Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I my 851 looks very well built it feels well built and shoots like it. It is stainless steel but why does the manual specify not to dry fire the revo? I dont but would like to dry fire so to smooth the moving part and smooth out the double action pull.
What I do to aviod dry fire is to cock it and lower the hammer manually, but why cant I dry fire it??????????????

·
32,497 Posts
I am beginning to think that a call to Taurus Customer Service is in order for any Taurus revolver. Just took a look at the current PDF manual and a number of things need changing. Since +P usage is touted in the catalog and the manual says different something is out of whack. Manual info needs to be updated to stay with current advertising and real world usage. I see no reason why dry firing with snap caps or home made snap caps could be detrimental.With the much older designs revolvers could have peening of the pin or breakage if dry fired.This is true more so with with hammer mounted firing pins. Old frame mounted pins could have this happen also. Deformation of the metal face of the pin would happen under varied conditions. Sometimes the pin would come too far into the chamber without something to hit as in a primed casing. This could cause the pin to hit the chamber wall and cause the deformation. Still can is some instances with the modern designed revolvers. Snap caps are cheap and most will last through hundreds if not thousands of hits. I have snap caps for my model 66,65, and even model 94 in .22lrf. I use them for practice at home when a trip to the range is not feasible. Have had no problems, breakage, or undue duress to the revolver in 10 to 15 years. Several hundred repetitions or more should smooth the action out. Home made snap caps can be made by putting a dab of rubber cement in the primer hole of used empty cases and needs to be refreshed after a certain number of hits. I'd rather use commercial snap caps and make sure there is no live ammo around our out when dry firing. Even wadcutter ammo can be mistaken for empty used casings. A call to Taurus customer service and talking to the gunsmiths or their representatives would confirm or deny the snap cap use. I called a few years back and they said it was ok then to dry fire with snapcaps. Their take on that may have changed. So checking with the source at the company would be a good thing. Would make them aware at Taurus that maybe the manuals need updating as well if the answer is yes. I still snap away with caps and have had no real troubles.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts