Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like so many other states Mississippi has dry counties and towns. I have been here for almost 3 years and have known that 2 of the adjoining counties to Forrest County are dry counties. What I didn't know was that unlike dry counties in Texas where alcohol sales are banned here it is illegal to possess it in dry counties even at home. I was talking to a Sheriff's Deputy from Lamar county that cuts Hattiesburg in half about it and he told me that even passing through on the interstate you can be arrested for having unopened containers. I consider this to be cruel and unusual punishment and un-American.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
You can't legislate morality!

What's the biggest (Social) difference between Catholics and Baptists? Catholics drink in front of the barn while Baptists drink behind it.:D BTW - I'm Catholic that was raised a Southern Methodist in Alabama.

·
Registered
24,601 Posts

What's the biggest (Social) difference between Catholics and Baptists? Catholics drink in front of the barn while Baptists drink behind it.:D BTW - I'm Catholic that was raised a Southern Methodist in Alabama.
What he said.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
I thank God that I don't work for one of the big whiskey makers, I wouldn't be able to comprehend making the stuff and not being able to drink it.

Reactions: Sekol and Texheim

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Did you happen to get a reference to the applicable law (s)?

·
Registered
21,111 Posts
Wow, that's ridiculous! "Good baptists drink out of town"

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using TapatalkI

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
So truckers delivering alcohol have to map around these counties?

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Wow, that's ridiculous! "Good baptists drink out of town"

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using TapatalkI
Oh they're getting better. They will at least say Hi to each other in the liquor stores now. :D

Reactions: Texheim

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
2cents.gif That sucks....

Beer 1.gif

Reactions: btleslie

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
I am pretty sure the Founders were OK with this. Given that 9 of the first 13 States had official State religions written into their Constitutions. They figured that if the majority of people in a State or County wanted it "dry" so be it, if you didn't like it, or didn't like the State's religion, you didn't have to live there. They were aware that the Pilgrims were of a common religion that left "the Continent" so they could practice their common religion as they saw fit and that included the tenants of that religion that applied to morality.

The Founders were far less about "Do your own thing" (as an individual) than the revisionists since the glory day of the 1960's )hippies) would have you believe. They valued a common community ethic as a means of developing strong communities, more than some would have us believe. That is why the "Powers reserved to the States and the people" clause is there. Most of the Constitution and BOR is to protect the people of the States from the Federal Government. Ironic that the people who fear the Federal Government are the ones who often cite the Federal Constitution and Federal powers to force their local Government to do as THEY wish it to. Those people benefit often from the post-Civil War amendments far more than they like to admit. They will try to find Federal Court decisions that let them have their way one week and then complain about "The Intrusive Federal Government" the next week.

·
Registered
29,765 Posts
Yup as has already been said, you can't (nor should you legislate) morality!

Good thing I am not in one of those counties... with the volume and variety we have it would probably be a capital crime! :D :D :D

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I am pretty sure the Founders were OK with this. Given that 9 of the first 13 States had official State religions written into their Constitutions. They figured that if the majority of people in a State or County wanted it "dry" so be it, if you didn't like it, or didn't like the State's religion, you didn't have to live there. They were aware that the Pilgrims were of a common religion that left "the Continent" so they could practice their common religion as they saw fit and that included the tenants of that religion that applied to morality.

The Founders were far less about "Do your own thing" (as an individual) than the revisionists since the glory day of the 1960's )hippies) would have you believe. They valued a common community ethic as a means of developing strong communities, more than some would have us believe. That is why the "Powers reserved to the States and the people" clause is there. Most of the Constitution and BOR is to protect the people of the States from the Federal Government. Ironic that the people who fear the Federal Government are the ones who often cite the Federal Constitution and Federal powers to force their local Government to do as THEY wish it to. Those people benefit often from the post-Civil War amendments far more than they like to admit. They will try to find Federal Court decisions that let them have their way one week and then complain about "The Intrusive Federal Government" the next week.
Thanks for enlightening us.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts

I always heard that, wherever you'd find four Episcopalians, you'd find a fifth.

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Wow - that's interesting. We can't buy mags of greater than `10 round capacity, but we can buy booze on Sundays....:confused:

Reactions: nedstockton

·
10,379 Posts
As a cheesehead, the idea of a "dry" county baffles me...did they add too much vermouth?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
True story

Back in the late 80's, I lived in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama. Tuscaloosa contains the University of Alabama and is a "wet" county. Just to the north of us is Fayette County, a dry county. Back then you couldn't legally possess any alcohol in a dry county. Now you can possess "personal" amounts without fear of prosecution. Fayette County law enforcement was particularly diligent in its enforcement of these laws, much to the public delight of the Baptist ministers in the area.

During a state tax audit, the investigators discovered the two largest beer retailers in the county were two small, rural convenience stores located within a few hundred yards of the Fayette county line. Again, this was in a county that had a major university at its center. Naturally, the Alcohol Beverage Control board was notified and the place was duly staked out. Turns out that the chief bootlegger was the local Sheriff.

The Tuscaloosa News - Google News Archive Search

Bonus, after he served a few years, he got a pardon and was elected county commissioner.

Judge says ex-con sheriff can keep job | GadsdenTimes.com

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo
1 - 18 of 18 Posts