Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
i do it all the time with no problem.........some say its not good, but i do not see how it can do harm as its very difficult to break a firing pin as tough as the one on the Mill.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
There seems to be no full agreement on whether to dry fire or not.

Some say it is NO problem, Others say you must use snap caps, bought or home made.

I could see where if you did a LOT of it where there could be a problem. I know I have been doing it to determine if I am jerking the trigger, or pushing the gun to the left. Using digital video camera, and reviewing after the session.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I dry fire a few times a week, at about 10 or 15 pulls each. So far no problems. Someone told me if I don't want to buy snap caps to just use an empty casing.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
PhillyShooter said:
I dry fire a few times a week, at about 10 or 15 pulls each. So far no problems. Someone told me if I don't want to buy snap caps to just use an empty casing.
I know we all know about empty casings, but geeze, paint the end, or something so an error cannot occur. Empty guns can be very scary!

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Yeah, I downloaded all the manuals that were online, and read what came with my two purchases. But it still seems to be up in the air, as many have not had problems and it loosens up the trigger pull, and helps you get used to the difference's. I know all 3 of mine, have a different pull but after close to 400 rounds and some dry fire, I think I am close to mastering the pull on the PT111.

NOW if the rain will just stop long enough to find out!!

·
Administrator
39,897 Posts
I don't dry fire anything. But that's just me. Some friends think I'm odd because I won't allow them to dry fire any of my guns. To loosen up the trigger pull, I shot the heck out of 'em. :shooter:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I have heard some say dry firing although may not be so bad for the firearm may lead to bad habits and possibly lead to negligent (ND) or accidental discharge (AD). From my conversations with friends and LEO's this is how the majority of ND's & AD's happen. "I thought it was empty (or someone told me it was empty) and I pulled the trigger!"

The thought is to create a very rigid set of circumstances (or drill) when you do your dry firing. Always dry fire in the same place, run through the same needed steps to insure the firearm is empty, repeat, repeat again. Still treat the firearm as if it's loaded, only dry fire in a safe direction (where are you aiming? what's behind that wall?).

When finished and ready to load, load firearm and leave dry fire drill area. This strict drill may prevent the user from sitting on edge of bed and on a whim (and with reasonable certainty that the firearm is empty) pull the trigger a couple of times while say... on the phone, watching t.v., etc and blam, oops I took out the mag but forgot to cycle afterwards. Believe me it can happen to the most proficient user of firearms. Never let your guard down and never treat pulling the trigger casually.

Can it harm the firing pin? Well the manual I have states that the trigger must be pulled on an empty chamber to set the Taurus built-in lock. Hmmmm.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
A gunsmith I talked to said you can dry fire any gun Except a Taurus. He explained why, but it was confusing to me. I just believe him. I still recommend snap caps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts