Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the drop in oil prices at record lows for many years past, I was curious. What is going on in the Propane market? Have the prices dropped as steep as gas/diesel/heating oil or has it remained stable and high?

I figure it must have dropped since I no longer rely on propane to heat our house. That's just the way things tend to go.

Reactions: scoutfish

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I looked it up.
There is a big discrepancy between wholesale spot and residential price.
TX SPOT is $.56/gal.
Residential cost is $2.40/gal.

·
Registered
21,111 Posts
It's not good for natural gas. CFM prices directly affect our gas leases :(

Sent from an undisclosed underground location by fingerless monkeys using TapatalkI

Reactions: jonrjen

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
It is really hard to find the price of natural gas as spot price is in millions of BTU and residential is in hundreds or thousands of cubic feet, although some companies charge in BTU to confuse people.
I found Sept. natural gas price at $16.29 per thousand cubic feet for residential.

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/ng/hist/n3010us3m.htm

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
I switched to electric heat a few years ago when oil prices were high to save some money on
my Wintertime heating bills. Now, after averaging $ 300.00 per electric bill during the winter
months and with oil prices falling like a rock, I don't think it was such a good move after all.
I could always switch back but who knows, they may go back up again in the future.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I live in a Log House and heat with propane and wood. I also bought two EdenPure Heaters to help out. I usually get by with one tank of gas per winter but I may have to use more if the wood heat keeps affecting my allergies.

Reactions: Jake3501

·
Registered
31,903 Posts
I switched to electric heat a few years ago when oil prices were high to save some money on
my Wintertime heating bills. Now, after averaging $ 300.00 per electric bill during the winter
months and with oil prices falling like a rock, I don't think it was such a good move after all.
I could always switch back but who knows, they may go back up again in the future.
Go duel fuel, the system costs more, and perhaps you could adapt a propane forced air system to your electric system and just make manual switch overs when one is more efficient to use.

·
Registered
31,903 Posts
I know the small bottles like you usually use on the patio don't seem to have gone down. There is definitely a labor factor for refilling any propane tank, including delivery, and supposedly, that is all a natural gas company can charge for is delivery (pipelines) plus the spot price on Natural gas.

It makes sense that the larger the propane tank to be filled, the lower the cost of the propane per gallon.

·
Registered
31,903 Posts
As more coal fired electric plants go off line, natural gas or propane are more likely to be more inexpensive for many years to operate than electric heat. Even with more plants going to natural gas turbines, it will still be more economical to heat with gas delivered to the property. I would also be looking at passive solar heat if the property is laid out well for it.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
We keep our house at a comfortable 80 degrees. I heat with a Fisher wood stove and a corn stove. I have a 500 gallon propane tank as a back up in case of an emergency. I'm not sure what the price of propane is here...:)

·
10,379 Posts
Sitting at $1.78/lb for propane up here right now. I'm sure it'll shoot up soon cause my tank needs to be refilled very soon.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Propane

Reactions: 91 whiskey
1 - 14 of 14 Posts