Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Star 30M that I had Duracoated and during the process of preparing the frame and the actual coating, the serial number is barely visible. I an not happy with the condition of the Duracoating and am contemplating having it redone. My concern is, if after a subsiquent recoating, the serial number becomes completely obliterated, how much trouble can I get in? Of course since I am in Illinois it would probably be a long jail sentence but I'll leave that discussion for the political forum.

Reactions: RevolverFan

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
I would say it shouldn't be a problem. You have not removed the SN in any permanent manner such as by grinding it away. The number could be recovered at anytime even if it were totally filled in with too many coats of Duracoat or such like material. Of course you would need to strip away the duracoating to do so. Also, it could make a difference as to what brand you are coating, some manufactures like to stamp their products in a number of different locations.
Of course, I could be wrong also.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reason I was concerned is the guy doing it says he would be sandblasting the components and that in and of itself seems like I wouldn't want him doing my gun.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would make sense. We'll see if I go with it. It's not too bad, but there is an area in the grooves on the backstrap where the original job rubbed off, like the area wasn't properly prepared and since I had to have the first guy rework it twice and he ruined the grips by prying them off, he's not gonna touch it again.

·
Super Moderator
35,550 Posts

·
Registered
10,781 Posts
The coating shouldn't be so thick that it obscures the serial number. The idea is that, properly applied, and cured, the coating isn't very thick, at all.

No sand-blasting. Bead blasting with glass beads, plastic beads, or corncob media should remove the coating without ruining the underlying metal. The Bersa that I had done for my step-daughter, has all markings easily visible under the coating.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
The SN can be recut in the same font as the original. Document the recutting, law enforcement verification and noterized paper trail. There is a recommended process for this, contact your nearest BATFE field office and get their recommendations. Check the BATFE web site and ask them. Not all guns had SN but if it had, it must still have it. Removal or obliteration will lead to confiscation and probably charges.

I've had two guns, one rifle and one revolver Duracoted, The SN's on my guns are clear and legible just like day one. I suspect that your vendor did not use the recommended procedure.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As of right now the SN is visible AND legible. I am only thinking about down the road if I do have it redone. Of course if I get the courage to try it myself, I would only do a "touch-up job" on the only area needing it. The shop I asked about redoing it, said for him to guarantee the work, he would have to strip it completely and start over. Not that I blame him for that.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I have a Star 30M that I had Duracoated and during the process of preparing the frame and the actual coating, the serial number is barely visible. I an not happy with the condition of the Duracoating and am contemplating having it redone. My concern is, if after a subsiquent recoating, the serial number becomes completely obliterated, how much trouble can I get in? Of course since I am in Illinois it would probably be a long jail sentence but I'll leave that discussion for the political forum.

Hey, Say I'm a dummy, but will someone tell me what duracoating is?
I assume it's an exterior coating but what's it do and what's it for?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DuraCoat is a resin not paint but is sprayed on like paint and is supposed to be very durable.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
It is quite durable....if you decide to re-do it down the road, have it chemically stripped and applied professionally. You'll like the results.

I would suggest Cerakote in place of Duracoat for the next time.

·
Registered
88 Posts
maybe mask the serial number so it doesn't get the second coat on top of it? I think I might have masked it off to begin with but hindsight....;)

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I was advised to let mine cure for 6-8 months before I placed it in a stressful use condition, such as hunting, foul weather or riding in a case or holster. I did so, more than 8 months. It is now tough enough to stand up to steel wool(0000) and solvents. Good product when applied and used properly.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I was advised to let mine cure for 6-8 months before I placed it in a stressful use condition, such as hunting, foul weather or riding in a case or holster. I did so, more than 8 months. It is now tough enough to stand up to steel wool(0000) and solvents. Good product when applied and used properly.

Could someone show pics of their gun with duracoat and without the coating?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Could someone show pics of their gun with duracoat and without the coating?
When I get home I'll post before and after photos of my Star

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Great thread Popeye -- not something I would have thought about before. I do understand your worries though. Are there any other parts of your pistol that are serialized, e.g., slide, barrel? If so, you should be okay.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Kinda let this slip so here are the pictures before I forget again:

Before refinishing:
Before.jpg

After Duracoating:
Duracoated.jpg

Backstrap where the Duracoat has come off:
Backstrap.jpg

·
Registered
811 Posts
You could always look on line for some one in your area that does laser engraving, It is not that expensive, I just had one done with my dates of service, for 70.00 bucks and just go have the number done on the slide or wherever you want..along with a cool skull and crossbones!

http://www.customizedcreationz.com/services/laserengraving.html

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts