Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got this new canoe to hunt out of on Buffalo Lake, a lake on a WMA on the Texas coast. I finally got it registered so I can run a motor on it, 27 lb thrust trolling motor i had already. Man, that thing scoots along pretty good! I was impressed, anyway. We drove down to Port Lavaca and got a RV spot at one of the local RV parks. I had wanted to camp at Indianola, but the fishing center is under renovation and we couldn't stay there, bummer. We were going to do some fishing there after my hunting trip. Oh, well....

So, I didn't think to take a pic in the marsh, dang it, had the camera in the truck. I only shot 3, though. Duck hunting has been pretty sorry this season. I don't know where the big ducks are. Today's ducks were a teal and 2 ruddy ducks. But, had fun and tested out the canoe.

I rigged this redneck rear canoe carrier out of a chain link fence post I had laying around and a chunk of 1.25" conduit for the cross member. It is leaning, but bolted where it can't go anywhere. I stopped in the HEB parking lot across from the bank, had to go into the bank, and shot this picture of the set up. Traveling sportsman. :D

21c5put.jpg

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
You sure need to wash that truck!:D:D:D Or, is the dirt and grime holding it together?:icon_ poke:

·
Super Moderator
35,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live 2 miles down a private, ill maintained dirt road. Washing vehicles is a waste of water. :D

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
A nice ladder rack/canoe carrier can be made from unistrut. Bolts together, so comes apart for easy storage. Was plans for them on the web a few years ago. No welding and basic hand tools. Ducks and geese usually fly over not too far from the house when migrating. This year have not been that many?

·
Super Moderator
40,478 Posts
Wow do I miss duck and goose hunting in North East Ohio. :(

·
Registered
6,183 Posts
My hat is off to you folks that can hunt Duck. I went one time. That one time was the coldest, most miserable day of my life. They put me out is a marsh, in freezing, wet weather in a pair of hip waders that I soon discovered to be four inches too short for the water level. And then expected me to be able to hit those little flying bullets when I'm shaking so bad I can barely hold the frozen gun. Nope, I'll stay with the Doves and skeeters.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
My hat is off to you folks that can hunt Duck. I went one time. That one time was the coldest, most miserable day of my life. They put me out is a marsh, in freezing, wet weather in a pair of hip waders that I soon discovered to be four inches too short for the water level. And then expected me to be able to hit those little flying bullets !!!when I'm shaking so bad I can barely hold the frozen gun. Nope, I'll stay with the Doves and skeeters.
Amen!!!

·
Super Moderator
35,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My hat is off to you folks that can hunt Duck. I went one time. That one time was the coldest, most miserable day of my life. They put me out is a marsh, in freezing, wet weather in a pair of hip waders that I soon discovered to be four inches too short for the water level. And then expected me to be able to hit those little flying bullets when I'm shaking so bad I can barely hold the frozen gun. Nope, I'll stay with the Doves and skeeters.
But, it's fun! :D

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Back when I was under 50 it might have been fun but my bones ache too much now.

·
Registered
24,546 Posts
Duck hunting is for the insane. Have fun.

·
Super Moderator
35,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Back when I was under 50 it might have been fun but my bones ache too much now.
I was walking back from area 10 one season, cold damp day, and walked op on a couple of old fellows having a break. They were towing a wagon with their stuff in it, sitting on their marsh chairs and chatting. Turns out they were from Missouri, hunt a NWR up there where you have to put in a drawing for a blind. They said they always got a spot, but that year they'd missed out. SO, one of 'ems son was working down here. They came down so they wouldn't totally miss out on duck season. These guys were lifetime duck hunting buddies and just loved duck hunting. They were well in to their 70s, I was only about 50 at the time and I was hurting from standing all morning (got a marsh chair a few years ago). They just took their time, no hurry, no deadlines, no clock to punch the next day. It inspired me!

It's not that cold down here, usually, and I have 5mm neoprene waders for those "break the ice" days. Yesterday was in the high 50s and sprinkling off and on, perfect. :D The one thing that's bad down here on the warmer days, though, are the skeeters. I got to huffing and puffing walking in the mud, sat down, and sucked a skeeter into my throat. I hate that. But, ya know, I was born to it. I cannot give it up. I got in to it with friends in junior high when I was 14. I was one of the few kids with a small boat, so I was popular with the high school duck hunters.

I guess I'm insane. :D If I can get a all terrain amphibious wheel chair when I'm 90, I'll be out there, LOL! Deer hunting's for wimps. On my wimpy days, I go deer hunting, 200 yard walk out the back door, sit in my box blind with my heater, lay back in my high back office chair and snooze until the feeder spins and tells me it's time to perk up. :D Duck hunting requires WORK, but the rewards can be a great shoot. Don't get as cold when you're WORKING at it. Just sitting in that office chair, if I didn't have the heater, I could freeze.

Besides, my hunting buddy is Molly, the mighty Labrador. She likes riding in boats, swimming in ice water, and all that stuff. If I'm insane, that dog needs to be institutionalized. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts