Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a PT145 Pro, 3rd Gen that I have dry fired on several occasions without the benefit of snap caps. I recently found out that Taurus says dry firing is bad for the weapon. I think this should have stood out more in the manual as it is common for people to dry fire. Being an owner of GLOCKS and SIGs, I ass-u-med that the Taurus would be on the same quality level. Even after all the dry firing, it has performed flawlessly. I have since ordered some snap caps, however. Is this a real issue of potential harm to the weapn or just a general statement Taurus puts in the manual? It would seem to me that the PT145 Pro is durable enough to dry fire.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Don't know. Seems that a lot of their manuals say that (Don't dry fire) maybe it is a CYA move. Looking at the parts diagrams they don't seem any better or worse than any other modern center fire pistol.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What I've heard from the friendly neighbour gun dealer is that when you dry fire the firing pin goes forward and does not have a primer or a snap cap to stop on. So it stops against whatever is in the way. This causes more than usual wear n' tear. It shouldnt harm the gun but your firing pin's life (and/or springs and what not) will be somewhat reduced.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I noticed this too and the problem is so many defensive gun trainers say to dry-fire quite a lot as way to practice firing, control and avoid the dreaded flinch.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Rabid_Dog said:
I noticed this too and the problem is so many defensive gun trainers say to dry-fire quite a lot as way to practice firing, control and avoid the dreaded flinch.
That is what snap caps are for. Even if the gun manual says that dry-firing is ok. I feel it doesn't hurt to use them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
on this subject, i rarely use this option but if you notice you have to pull the trigger to set the key lock system on the side of the gun.... now why would they do that if dry firing is bad for the firing pin?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't think the once in a while dry fire with out a snap cap will hurt anything.
But doing dry fire drills of 40 to 50 trigger pulls might cause a problem long term.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Any time your "use" something it's bad for the gun. So for the sake of argument, just breathing is "bad" for your lungs. That being said, it's a $350 gun...does it really matter? You're not clicking away at your Ed Brown or anything.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Drewbacca said:
Any time your "use" something it's bad for the gun. So for the sake of argument, just breathing is "bad" for your lungs. That being said, it's a $350 gun...does it really matter? You're not clicking away at your Ed Brown or anything.
I actually got a much better deal than $350. ;D As someone who depends on the reliability of a weapon everyday, it does matter. I don't think anyone would want to put more wear and tear on something that wasn't necessary, especially if it is a tool that may be called upon to save your life. There is a difference between breathing and smoking.

·
Registered
135 Posts
What I am trying to say is that it's still "debatable" whether or not dry firing a pistol with an internal firing pin is really that bad for it or not. Naturally a pistol with a striker and a firing pin is going to damage more easily from dry firing because there is hard contact being made.

Either way...get some snap caps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Drewbacca said:

Well, I am a police officer with 13 years service. I really like my PT145, I carry it off duty. It has never let me down. I have 5 kids and a wife to support so I had to buy a gun for off duty that was dependable and affordable. The PT145 has been both. I have had mine for 2 years and shoot it every month. It has never jammed or misfired. But I buy good ammo and clean it after every shoot. However, that being said, your quote, "it's a $350 gun...does it really matter?" proves that you are to young to be talking about this or to stupid. Perhaps both.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I hear a lot of people on both sides of the fence so I dont know if it will or will not hurt anything. All I can tell you is this...I have not once heard anyone say "had to send my gun back cause I dry fired it to many times and something messed up" I have never heard a gun Smith say he had to fix anything that was directly related to someone dry firing there weapon. Its about like poeple saying that smoking weed causes car crashes, but in all my 29 years I have not heard one news cast where the reporter says "the driver who caused the crash was smoking weed" so judge for yourself if you think dry firing will hurt anything ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Drewbacca said:
What I am trying to say is that it's still "debatable" whether or not dry firing a pistol with an internal firing pin is really that bad for it or not.

Either way...get some snap caps.
What pistol DOESN'T have an internal firing pin? They don't work so well with the firing pin outside. :)

Joking aside, depending on the design, what happens when you dry fire is that the firing pin hits the shoulder in the inside of the firing pin hole. This can (again depending on the design of the pistol) over time cause the hold to deform or cause the firing pin to break. It is less of a problem with modern firearms than with the older ones, but the way I see it. Snap caps are cheap. Use 'em. Especially if the pistol you are dry firing is to be used for Self Defense. That's my .02.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have always felt that a small amt. of dry firing was acceptable on my guns, i could see where too much would accelerate wear on certain parts...one might assume that dry firing MAY increase the likelihood of a negligent discharge, by encouraging a slightly more haphazard way of treating the firearm....

·
Registered
9 Posts
EDWARD96 said:
Well, I am a police officer with 13 years service. I really like my PT145, I carry it off duty. It has never let me down. I have 5 kids and a wife to support so I had to buy a gun for off duty that was dependable and affordable. The PT145 has been both. I have had mine for 2 years and shoot it every month. It has never jammed or misfired. But I buy good ammo and clean it after every shoot. However, that being said, your quote, "it's a $350 gun...does it really matter?" proves that you are to young to be talking about this or to stupid. Perhaps both.
Doesn't play well with others

1 - 15 of 15 Posts