Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody Duracoated a gun before? I was thinking of getting my TCP 738 done in flat dark earth. Any thoughts or concerns? I know a shop that will do it for $100, so its not too bad of a price. Thanks.:guns:

·
Registered
21,118 Posts
Just make site it functions properly before you leave the shop. I had my pt809 done and didn't realize the trigger wasn't resetting correctly. It took a few days before they got back to me but they're making it right.

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
195 Posts
You can get it done for less than that, say $70-80. I got my S&W 638 Duracoated Gloss Black. It shows zero carry wear and doesn't even show finger prints. The only wear is the line around the cylinder, which is unavoidable.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I just Duracoated my PT145 and like it. I also did an AR and it is holding up very well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Don't know if it matters to you or not but when I talked to Taurus recently I brought up the subject of duracoating my 738 and was told it would void my warranty.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
The only reason I can come up with is that someone has taken apart the internals. I don't think they will sell any trigger parts, call it restrictive parts. I honestly don't know

·
Registered
36,676 Posts
Don't know if it matters to you or not but when I talked to Taurus recently I brought up the subject of duracoating my 738 and was told it would void my warranty.
this could be true, I have no actual knowledge one way or the other, but i would tend to believe that this is one of those "you got a weird one on the phone" when you called taurus!
and its open ended I imagine as well.
for instance if you had a gun refinished and the refinishing or the material refinished with interfered with the opertaion then yep i can see the warranty not be honored.
But if you had a problem with say the disconnector and only the exterior of the gun was refinished I doubt that would effect the warranty process at all?
again I don't know for certain but!!!
Kind of like i took the cheesy cheap polymer grips off my gun, the frame broke and the warranty was void because i changed grips-- Kind of far out in my opinion.

·
Registered
36,676 Posts
That's the reason firearm refinishing places like CCR Refinishing refuse to coat or touch the inside of the barrels in order not to void the warranty.
I think it may be more that any finish applied to the inside of the barrel or chamber would alter the actual deminsions of those areas, and considering the pressures and tempertures that are present upon firing I doubt that you would find any coating that would hold up to that abuse.
also if the coating peeled, or flaked it could produce a drastic pressure spike when a bullet was fired if that clogged the barrel much at all.
I have 2 weapons that were Z-coated many, many years ago, thats the most durable finish that i have ever seen on any weapon, they are totally coated inside and out, springs,sears, bolts, everything (EXCEPT) the barrels bore and chamber.

Reactions: Taurus10

·
Registered
666 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts