Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to dry fire just to field strip my pt111. I have heard many say that dry firing is bad. What are your thoughts opinions?
Thanks,
Seth

·
Registered
35 Posts
I found it a little strange to dry fire while stripping, but I guess it's a function of the striker mechanism. Anyway, it's probably safe, but I would ONLY do it when stripping. I've heard and read about some guns that supposedly are ok to dry fire with an empty chamber, but after breaking 3 firing pins on 2 guns, (except while stripping) I always use a snap-cap when I dry fire for practice.

·
Registered
878 Posts
On my second generation, I find it necessary to pull the trigger before removing the slide. When I dry fire I use a snap cap.

·
Registered
54 Posts
ttbk said:
I found it a little strange to dry fire while stripping, but I guess it's a function of the striker mechanism. Anyway, it's probably safe, but I would ONLY do it when stripping. I've heard and read about some guns that supposedly are ok to dry fire with an empty chamber, but after breaking 3 firing pins on 2 guns, (except while stripping) I always use a snap-cap when I dry fire for practice.
I have dry fired all my weapons, but since I ended up braking a pin in my Raven doing this, I have stopped-- snap caps only for me-- well worth the savings on wear and tear--

I have since stopped dry firing all my rimfires-- inless I put an empty casing in the weapon also.

·
Registered
438 Posts
the manual does not say anything about using a snap cap or similar itmes when stripping th gun, thus dry firing cant be to detrimental to the gun in my opinion ive stripped my pt111 over 50 times and i have not had any problems, you also have to dry fire to use the taurus safety lock

·
Registered
438 Posts
i will agree with jlentz dont unless stripping or locking the gun and if you have snap caps anyways might as well use them.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
No snap to the cap, just a dummy round with a brass end for the firing pin to simulate a real round.
Here are 9mm snap caps and live rounds side by side.

·
Registered
37 Posts
well...you need to 'dry fire' many many times to get used to the trigger pull. ;) so, get snap caps anyway. just pull the slide back about 1/2 inch and it's cocked in single action. if you want to practice the double action, just pull the trigger.

i have found in disassembly that you don't need to 'dry fire' the gun. after dropping the magazine make sure it's NOT LOADED, cycle the slide a few times to make sure it's NOT LOADED. when you take out the take-down pin pull the slide back one more time, pull the trigger, then move the slide foward with you hand, letting the spring do the work but without letting it 'rack' foward. the slide should move foward and off the frame just nicely, all the while the trigger had held the sear down do it hasn't engaged the firing pin.

·
Registered
44 Posts
FWIW, snap caps cost more than real ammo. I paid about $15 for a pack of 5, and that was after shopping around. (They were $18 at Bass Pro Shop) I use them mainly for practicing malfunction clearing during target practice (load one randomly into a mag or two--it's the only way you'll ever feel the double-action trigger (aside from a real dud round) on the DA/SA version).

As for dry firing when I disassemble or lock the pistol, I doubt that it would hurt the mechanism. Isn't the "no dry firing" rule a leftover from older, hammer-fired weapons?

·
Registered
149 Posts
In the Taurus Polymer Pistols manual that came with my 3d gen PT 145, page 5, it states "Dry firing is bad for this firearm, whether the hammer block is engaged or not."

For disassembly,on page 21, step 5, it states "Carefully release SLIDE CATCH, pull SLIDE forward off of frame while pulling the trigger back." This means NOT to pull the trigger first before beginning to remove the slide from the frame.

The ironic thing is, at IDPA and USPC matches you have to dry fire after clearing your weapon before the RO will let you leave the firing line and clear the range. :-\

For home practice, I've found that the 5 Snap Caps were well worth the price, considering how much they can help you and the number of times you can use them. :D

·
Super Moderator
22,009 Posts
center fire guns should not have a problem dry firing for cleaning .But for setting on the couch and dry fireing I'd use snape caps. Never dry fire a rim fire gun it not only damages the firing pin but does damage to the breach which will ruin your weapon.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've never had any centerfire problems except once in fifty years. A firing pin on my .25 Beretta. I can't remember too well but I knew better than to dry fire a rimfire, I am sure I cheated a little on my first rifle, a marlin single shot .22 with a ring pull cocking mechanism. Still have both guns.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts