Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm treading carefully here as my PT1911 is my baby and I don't want to muck it up...

My rear sight was factory installed a little left of center (as viewed by the shooter), which cause me to shoot left of point of aim. I would like to drift it to center. I thought this would be easy. I planned to use the supplied allen wrench to unscrew the rear sight, tap it right, then screw it back in.

However, after removing the screw, I looked down the hole and it appears if I drift the sight, then the hole in the sight will not longer line up with the hole in the slide, which means I will not be able to put the screw back in!

So, was my screw hole drilled left of center? Am I stuck or am I missing something? Any ideas on how to drift my rear sight to center would be appreciated.

·
Registered
31 Posts
if that is the case, you may have to drift the front sight . on my PT1911 the front sight was off center and i had to drift it so that i would be shooting straight.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It would be my understanding that the screw in the rear sight raises the sight against the dovetail edges. There shouldn't be a hole in the top of the slide for that screw otherwise the rear sight would not be adjustable at all.

Des

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Be aware that there is a screw in the front sight also... and a hole to keep the screw in place. The rear how should have some drift capability... however the front does not. Adjust the rear sight as much as possible within the hole... it was enough in mine to work things out. If not, you may need to look at adjustable sights.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cimarron said:
Adjust the rear sight as much as possible within the hole...
To confirm, you are saying the hole in the slide is actually an "oval" with threading that fits a range of locations for the rear sight and screw...so I can drift the rear sight and (hopefully) the screw will still fit into the hole somewhere? If so, I'll give it a shot.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
DaBull said:
To confirm, you are saying the hole in the slide is actually an "oval" with threading that fits a range of locations for the rear sight and screw...so I can drift the rear sight and (hopefully) the screw will still fit into the hole somewhere? If so, I'll give it a shot.
Yes... take a look when you remove the rear sight. The first time of remove the rear, it will be tight but a tap with a wood or brass punch will move it out... be sure the screw is raised above. Actually there is a good bit of play available.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts