Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to start doing the wall drill. Will it be harmful to my tcp 738 without snap caps? If so why? I have done a google search, some say it will not do harm, some say it will. So I thought I will ask fellow Taurus members.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,973 Posts
Why risk damage? Snap caps are cheap and there is no shortage of them yet.....

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
There's a chance to do damage. For the price of snap caps I wont take the chance. With my luck the firearm would fail when I needed it the most.
You beat me to it.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
Bad. Really bad. Use snap caps.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
Bought most of mine on Amazon due to qualifying for free shipping. Did buy some from Midway on sale, but their shipping charges broke me of sucking eggs.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Bought most of mine on Amazon due to qualifying for free shipping.
Same here, I got the A-Zoom 9mm ones from Amazon for a reasonable price with free shipping. The local Academy stores (2 in this area) have both been out of the 9mm for weeks.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Bad, very very bad!

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
If Taurus say don't do it I guess you probably shouldn't. I have been dry firing most of my guns without snap caps (except rimfires of course, and a CZ52) for a few decades now and never had any problems. You could take the firing pin out of a 1911 or AR and use them for a pin punch if necessary, I think snap caps are just another shooting accessory someone figured out they could make money on.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Aren't you supposed to dry fire to take down the gun?
Yes, but I think the difference there is once, once in a while for cleaning and maintenance vs 200 dry fires during and evening of trigger control practice.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Snap Caps are easy to make. Using decapped/resized brass I put Permatex in the primer pocket and allow to cure. In addition I drill a few small holes through the case and also seat a bullet for better feel and weight.

Fred

·
Registered
161 Posts
Saw a lot of "snap cap good" and "snap cap bad" but no "snap cap good because...". What is the reason , for or against? As for "dry firing" for take down, at least with the 709, you have to pull the trigger to release the slide.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yeah, I have the 709. Sorry, I should've clarified. I never liked dry firing because I heard it's bad, but when the manual says to dry fire for maintenance then for that particular gun, I guess dry firing can't be all 'that bad'. Maybe striker fire differs from other types of firing, but I agree it can't be good to repeatedly dry fire hundreds of times for practice without a snap cap, placing undue stress in areas not meant for it when the primer should be absorbing the firing pin impact.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Why risk damage? Snap caps are cheap and there is no shortage of them yet.....
Speak only for where you are gbusmech, 45 snapcaps are hard as heck to find here where I live.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Careful, A-Zoom makes both dummy rounds and snap caps. You can't dry fire on dummy rounds and I believe they are color coded blue. The snap caps are a reddish brown color. No need to ask why I know this. ;-)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.