Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any first hand experience with dry firing causing damage to a gun? In 57 yrs of shooting I've done it constantly and never any damage and don't know anyone who has.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Had an cimmaron SA revolver with a firing pin on the hammer that worked itself loose over time from practicing my thumb technique. It never actually came off, just loose.

·
Registered
24,595 Posts
never had an issue with a center fire gun but I don't do it with a rimfire gun.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Some Rimfires will have problems with a lot of dry firing unless you use snap caps

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
I have never dry fired any reinforce because I have seen the damage to he firing pin and chamber mouth that can result.

I have seen a Ruger Blackhawk who's transfer bar broke before more Han a couple of boxes of ammo were fired but was heavily dry fired. It sign t not have been the cause but it no doubt accelerated it.

CZ advises not to in the 75 models due to the roll pin that acts as a firing pin limiter. They go far enough to include snap caps with their pistols so I tend to think they are serious.

I figure snap caps are cheap insurance anyway.

Reactions: daytonaredeye

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have never dry fired any reinforce because I have seen the damage to he firing pin and chamber mouth that can resul
I have seen a Ruger Blackhawk who's transfer bar broke before more Han a couple of boxes of ammo were fired but was heavily dry fired. It sign t not have been the cause but it no doubt accelerated it.

CZ advises not to in the 75 models due to the roll pin that acts as a firing pin limiter. They go far enough to include snap caps with their pistols so I tend to think they are serious.

I figure snap caps are cheap insurance anyway.
The manual on my Super Redhawk says it will NOT hurt the gun, my Taurus 605 says it will.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
The manual on my Super Redhawk says it will NOT hurt the gun, my Taurus 605 says it will.

If the factory says it will, why would you doubt it ?

·
22,290 Posts
My 1948 Detective Special's firing pin broke while dry firing. Yes, I was using snap caps. Yes, I got it fixed. Yes, I am still a huge proponent of dry fire practice.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
I'm pretty sure dry firing my buddy's 40+ year old Rossi 38 that had the firing pin on the hammer broke it. Still trying to locate a replacement.

·
Registered
7,689 Posts
Like others here, I've seen first-hand .22 firing pins and chamber rims peened. Haven't seen it on any centerfires but again, as others have said, I don't dry-fire my cfs without snapcaps.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I got a old Ruger Single Six Convertable in a trade that would not fire because of the damage to the firing pin from dry firing. Never seen a problem like that in a center fire though....

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I used to dry fire my Rossi 971 a lot before I ever fired it the first time. When I finally got it to the range, the firing pin broke within 20 rounds. I don't know if there was a connection between the two. I had fast repair and return from the manufacturer and I never had any more problems but I never dry fired it after that.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I'm pretty sure dry firing my buddy's 40+ year old Rossi 38 that had the firing pin on the hammer broke it. Still trying to locate a replacement.
A Smith & Wesson may fit. I was told those early Rossi pins were a little soft

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If the factory says it will, why would you doubt it ?
I don't blindly believe anything I read, a guy bought a .357 and the manual stated not to fire 38+P in it, he swore the +P were more powerful than mags untill mhe realised that they had put a .38spl booklet in with his .357 at the factory

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
What about "wet" firing? I fired my 357 underwater in the lake once just to see what it would do. It fired like normal and still had some recoil 😊

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I have dry fired my Security Six a lot, probably thousands of times, in order to become a better DA shooter. My Tracker however, I never dry fired it more than a couple times because I do not trust the metallurgy. My bolt action hunting rifles also get dry fired a lot to practice trigger control.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts