Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm going to be moving this coming Thursday, from Louisiana to Indiana. I'll be driving from Louisiana through Mississippi, Tennessee, Missouri, Illinois, and into Indiana.

My question is this- should I lock the gun up in the back of the moving truck, or is it okay to have up front with me in a situation like this? I tried to contact my state police officer but got annoyed after about ten minutes of "press x" menus and two voicemail boxes.

Thanks!

·
Registered
36,772 Posts
aaron, it ll depends on what state that you are in and where you are traveling to!
here in Georgia all adjacent states except South Carolina accept Georgias carry permit.
and of course Georgia accepts every state that is adjacent to us except South carolina!
that will show them!
Here the superior court issues permits and they can answer your question very quickly, but again thats here in Georgia, each state has their own system it seems.
actually when you get your carry permit here you are given a pamphlet that tells you which states allow you to carry with a Georgia permit.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
1. Do you have a concealed firearm permit in your current State?

2. If so, and if you had the time, your best bet is to contact the Attorney General's office of each State you'll be driving through...you would ask them for documentation on official letterhead with an embossed seal stating their State's laws regarding the transportation and use of firearms.

3. If you do not have a CCW permit, you may still transport your gun(s) via the Federal guidelines outlined here:

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=59

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No I don't have a CCWL. Frighteningly, Louisiana doesn't even require you to register handguns. Thanks for the link, I'm about to read over it now, seems very very helpful!

·
Registered
515 Posts
When in Illinois, lock it up in the back of the truck (unloaded). You need an IL "FOID" card here just to have one.

Jim

·
Super Moderator
37,212 Posts
You are best advised to avoid our state if transporting a firearm as we do not honor the US Constitution here...hell, we barely recognize a lot of other laws either like those that have to do with free and fair elections and violations of the public trust with bribery and influence peddling. Do not visit or spend any money here and if you know of people planning conventions, there are much better and cheaper places to do so.

http://www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm

·
Super Moderator
20,006 Posts
aaron_c said:
No I don't have a CCWL. Frighteningly, Louisiana doesn't even require you to register handguns. Thanks for the link, I'm about to read over it now, seems very very helpful!
Did you mean to say "Fortunately, Louisiana doesn't require you to register handguns."? Georgia, where I live does not require gun registration and many other states follow suit likewise to the relief of many of us on this board. If this was not your intent, are you actually in favor of gun registration?

Just curious . . .

d

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
You might want to consider driving around King Daley's country.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
daytonaredeye said:
Did you mean to say "Fortunately, Louisiana doesn't require you to register handguns."? Georgia, where I live does not require gun registration and many other states follow suit likewise to the relief of many of us on this board. If this was not your intent, are you actually in favor of gun registration?

Just curious . . .

d
It does frighten me a bit that you aren't required to register a handgun here, yes. I'm all for freedom to own, conceal, carry, etc. but I don't like the idea that if someone shoots me and they trace it back to the exact gun they shot me with, it means nothing because nobody knows who owns it or who originally purchased it (that's if my understanding of it is correct).

The one bright side, on a political note, is that since my gun isn't registered here, the government won't know where to come looking for it if they place gun control laws on all the innocent civilians so that only criminals have handguns (again, I assume).

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
aaron_c said:
It does frighten me a bit that you aren't required to register a handgun here, yes. I'm all for freedom to own, conceal, carry, etc. but I don't like the idea that if someone shoots me and they trace it back to the exact gun they shot me with, it means nothing because nobody knows who owns it or who originally purchased it (that's if my understanding of it is correct).
Lets take that part of it. Guns are traceable, even with no registration. Manuf. ships to Dist. Dist ships to retailer. (all logged as required). You fill out a 4473 (unless you buy all your guns FTF), and the retailer keeps that 4473 on file. If you FTF, the owner who orginally bought it with a 4473, is contacted, and tells who he thinks he sold it too, and they come looking for that person.

aaron_c said:
The one bright side, on a political note, is that since my gun isn't registered here, the government won't know where to come looking for it if they place gun control laws on all the innocent civilians so that only criminals have handguns (again, I assume).
your gun is not registered, but there is a record?? It may be a long time to find you but they can find the owner.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I could be wrong but I thought I read that federally, you can carry a handgun in your car (console/glovebox etc) without a permit, and only need to be permitted if the gun is concealed on your person.

·
Administrator
40,251 Posts
This may or may not protect you while traveling through the Republik of Illinois.

Code of Federal Regulations
Title 18 - Part I - Chapter 44 - § 926a
§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
Release date: 2005-08-03
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any
political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from
transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any
lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any
other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm
if, during such transportation
the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily
accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle:
Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s
compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the
glove compartment or console.
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000926---A000-.html

·
Registered
177 Posts
aaron_c said:
Tennessee doesn't require handgun registration either (and we prefer it that way).

Since you don't have your CCP, my advice is to lock up your weapons in the rear of the truck or, at the very least, in a nondescript container in the front. That's a long haul and unless you have the bladder of a god you're going to have to take a pee break at some point. Rest areas and McD's parking lots are not secure and all it takes is about 30 seconds and a lug wrench to get into pretty much any vehicle. The best way to keep your guns safe is to keep them out of sight.

Also, if you're concerned about getting harassed by the police, then don't be. Unless you do something stupid like excessive speed or reckless driving then they'll have no reason to even glance your way. Drive safely and observe the posted speed limits and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
36,772 Posts
as mentioned the STATE regulates how a weapon can be carried/ transported, etc!
as far as i know this is in all states?
The Kuntry of Kalifornia may be different?
here in Georgia you can pretty much carry a legal firearm about anywhere that you want to in your automobile, private boat, plane, and home.
its considered an extension of your home.
now again this can be different by state.
But the real thing in my opinion is to have a concealed permit and that answers so many questions IF you are stopped by law.
Most law enforcement are interested in keeping weapons out of criminals hands and unless you are being an ass or just doing something stupid most won't hassle you if you produce a permit.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ill supreme court made a ruling either late last year or early this year, stating the center console and the glove box are "cases" as they do lock shut.

·
Super Moderator
21,700 Posts
I would not drive through IL. with a gun thats not locked up the State police have been given instructions to look for cars from southern states by there wonderful Governor. Because so many are gun friendly, Yes folks profiling anyone from southern states.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
COOT, many vehicle glove boxes and consoles do not have locks. I have three vehicles, and not one lock on any of them. But in KY, the glove box is legal, and the console is not, unless you have a CCDW license.

·
Administrator
40,251 Posts
coot said:
Ill supreme court made a ruling either late last year or early this year, stating the center console and the glove box are "cases" as they do lock shut.
And that would be a Ill. resident with a FOID card, right? To my knowledge, a non-resident can't get one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts