Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a hasty trip through the manual and saw nothing about dry firing. So just now called Taurus Customer Service. The agent I got connected with didn't come across as being very knowledgable. :-\ In any case, she tells me that I shouldn't dry fire the weapon. I asked her about using "snap caps" in it. Her response -- "You can still do damage to the firearm, sir."

That's a bummer, for I looked forward to pulling the trigger lots of times as I get used to the new piece... :rolleyes:

Amistad
'bummed out in Texas'

·
Registered
878 Posts
Get yourself some A-Zoom snap caps and dry fire away. They will protect the firing pin.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Amistad, I have even used fired cases, but they will only cushion the firing pin about twice before they get worn out. Snap caps are the way to go. Frank

·
Registered
118 Posts
WTF is up with Taurus's customer service reps?!?!?!?

Get some Azoom snap caps. They will protect the firing pin as well as shooting a live cartridge will. The only issue with dry firing a Taurus revolver is that you'll be hard on the firing pin spring. The snap cap will help cushion the shot that the spring suffers, and will make it last longer.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have several Taurus Handguns and have Dry Fired each at least 2000 times. It has smoothed out the Triggers and has never caused a problem. 608, 627, 617, 605 is what I have now. 66, 905, Two 85s, and a 94, I had but sold or gave to family.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks for the replies. Just got back from Academy to get some A-Zoom snap caps, and I'm happily snappin' away. I'm still wondering why the Taurus rep told me that I could damage the gun by dry firing, even doing so with snap caps. Something tells me that she didn't have all her ducks in a row... :rolleyes:

Amistad

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A little goes a long way, I'm finding. The trigger on my new wheel gun was pretty good right out of the box, but after only a few hundred dry fires, it has REALLY become nice in both SA/DA. I can hardly wait to get this bad boy to the range and break it in! :D

Amistad
'pumped up, jacked up, and stoked in Texas!'

1 - 7 of 7 Posts