Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.hammerstrutsupport.com/

I ordered one of these things. Don't know if it'll work to ease the pain of reassembly, but it's worth a try for 15 bucks. Saw the ad in American Rifleman.

·
Registered
340 Posts

I ordered one of these things. Don't know if it'll work to ease the pain of reassembly, but it's worth a try for 15 bucks. Saw the ad in American Rifleman.
That is one of the critical last steps to ensure when you’re reassembling it. I will take the pistol and hold it barrel up to make sure the strut falls back. If it doesn’t, I use long tweezers to position it, or I use a thing punch to position the strut where it needs to be.

The last check I do is make sure there is there should be some resistance/tension as you’re locking the bolt. If there isn’t then I don’t lock it.

I have cleaned the Mark II so many times that I don’t have an issue. Maybe if I’ve never taken mine apart I’d get one of these gadgets. But I have cleaned my pistols hundreds of times already.

I have used the Tandemkross tool which does ease the use of DISASSEMBLY.

This link shows exactly how to reassemble the Mark II. But he doesn’t take the barrel off the receiver, which I do...using a rubber mallet to smack the barrel off.

https://www.tandemkross.com/Gunsmither-Pistol-Pal-for-MKI-MKII-MKIII-MKIV-and-2245_p_52.html

I also use the Tandemkross tool to line up the barrel when I reassemble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: 230JHP

·
Super Moderator
35,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Taking the thing apart is a total pain for me, so I usually just lock the bolt back and clean what I can with a bore snake and rags and Powder Blast. I take the bolt out when I have to and it usually takes me a while to get it back together. I'm hoping this tool will ease that problem a bit. I hold it upside down, this way and that, to keep from getting that hammer strut under that pin like in the video. I'm hoping this part will ease that problem.

I've never had the barrel off the thing, figure if I whack that take down pin hard enough, I'll probably knock zero off my red dot sight.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts

I did the same a while back for a MK1. It is a game changer and works great. I had to do a little filing to get it to fit since mine was one listed that it might not work on. The company was great to work with. I look forward to shooting and cleaning it now. Money well spent.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Taking the thing apart is a total pain for me, so I usually just lock the bolt back and clean what I can with a bore snake and rags and Powder Blast. I take the bolt out when I have to and it usually takes me a while to get it back together. I'm hoping this tool will ease that problem a bit. I hold it upside down, this way and that, to keep from getting that hammer strut under that pin like in the video. I'm hoping this part will ease that problem.

I've never had the barrel off the thing, figure if I whack that take down pin hard enough, I'll probably knock zero off my red dot sight.
If it is installed right, it will NOT knock off your zero.

I have a Ruger Mark IV Target with T&J Tactical Integral Suppressor, too, and I bought a mount for a RDS for it.

As my age increases, the need for a RDS increases.

Reactions: 57K and NativeTexan

·
Super Moderator
35,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did the same a while back for a MK1. It is a game changer and works great. I had to do a little filing to get it to fit since mine was one listed that it might not work on. The company was great to work with. I look forward to shooting and cleaning it now. Money well spent.
THANK YOU! Now, I'm getting excited for this thing to show up in my PO box. :laugh:

Reactions: TonyC2639

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Reactions: NativeTexan

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I learned the trick to putting them back together when I was a teenager. The MKII 6-7/8 Target is still my favorite out of all of them. My MKIII .22/45 LITE with the Volquartsen innards is great as well. I bought it before my suppressor was approved as a host pistol. I hated the trigger and magazine disconnect. About $100 worth of parts fixed it right up.

Maloy

·
Registered
164 Posts
Interestingly, there is no earthly reason for that cross pin to be right there on the frame. They could move it farther up or farther down, and eliminate that problem. They just do it the way they've always done it, which seems to be the Ruger way. I have the same issue with my Volquartsen Scorpion, I've just always been careful of where the dealy is before closing it up. Then I have a 22/45, which doesn't have the cross pin. I've heard an experienced gunsmith say he's just cut that pin out with no problems whatsoever, although I probably wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
We have two MKII's and a MKIII and a 22/45.
My wife's is like the one in post #5 but without the periscope on top.
The part won't work on the 22/45 but I really enjoy spending 3 or 4 hours
in the afternoon trying to assemble the pistols after a shoot.
It's relaxing.
After about 5 drinks.

Reactions: NativeTexan

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Here's the trick, don't follow the manual.

Hold the gun upside down and muzzle tipped towards the floor.

Pull the trigger to get the hammer into the fired position making sure the hammer strut is against the frame.

Insert the hammer spring housing and make sure the pin is all the way in. If it isn't all the way in, it will pull out as you swing the housing closed.

While still holding the gun upside down with muzzle tipped downward start to close the housing while tipping the muzzle upward. The hammer strut will fall into place.

Finish closing the housing and locking it in. At this point, the bolt should pull back fine. If you did it right, you'll feel the hammer spring compress just before closing.

As for barrel removing, it shouldn't be done too often. The hook isn't hardened and can be bent and loose it's fit. It is an easy fix for a competent gun smith, but should be avoided.

As for removal, I just use a light orange dead blow.

Installing the barrel, you can find the alignment by lightly rotating the barrel back and forth to find the best hookup before tapping it back in place.

Maloy

·
Registered
478 Posts
After shooting my buddies Mark-whatever I fell in love with the pistol. Been looking really hard at the Mark IV. Is it the dream come to life that I think it is?

·
Registered
340 Posts
After shooting my buddies Mark-whatever I fell in love with the pistol. Been looking really hard at the Mark IV. Is it the dream come to life that I think it is?
Absolutely. It is 3 times faster to clean it than a Mark II.

My friend who taught me how to break down my Ruger taught me how to remove the barrel. I haven’t had problems doing it. I gently tap it and it isn’t hard to put it back on.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I owned the Ruger MK III series. After taking it apart a few times, I got the hang of disassembly and reassembly. Even though I could do it, I found it to be a PITA. My solution was to trade it in for a MK IV. The MK IV disassembles with a single push of a release button and reassembles just as easy.

The only thing I will miss about the Ruger MK II and MK III is that the frustrating disassembly and reassembly process was an almost universally shared negative experience amongst firearms enthusiasts. I can't count the number of friendly conversations at the gun shop or range that started over that shared misery.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I owned the Ruger MK III series. After taking it apart a few times, I got the hang of disassembly and reassembly. Even though I could do it, I found it to be a PITA. My solution was to trade it in for a MK IV. The MK IV disassembles with a single push of a release button and reassembles just as easy.

The only thing I will miss about the Ruger MK II and MK III is that the frustrating disassembly and reassembly process was an almost universally shared negative experience amongst firearms enthusiasts. I can't count the number of friendly conversations at the gun shop or range that started over that shared misery.
I have a MK III and have no plans to get rid of it. When I bought it, I took mastering the disassembly and reassembly as a challenge. I leaned how to do it after a few attempts and it is no big deal to me. I don't plan on "upgrading" to a MK IV simply for the easier disassembly and reassembly. Being a cheapskate, I see no reason to spend money to save a minute or two when I clean my gun.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I like my MKIII and I hate cleaning it. Looking for a nice S&W 41....

·
Registered
969 Posts
I learned the trick to putting them back together when I was a teenager. The MKII 6-7/8 Target is still my favorite out of all of them. My MKIII .22/45 LITE with the Volquartsen innards is great as well. I bought it before my suppressor was approved as a host pistol. I hated the trigger and magazine disconnect. About $100 worth of parts fixed it right up.

Maloy
My fave as well!

I have no problem with the Mk IV and may add one eventually. If they brought back a 6 7/8" Target model it would be a slam dunk. I'd like to compare an alloy frame Mk IV. I didn't have enough problems dis and re-assembling to be much of an issue. Memory was the greater problem and sometimes I had to refer back to Ruger's instruction. I do think, however, alloy framed Marks were long overdue.;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts