Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
My only concern with duracoat is how well it stands up to scrubing and cleaning. Also will the entire frame be another color, like where the origanal frame was black with everything now be the new color, or is it just on the outside ???

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
NYPD, thanks for the info but thats kind of a long list. Could you find a link to the list for us? Once I saw how long it was I just scrolled right on down to see the replies.

Steelheart

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I've used norels and durcoat, both are good I like norels a little better. It isn't hard to do it yourself, just make sure you bake it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
DuraCoat is pretty durable, but not totally resistant to harsh solvents. You just have to remember that it is a rugged, but painted-on surface.

Another, even more rugged option would be to have us hard chrome it, we could do it as a matte finish which would look similiar to your grey DuraCoat, but would be even more resistant to the elements.

Our company could do it for you, we guarantee our work and will do a great job.

Jason Esterline
www.elitecustomguns.com
704-225-3161

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I've used DuraCoat for several projects. The DuraCoat is a pretty durable finish IF it is prepared properly... I did a pistol and coated the extractor. About a year and a half later I decided to polish the finish on the extractor... I used several grades of emery cloth and paper... and I must say that I was impressed. I got some off the edges, but the bulk of the finish has taken hold of the metal and it just won't be sanded off without some very firm determination.

A few things to watch for...

Get a good finish on the gun with best metal finish and be very sure you have it completely degreased.

Realize that the finish is an epoxy mixture and if you use the full mix of hardener... to get the best finish... you can have the mixture set up in your sprayer and it will just about ruin a spray gun if it sets very long at all. Also realize that if you have the color for some time it can thicken and again make it impossible to get through the sprayer.

Aside from these issues, it will provide a very durable coating... read carefully and prepare thoroughly. Don't try to put too thick a coating on at one spray, etc. When you get a good finish you will be happy with it for quite a while.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steelheart said:
NYPD, thanks for the info but thats kind of a long list. Could you find a link to the list for us? Once I saw how long it was I just scrolled right on down to see the replies.

Steelheart
Here's the link to Lauer custom---just click on the left side where it says Certified Finishers

http://www.lauerweaponry.com/

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Thanks, the thread is much easier to read now.

Steelheart

·
Registered
13 Posts
Cimarron, I couldn't agree with you more... DuraCoat is very durable, but the key is in the application.

You have to PREP correctly, and get your mixture right, then we bake it to insure that it cures correctly in the beginning to return it to the customer in good-faith.

We do them all the time, and people seem to be very happy with it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I looked into refinishing a pistol of mine and found that to me, it's worth the $200 to send somewhere and have it refinished. I don't have like three days to dedicate to putting 8 million even coats on all the parts.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I ordered some Duracoat products some time ago but haven't taken the opportunity to use them yet. I ordered them online from Lauer Custom Weaponry and they got me my stuff quick; will post if I ever get around to using them. Oh, I also ordered their night site "glo" kit; that will probably be what I try out first from them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts