Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want a 856 Taurus in Black. How dose the Taurus Black finish hold up on Revolvers carried in a leather holster?

·
9,090 Posts
That newer matte finish is a constant source of complaint. However I found that keeping a thin coating of ballistol on the finish, makes it more durable and a bit more glossy. But I haven't carried in leather that much, I use kydex.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I love my 85 with a black finish. But the finish is lousy. I carry mine in a Tagua OWB leather holster and it began showing wear very quickly.

I hate beating up on Taurus but they blew it with this finish.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
I'm getting tired of retelling this story, so please pardon my bluntness on the subject...

Taurus' current matte black finish is absolutely terrible. It is neither durable nor rust-resistant, will wear off in under a year from routine daily carry, and will rust beneath the grips if they aren't periodically removed for cleaning/lubrication. This is coming from personal, first-hand experience regarding my brother's Taurus Judge and TCP-738, both of which had to be refininshed with Duracoat in short order as a result of the poor quality of Taurus' matte black finish.

If you're going to buy a Taurus of recent production, then spend a bit extra for Stainless Steel. Even if you can't stand the sight of bead-blasted Stainless Steel or have an unwavering affinity for black finishes, you're better off getting it in Stainless with a can of Duracoat or sending it off to be Cerakoted, especially since Duracoat/Cerakote adhere more nicely to a rough bead-blasted finish.

Hopefully someday in the future Taurus will replace their current matte black finish with the far superior Melonite treatment which is currently exclusive to their Spectrum 380 pistol line. Until then, stay away!

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Yeah, the finish on my 605 is thin at best, but I am really anal when it comes to my guns, so leather or kydex is the same to me. I wipe ANY carry gun down DAILY. Did I mention I am very picky about my guns? ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts