Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious how much damage a dry fire does. And how does a dry fire obtain damage in the first place? What is happening to cause damage. Thanks.

·
Registered
878 Posts
My understanding is that in slide or frame mounted firing pins, constant dry firing can cause the pin to go past it's range of motion, elongate, and eventually break. I'm also to understand it varies from gun to gun, so snap caps are cheap insurance. A-Zooms are the best IMO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My understanding is that in slide or frame mounted firing pins, constant dry firing can cause the pin to go past it's range of motion, elongate, and eventually break.
Aren't firing pins hardened steel? That's much more likely to break than elongate, but I seriously doubt that dry-firing a 24/7 Pro would hurt anything.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Some firing pins have a shoulder that limits their motion when dry fired. With no resistance the shoulder smacks against the frame and peens over extending the reach of the pin.
I defer to fudds 1st law of opposition: "If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
The following is not a quote but how I understood the manual when I read it.
Taurus recommends that dry firing be done with snap caps. Without the snap cap firing can damage parts of the firing pin and the part it slides in.

Hardened steel can break but it can also leave wear marks on it and the part that stops it from falling out. Snap caps keep this from happening.

I have an even worse problem with my Marlin 30-30. Two piece firing pin that can break very easily if dry fired.

I found this quote in the owners manual.

SAFETY FIRST: Dry firing is bad for this firearm, whether the hammer
block is engaged or not.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Steve24/7 said:
So it's bad for my gun every time I have to pull the trigger to disassemble it?
Well I think it this case, some guys might be dry firing a heck of a lot, hundreds of times working on an aiming, or trigger finger problem. As opposed to doing it once on disassembly after a range visit.

·
Administrator
35,507 Posts
I honestly don't see how dry-firing could be THAT bad for a 24/7 - part of the procedure for breaking the gun down is to pull the trigger after you have the pin removed.....if it was that bad, I wouldn't think that part of maintaining the gun (cleaning it) would require doing something harmful to the weapon........

·
Registered
80 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
I honestly don't see how dry-firing could be THAT bad for a 24/7 - part of the procedure for breaking the gun down is to pull the trigger after you have the pin removed.....if it was that bad, I wouldn't think that part of maintaining the gun (cleaning it) would require doing something harmful to the weapon........
I'm sure there's a law somewhere that states if two metals repeatedly come in contact with any force, the softer of the two is inevitably going to exhibit wear of some sort. It's like washing and drying your clothes. Once or twice, or even over the course of months will not be a problem, but sooner or later it's going to wear your clothes out. Maybe that's not a good analogy though.......... ;D

I think that it's not harmful to do occasionaly, but if you start dryfiring it daily to practice, sooner or later either something is going to recieve wear.

But I just come up with bad analogies and shoot the gun, so what the hell do I know? ;D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Jkwas said:
so snap caps are cheap insurance. A-Zooms are the best IMO.
So is it completely safe to repeatedly dry fire with snap caps? For how many rounds will snap caps last and still provide full protection?

Dale

·
Registered
878 Posts
So is it completely safe to repeatedly dry fire with snap caps? For how many rounds will snap caps last and still provide full protection?
For me, it depends on the gun. I had a set of "Traditions" plastic caps that were just fine until they met my S&W Model 10. After about 100 rounds or so it actually shattered! I went and got A-Zooms and I was starting to think they were indestructable. Then the 9mm cap met the P89 and I was actually peening the part of the cap that resembles the front of the cartridge. Then I punched in the primer plug! That was after about 300 rounds. My Taurus guns don't hit the primer as hard and I think the better quality caps will last a long time. Prudence suggests inspecting them however.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts