Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want/need to drill through the fuel fill door on my F350. I don't want to end up with any excess paint peal, paint flake or nasty results. What is the best way to assure this drilling out of a 5/8" hole turns out nice an clean.

My thought are to use blue painters tape on both the interior and exterior of the fuel door. Then to drill through the door from the backside with the use of a step drill.

Or would I be better to drill through with the use of a standard bit and then up size the bit size as needed?

Will the use of blue painters tape interfere with the step drill stepping up in size as the step drill more or less peals away than drills away as it enlarges a hole.

Should I attempt doing this with the fuel fill door mounted in place or remove the door before drilling the hole?

·
Registered
21,111 Posts
Yeah, I agree with MG, in theory as I've never done that. Use tape on both sides and drill from the outside.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
A punch and die from the outside is best.
Next is a step drill through tape from the outside is next best.
Standard twist drills are the worst at making a mess through sheet metal.
If possible remove the door because you need a good backup to minimum the tearout damage.

·
Registered
18,845 Posts
A hole saw will do better than step drilling. With step drilling, each time a bit goes through there's another chance of chipping and peeling. The hole saw is a one-shot deal and if done gently, shouldn't damage the surrounding paint at all.

Reactions: jonrjen and HD-Mike

·
22,322 Posts
I'd say take the door off. Tape and a hole saw sound like the best bet.

Reactions: jonrjen

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
A hole saw will do better than step drilling. With step drilling, each time a bit goes through there's another chance of chipping and peeling. The hole saw is a one-shot deal and if done gently, shouldn't damage the surrounding paint at all.
Yep, take door off, tape front and back, use hole saw gently from the front with the door laying on something solid like wood to back it up and drill into. That's the best plan of attack.

·
10,379 Posts
I use a special cutter. Drill a small pilot hole run the bolt that attached to the bushing through the hole, thread the cutting head on the other end of the bolt and then use a ratchet and socket to punch the hole. Comes out clean every time.

For the life of me I can't remember what the stupid thing is called though. Only run about $10 at a hardware store generally.

·
10,379 Posts
Figures, as soon as I post I remember what it's called.

A knockout punch.

·
Registered
13,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got it done. I used a step drill, drilling from the outside, I did use tape to protect the paint. A little nerve racking, but not all that bad.

I installed a keyed door lock on the fuel fill door of my F350. I have a locking fuel cap on the fill neck as well as a locking cap on the aux fuel tank in the bed. But, no one currently offers a locking cap for the DEF fill neck, so I wanted something to enable me to lock it also. Now, I know that this is not completely fool proof and that if someone really wanted to gain access to the fuel or DEF fill location they could pry the door open. But, if that were to happen at least I would notice the damage and be able to act in accordance in concerns of any fuel or DEF contamination.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Ummmm I hate to do this but a lot of those round keys like that rather easy to open with another round key. I've seen it done.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Ummmm I hate to do this but a lot of those round keys like that rather easy to open with another round key. I've seen it done.
Yeah, but when I'm in the dark parking lot and have to pee, I don't have time to fumble around for a key! I just move on to the one with no lock....

Uh..... same thing for those wanting to take liquid OUT of the tank. .

;)

·
Registered
13,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The other choice is an RV cam lock where there are only maybe at best 6 different keyed tumblers on the market. And like mentioned, it's more of a deterrent that absolute security fix. Maybe, just maybe it would be enough to make the lazy dirt bag who was set on screwing with a truck move on to the next truck. And if I come to the truck and notice that the door has been pried open then it sets off a big red flag to act appropriately. Fuel contamination on one of these trucks can quickly run up to $10,000 to repair any damage. DEF contamination can run into the $1,000s alone.

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
With all those locks and keys you are going to need something like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Outside to inside, tape the entry side to avoid chipping.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts