Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm kind of new here. Been reading for a while but recently joined so I could get some answers and hopefully participate in helping others in the future.

My question about durability is basically for all guns but I'm sure it may vary.
I recently got two new pistols. One is a Taurus Millenium G2 9mm and the other is a S&W M&P 40. My first gun was an Italian Tanfoglio 380, where the barrel was part of the frame. So this floating barrel is a whole new thing to me.
So.. when I started reading reviews on the new guns I bought, I read where some people say it takes around 300 to 400 rounds before it's broke in. I found out that there must be something to it because when I first started shooting my G2, it was fairly spot on target. But after about 200 rounds it was way off and I had to adjust the sights. Is this part of the break in routine?
As for durability, how many rounds can I expect to put through these guns before I have to have them serviced?

I also have some questions about storage. I'm currently storing my ammo in my basement in ammo boxes. I keep a dehumidifier running in the summer at 35% humidity. I also keep ammo in the clips for long periods at a time. Like up to 6 months. Is that ok? Does it hurt the ammo or the clip?

Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Registered
718 Posts
As for the G2 I have put 4k+ rnds thru mine and had to send it in for repairs. They replaced the striker and the recoil assembly. Mine has been spot on ever since I got it. Im sure others can help ya with ur other questions.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Hey guys,

I also have some questions about storage. I'm currently storing my ammo in my basement in ammo boxes. I keep a dehumidifier running in the summer at 35% humidity. I also keep ammo in the clips for long periods at a time. Like up to 6 months. Is that ok? Does it hurt the ammo or the clip?

Thanks for any help you can give.
You may want to use magazines instead of clips, since you are new here, we won't sent you to the guillotine. :D:D:D

I think you are doing a great deal with the ammo storage. I don't believe the ammo in magazines for a long time hurts the magazine. Loading and unloading does the most wear.

Reactions: AOCM.RET and Gulch

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
Flexion not compression wears a spring out. If I were real worried about I I'd buy some extra springs and tuck back. Surprised more folks who worry don't do that.

There is no "magic" number for a gun's lifespan without "tune up". I know people that could wear out anything in 2,000 rounds and others that can get 4x that much out of the same gun.

I wish I could afford the ammo and the time to wear out barrels but a long as, with a semi, the barrel is solid, the frame and slide are too, most anything else is probably spring or parts replacement level stuff that IMO most shooters should be able to do, on most guns, by the time they need it.

The "break in" issue can start long thread wars, some people screech like scalded cat at the suggestion gun would take a break in period, others get halfway to needing part replacements before they consider a gun "broken in". The practical fact is that there is no rule carved in stone and lots of exceptions to any rule that could be written. If either of the 2 guns you have (and I got a 24/7 G2 and an M&P "pro", both in .40, recently) malfunctions after about 50 rds, and if you cleaned and lubed them right off then it's a "problem" not a "break in" IMO.

OTOH I do know of some semis that function fine, mostly, right out of the box but they do improve in accuracy in the first 100 rds as things "settle in". I would have chucked couple in my past if I hadn't given them the benefit of the doubt. And, "No", they weren't all guns I was unfamiliar with, a couple were my second identical or close to, in that given model. I am going through it right now, although I am not concerned, with a design I am quite familiar with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, that was great input and I appreciate all the info. Bsmart2793, wow 4000 rounds. That's a lot to me. Does the recoil assy include the slide?
Plano Mark, I grew up hearing and using the word clip, but I will change to magazine :)
leftcoastrebel, thanks for the tip on the springs. I didn't think about that. They are tight as hell anyway, but I'm sure they need to be that way. Oh and I understand what you mean about the break in debate. I used to race RC buggies and there has been a long debate about how to break them in properly.
I was wondering why I had a hard time using the clip in my searhces :) lol
Thanks again!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts