C is the size of a G2C, which is a great gun, and I carried it for many years. What I like about the TH9 & TH9C is that they have a decocker, and they are hammer fired. I don't have anything against striker-fired guns, but if everything else is equal, I'd rather have a hammer.

The TH guns have an external manual safety that doubles as a decocker.
What's really great, is that the guns are single AND double-action fired. Which means that even with the hammer decocked, all you have to do is pull the trigger. The trigger will pull back the hammer, and then release the hammer to fire the round.
In single-action mode (hammer pulled back), the trigger pull is around 5 lbs (pretty standard).
In double-action mode (decocked), the trigger pull is closer to 9 lbs.

·
Registered
29,515 Posts
Go to a range that has a rental program and let her try whichever guns are on the dept approved list. Let her pick, not us.
(Last I heard, they carried Sigs.)
BTW: It's only full rangers, special agents and park police that carry in the NPS.

·
Registered
870 Posts
My middle daughter just got hired as a park ranger assistant... tell she takes the Leo course (15 weeks) next spring. Her current pistol is a TX22, I'm thinking about getting her a 9mm so she can get some practice in before training. I have Glock 17 that she shoots well that I would give her but I can't reach the slide release without changing my grip so no way she can. I like the idea of keeping the controls the same so the tx22 w/safety would still be a good practice gun. I have my choice picked out, but don't want to sway your choices. Let me hear them.

Thanks
David

The slide release can be reached with the weak hand or sling shot method. while reloading a magazine the thumb is already there, just use it. In this manner the strong hand does not have to release the grip. It is the way I have done so for over 40 years of carrying a handgun...retired LEO.

Will she be issued a firearm...most agencies seem to do so these days.

·
Administrator
18,931 Posts
My recommendations are, in order of preference:
1) Canik TP9DA
2) S&W M&P 2.0 Compact
3) Glock 19
4) S&W SD9VE

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
If she's going to be a park ranger then shouldn't she have something with a bit more oomph than .22LR or even 9mm, just in case she ends up facing down a wild animal?

I'd recommend an M&P40. There are some police trade-ins on Aimsurplus right now for $319, which is a great value. It's a full size gun, so recoil shouldn't be an issue, but the grip is thinner than a Glock and it comes with three different sized backstraps so she should be able to reach all the controls just fine with the smallest size installed.
If .40 S&W ends up being too much for her, then it can cheaply/easily be converted to 9mm, but I doubt it will be, and with ordinary 180gr flat-nosed FMJ, ought to be enough to deal with any predator she might encounter in the woods.

·
Registered
953 Posts

Thanks
David
Why are you choosing her gun? Why are you asking us to help? You wouldn't ask us to help pick her shoes, purse or under garments for her. She's a big girl now. She should make that choice for herself. In addition, it's her job. More importantly, it's potentially her life. Men aren't born with the gun gene. I heard a guy say once, "If you can't trust her to choose her gun, how in the world can you trust her to be able to use it if she ever needs to?" I have a fairly sizeable collection, far more than most ranges that rent. My wife and all my daughters had the opportunity to try several models to get an idea what they liked and disliked. When they finally made their purchases, I just went along for the ride and let them ask questions if they felt they needed to. My major reason for going was to keep the video game warrior behind the counter from trying to pressure them into something. Let her choose.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
@Dad1911
With all due respect, have you ever tried asking a woman to pick out a gun for themselves? Because in my experience it typically goes one of the following ways...

• They'll tell you that they don't want/need one.
  • They'll look around aimlessly, unable to come to a decision, overwhelmed by the sheer number of firearms available to choose from.
  • They'll ask for advice/recomendations/directions on which gun they should choose.

If a woman wants a gun, knows what gun she wants, and requires no assistance whatsoever, then she'll buy it herself without any male presence or suggestions required.
Otherwise, she needs help.

Also, sometimes women like men to take the lead because it takes the pressure off of them, and appreciate it when a man in their life knows when to step in and take the lead.
This is where modern men with modern sensibilities strike out with the ladies by making the rash assumption that every woman on Earth is a; "Strong independent woman who don't need no man" and thusly always hangs back, never doing anything chivalrous or gentlemanly.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
@Dad1911
With all due respect, have you ever tried asking a woman to pick out a gun for themselves? Because in my experience it typically goes one of the following ways...

• They'll look around aimlessly, unable to come to a decision, overwhelmed by the sheer number of firearms available to choose from.
  • They'll ask for advice/recomendations/directions on which gun they should choose.

If a woman wants a gun, knows what gun she wants, and requires no assistance whatsoever, then she'll buy it herself without any male presence or suggestions required.

Also, sometimes women like men to take the lead because it takes the pressure off of them, and appreciate it when a man in their life knows when to step in and take the lead.
This is where modern men with modern sensibilities strike out with the ladies by making the rash assumption that every woman on Earth is a; "Strong independent woman who don't need no man" and thusly always hangs back, never doing anything chivalrous or gentlemanly.
The above is why she should go to a range with a wide variety of rental guns and "try it before you buy it" as the saying goes. This is assuming that she even has a choice of sidearms, which is why she should find that out before doing anything else, and wasting time and money.

If she finds out that she will be issued a specific make model and caliber then she can go to a range that has that gun as a rental and practice with that. If not she should at least find out if the agency has specific requirements and then try out guns that fit that criteria.

·
Registered
953 Posts
@Dad1911

Threads like this make me cringe. You didn't read all of my post or the OP's This young lady will be taking a LEO course in a few weeks. I doubt that her decision will be based on the color of her eyes or favorite lipstick color. My wife and all my daughters chose. Every woman I've ever coached chose. More guns go up for sale because the man bought a gun for his wife, mother, sister, daughter, etc. she didn't like it. Those that aren't sold, sit un-fired in the top of the closet or hidden in an underwear drawer. It's not 1950 anymore. Today, women smoke, get tattoos, ride motorcycles, can burp as loud as any man I know and they buy guns. Percentage-wise, I know more women that carry than men. Every one is extremely knowledgeable and trained. Many of the men I know don't know the difference between a clip and a magazine. If you have the knowledge, training and experience, the best you can do is coach and make recommendations. Whatever you do, don't choose for her. If you choose for her, she's just going along with it to keep the peace, not because she agrees with your choice.

·
Registered
953 Posts
The above is why she should go to a range with a wide variety of rental guns and "try it before you buy it" as the saying goes. This is assuming that she even has a choice of sidearms, which is why she should find that out before doing anything else, and wasting time and money.

If she finds out that she will be issued a specific make model and caliber then she can go to a range that has that gun as a rental and practice with that. If not she should at least find out if the agency has specific requirements and then try out guns that fit that criteria.
Exactly. There are no ranges near me that rent, but there's no reason not to make it a fun day. If there's nothing close by, drive an hour or two, rent a few guns to try and grab some lunch someplace different. That way relieves the stress and anxiety of making such an important decision. Making memories too.

·
Registered
890 Posts
If she's going to be a park ranger then shouldn't she have something with a bit more oomph than .22LR or even 9mm, just in case she ends up facing down a wild animal?

I'd recommend an M&P40. There are some police trade-ins on Aimsurplus right now for $319, which is a great value. It's a full size gun, so recoil shouldn't be an issue, but the grip is thinner than a Glock and it comes with three different sized backstraps so she should be able to reach all the controls just fine with the smallest size installed.
If .40 S&W ends up being too much for her, then it can cheaply/easily be converted to 9mm, but I doubt it will be, and with ordinary 180gr flat-nosed FMJ, ought to be enough to deal with any predator she might encounter in the woods.
An M&P LEO Trade-In is a solid recommendation. I have one and love it.

To stir the pot further I would also add the Ruger Security 9. It's full size and can accept extended mags., has a slightly slimmer profile for medium to smaller hands, and was designed to be easier to rack which is a plus depending on hand strength.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Part of buying a gun for her, is I get to shoot it first, if she doesn't like it oh well I have a another one.

Her BF has a 17 gen 4 and 43x I think, she's not a great fan of the 43x haven't been with her shooting his 17, he had it in one of those frame things last time we went shooting.

I have a G2c, after shooting the my G17 gen 3 with aftermarket trigger bar or something and fiber/tritium sights, the G2c trigger sucks so she's not a fan of it. Need to replace it with a keep tinkering. Even if the G17 fit her better the aftermarket mods (done before I bought it) would exclude it.

We only get the occasional black bear or mountain lion around here so I think 9 mm with defense ammo will suffice and I have 4-5,000's of 9mm bullets and probably 1500+ ready to shoot.

Her class isn't till January so plenty of time for me to play with the new purchase before handing it over. For myself I like long barrels, M&P 2.0 FDE 9mm with thumb safety is on my like to try it out list. But a black 4.25" is $140 or so cheaper.

I like the M&P w/safety as controls same as TX22, can loaded/unloaded with the safety engaged on both. The changeable backstraps is a plus. Other plus is my other daugher has a m&p 22lr, if it ends up with her it will feel almost the same.

Hadn't though of the Ruger SR, coworker has a SR22 I've shot it a little, will look into those.

Using my G17 in 25 or so USPSA/IDPA matches it's just a little slower for me to have to use the weak hand to release the slide. Real world odds are I/her will never have to reload in a stressful situation quickly.

A Canik is also on my like to try list.

Interested in trying a TH9 for myself as I like DA/SA w/decocker, but for her & most shooter (IMO) having the same trigger pull every time is easier.

·
Registered
29,515 Posts
Still comes down to that by the time she is allowed to carry on the job, she will be told what she can or can't carry. She will go through one of their seven academies and they will teach her to shoot in accord with their policies and rules.

If you just want to buy a new gun, buy yourself a gun you want.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
The same trigger pull is important for competition shootingion; but if you're in a situation where you need to shoot somebody, or something fast, you are never going to feel the extra 4 lbs; and after the first shot, all the rest are 5 lbs.
Plus, if you have time, you can always pull the hammer back with your thumb.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Threads like this make me cringe.
That's fascinating, would you care to know what makes me cringe? No, well I'm going to tell you anyway, it's pretentious nonsense like this...

It's not 1950 anymore. Today, women smoke, get tattoos, ride motorcycles, can burp as loud as any man I know and they buy guns. Percentage-wise, I know more women that carry than men. Every one is extremely knowledgeable and trained. Many of the men I know don't know the difference between a clip and a magazine.
I don't know how old you are or where you live, but I was born in 1986 in Pennsylvania, USA. Here, the women I've grown up around have always smoked cigarettes, gotten tattoos, and rode motorcycles, although they didn't belch much, but then again, I'm not really certain what gastrointestinal biological functions have to do with any of this, so I'm just going to call it irrelevant. So this modern-day Gas Lighting that any of those things are brand new and that women were all oppressed until recent years, is a load of nonsense which I can only presume that adolescents and perhaps some folks living deep in some isolated community somewhere where it may have been true actually believe, but here, not so.

As a result, throughout my adult life, I have always thought of women as equals, while still trying my best to be respectful of the fact that they are different than men, so we don't always think alike. With that in mind, I expect women to make decisions independently without my intervention, and typically don't involve myself in their decisions. However, in the event in which a woman I am close to repeatedly avoids making certain decisions, yet continuously reminds me that it's something they plan on doing, I take that as a hint that they want my help, but are simply unwilling to ask for it directly for reasons which escape my comprehension. Nevertheless, I recognize and understand their intent, and seeing as they've never corrected me or attempted to stop me but rather thanked me afterwards for stepping in and lending a hand under such circumstances, I take that as confirmation that I am correct in my assumptions.

I cannot fathom why it is that men with modern-day sensibilities are so blind or otherwise just so hopelessly self-conscious about "being sexist" that they go out of their way to stay out of their women's hair, even when they so clearly desire assistance.
A confident woman knows what she wants and will typically go after it all by their lonesome, so when they drag their feet, hesitate, and repeatedly mention that they want/need to do it around a man, that means they want help. Maybe they don't really need it, maybe they just want you to be there, just want you to be involved because it's a big deal and they want their father or significant other there when they do it so that it can become part of a cherished memory, but regardless, one thing is clear, they want you involved. Men who aren't receptive towards this are often times met with disappointment, anger, or sadness when they fail to step up.

Believe me, I know from experience because I have been that fool, the clueless man who misses every hint, every clue, every tug. I let my share of women down that way, and I regret it terribly.

It may not fit with today's twisted sensibilities, but women aren't men, they don't think like men, react like men, or feel the same way that men do. Yes, they are most certainly equals, but they aren't the same, and treating them as if you are speaking to or dealing with a man is not what they want or appreciate, ESPECIALLY if they claim otherwise!

God made men and women to work together, not independently, and not in such a way that one can effectively be replaced or substituted by behaving like one another. The fact that gender roles have been relaxed or outright abandoned doesn't make women more like men nor men more like women, and that's an incredibly silly way of thinking. Gender roles were not the result of repression, merely people falling into habits which over time came to be known as distinctively masculine or feminine, even though neither was such a thing in fact. Women can chop wood while men wash clothes, go to work while men stay home and take care of the household, or they can both work together, it all works, and ultimately makes no difference. However, the problem lies in the fact that those roles were originally habitual, meaning that typically speaking, folks were more comfortable in those roles, while others were not, and once they had become accepted as gender-specific, people started treating them less like habits and more like rules, providing no freedom of choice on the matter, and that was unquestionably wrong. Unfortunately, folks have since fought it too hard, labeled it as oppressive, and now women are expected to do otherwise because if they choose to take on roles which were previously considered specifically feminine, then they're repressing themselves! To heck with if it's what they want, nevermind if it's what they're more comfortable doing, it's unacceptable and they have to go out and get jobs because housewives are a thing of the past, repressive by nature.

I could rant about how stupid that is for hours, outlining in excruciating detail just how completely backwards that way of thinking is, and how literally nothing has been accomplished by such misplaced sentiments but a new form of oppression, but it's pointless and I've already wasted enough time responding to these misplaced sentiments when I already know from experience that people are far too dumb to recognize their folly, even when it's pointed out to them as I just have.
Still, I refuse to be spoken to in such a condescending manner by anyone, least of all by the socially indoctrinated fools of today who preach such utter nonsense.

·
Registered
953 Posts
That's fascinating, would you care to know what makes me cringe? No, well I'm going to tell you anyway, it's pretentious nonsense like this...

I don't know how old you are or where you live, but I was born in 1986 in Pennsylvania, USA. Here, the women I've grown up around have always smoked cigarettes, gotten tattoos, and rode motorcycles, although they didn't belch much, but then again, I'm not really certain what gastrointestinal biological functions have to do with any of this, so I'm just going to call it irrelevant. So this modern-day Gas Lighting that any of those things are brand new and that women were all oppressed until recent years, is a load of nonsense which I can only presume that adolescents and perhaps some folks living deep in some isolated community somewhere where it may have been true actually believe, but here, not so.

As a result, throughout my adult life, I have always thought of women as equals, while still trying my best to be respectful of the fact that they are different than men, so we don't always think alike. With that in mind, I expect women to make decisions independently without my intervention, and typically don't involve myself in their decisions. However, in the event in which a woman I am close to repeatedly avoids making certain decisions, yet continuously reminds me that it's something they plan on doing, I take that as a hint that they want my help, but are simply unwilling to ask for it directly for reasons which escape my comprehension. Nevertheless, I recognize and understand their intent, and seeing as they've never corrected me or attempted to stop me but rather thanked me afterwards for stepping in and lending a hand under such circumstances, I take that as confirmation that I am correct in my assumptions.

I cannot fathom why it is that men with modern-day sensibilities are so blind or otherwise just so hopelessly self-conscious about "being sexist" that they go out of their way to stay out of their women's hair, even when they so clearly desire assistance.
A confident woman knows what she wants and will typically go after it all by their lonesome, so when they drag their feet, hesitate, and repeatedly mention that they want/need to do it around a man, that means they want help. Maybe they don't really need it, maybe they just want you to be there, just want you to be involved because it's a big deal and they want their father or significant other there when they do it so that it can become part of a cherished memory, but regardless, one thing is clear, they want you involved. Men who aren't receptive towards this are often times met with disappointment, anger, or sadness when they fail to step up.

Believe me, I know from experience because I have been that fool, the clueless man who misses every hint, every clue, every tug. I let my share of women down that way, and I regret it terribly.

It may not fit with today's twisted sensibilities, but women aren't men, they don't think like men, react like men, or feel the same way that men do. Yes, they are most certainly equals, but they aren't the same, and treating them as if you are speaking to or dealing with a man is not what they want or appreciate, ESPECIALLY if they claim otherwise!

God made men and women to work together, not independently, and not in such a way that one can effectively be replaced or substituted by behaving like one another. The fact that gender roles have been relaxed or outright abandoned doesn't make women more like men nor men more like women, and that's an incredibly silly way of thinking. Gender roles were not the result of repression, merely people falling into habits which over time came to be known as distinctively masculine or feminine, even though neither was such a thing in fact. Women can chop wood while men wash clothes, go to work while men stay home and take care of the household, or they can both work together, it all works, and ultimately makes no difference. However, the problem lies in the fact that those roles were originally habitual, meaning that typically speaking, folks were more comfortable in those roles, while others were not, and once they had become accepted as gender-specific, people started treating them less like habits and more like rules, providing no freedom of choice on the matter, and that was unquestionably wrong. Unfortunately, folks have since fought it too hard, labeled it as oppressive, and now women are expected to do otherwise because if they choose to take on roles which were previously considered specifically feminine, then they're repressing themselves! To heck with if it's what they want, nevermind if it's what they're more comfortable doing, it's unacceptable and they have to go out and get jobs because housewives are a thing of the past, repressive by nature.

I could rant about how stupid that is for hours, outlining in excruciating detail just how completely backwards that way of thinking is, and how literally nothing has been accomplished by such misplaced sentiments but a new form of oppression, but it's pointless and I've already wasted enough time responding to these misplaced sentiments when I already know from experience that people are far too dumb to recognize their folly, even when it's pointed out to them as I just have.
Still, I refuse to be spoken to in such a condescending manner by anyone, least of all by the socially indoctrinated fools of today who preach such utter nonsense.
I'm not sure if I agree, disagree or even sure where you're trying to go with this. I'm just glad you were able to get it off your chest. My bottom line, as it relates to the topic of this thread is whether man or woman, ultimately the choice of firearm should be an informed an educated choice made by the individual for which it is intended. The only exception being if the agency has standard requirements. Some agencies have a list of acceptable duty guns and require you to qualify with that firearm before you are allowed to carry it. Before I would spend a penny, I would check with said agency to see if they have such requirements or if they have an established standard. If so, anything said up to this point is completely irrelevant.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts