Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am really new to guns. I have heard a lot of conflicting opinions about whether it is safe to dry fire a handgun. My understanding is that, especially for a rimfire, it is not advisable to dry fire. I ordered a TX22 yesterday and I am wondering if there is any definitive word from Taurus on whether or not it is safe to dry fire the gun.

I've heard about people using drywall anchors as snap caps. Has anyone done that and how does it work? Don't you get plastic shards in the gun?

Thanks

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
I don't own a TX22 but certainly that info should be included in the manual when you get the weapon, or try to get a hold of a taurus cust rep and ask them if you need that info before you receive the weapon.
there are a few 22 LR (rimfires) that is safe to dry fire them, others will peen the side of the chamber if you do it enough and usually a warning will be included in their manuals.
as to drywall anchors--- really buy you some snap cap they aren't that expensive or use a spend 22 case.
I would mention here that I would be more concerned about the issue thats been reported here concerning bad Barrels (chattering and bad crowns) and the cracking/breakage of the slide at the front barrel port from being to thin.
you might want to browse this section and read a bit, inspect the weapon throughly before accepting it from the FFL would be my advice.
welcome to the Forum and enjoy your new weapon.

Reactions: MadKaw

·
Registered
27,129 Posts
And if you're really in a hurry to find out, you can download the manual from Taurus.

https://www.taurususa.com/wp-content/uploads/manuals/Taurus_Manual_Tx22.pdf

EDIT: Note that being told to pull the trigger during disassembly does NOT mean it is safe to dry-fire. Before pulling the trigger, you drop the disassembly lever. I am not familiar with the engineering of the pistol, but that could operate as a firing pin block.

·
Registered
17,052 Posts
All I can say is that my dad was a pretty good gunsmith and he taught me from about age 5 to not dry fire .22 guns. Of course that was in the early 1950's and things may have changed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts