Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've made a video showing how I would draw from concealment with my Taurus PT 809c. It's 7-8 draws, and I finally get a quick and fairly clean draw on the last one.

Don't worry, I've managed to edit the file so I'm not wasting your time showing you how I re-tuck my shirt, etc.

·
Registered
103 Posts
See, that's why I wouldn't bother tucking my shirt in, if I were you... You'd have to be VERY lucky to have a chance of getting that pistol out before you get knifed and/or shot.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Yeah. You might consider the white T tucked in against your back rather than over the weapon.
I do it that way, don't much care for the leather against my skin.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
I wonder, do you use that particular holster while you are driving?
Wouldn't that be somewhat uncomfortable? And like gwk1951 said,
what about leaving the T shirt tucked in under the holster?

Seems as though it would save a second or two. Just saying.
By the way, that's a neat video. How did you do it? Inquiring minds & all! :D

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
Congrats...you did it without an audience or a loud bang.

I hear the DEA is looking for folks who can draw from concealment without shooting themselves in the foot on video in front of a crowd. ;)

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
See, that's why I wouldn't bother tucking my shirt in, if I were you... You'd have to be VERY lucky to have a chance of getting that pistol out before you get knifed and/or shot.
I think it's probably got more to do with the SOB carry position than having the shirt tucked over it. He's doing all his drawing and untucking with his hands behind his back, which makes things more difficult, and also makes it take too long to draw. If the holster was moved to the side that would allow doing the untucking with your non-firing hand in front of you, which also puts your hand in a position to use it if you need to. My biggest problem with SOB is that it's very concealable if you're standing erect, but as soon as you bend over they print all over the place. Very uncomfortable when seated too.

·
Registered
8,052 Posts
Thanks for the video which was very well edited by the way! I agree with Branth, I believe I would
leave the T-shirt untucked. It did encumber your draw on several occassions. I liked the handle angle
you were using (10 - 11 o'clock I believe). I may have to switch up when I carry SOB, I've been
using an angle closer to the 9 o'clock position. You have a nice holster and rig by the way. What
kind is it? I do not carry SOB that much except for the Glock 26. I usually carry IWB or in the pocket.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Thanks for the video! Everytime a member posts something like this, it reminds us that we need to practice, practice, PRACTICE! :D

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Yeah. You might consider the white T tucked in against your back rather than over the weapon.
I do it that way, don't much care for the leather against my skin.
+11 on the T tucked under the holster. It's been a long time, but when I carried SOB, I used a left hand holster, which kept the grip at my right kidney, with palm facing out, bring right hand UP (and under cover garment) to grip. Of course, it all depends on your training, wardrobe and environment.

Thanks for sharing, and please accept the 'advice' in the friendly spirit in which it is given. :D More people should be as actively involved in their self-preservation. :thumb:

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been driving with the weapon in my back for years now. It wasn't the most comfortable thing at first, now I kind of miss it when I'm off to school and cannot carry. We can get used to anything (weird).

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the video which was very well edited by the way! I agree with Branth, I believe I would
leave the T-shirt untucked. It did encumber your draw on several occassions. I liked the handle angle
you were using (10 - 11 o'clock I believe). I may have to switch up when I carry SOB, I've been
using an angle closer to the 9 o'clock position. You have a nice holster and rig by the way. What
kind is it? I do not carry SOB that much except for the Glock 26. I usually carry IWB or in the pocket.
It's an Old Faithful. It seems to have worked out pretty well. I don't find driving to be much of a problem, frankly.

The price of concealment is a slow draw - we all know that, guys. Better than not having a gun on you or worse yet, having it spotted by the sheep when the wind blows up your shirt (happens all the time to me, I guess us girls have to stop walking over subway grates, LOL).

·
Registered
103 Posts
TRue, it's always a tradeoff. It's very concealed, but I'd rather occasionally flash someone (with my firearm!) than not be able to get to my gun in a timely manner. Then again, in my state OC is legal with a permit, so I'd be legally fine.

I wear my shirt tucked in with an OWB high on my 4 o'clock side, with some kind of loose cover garment over it, usually either a button-down work shirt or my hoodie. If I zip up the front of my sweatshirt up a bit, it's not gonna blow around at all, and the shirt is pretty good about that, too. I've been carrying like that for a couple of months, and I have yet to hear anyone shout "OMG, he has a GUN!" Then again, I'm still new to this. I'll likely need to get an IWB or switch to pocket carry as it warms up.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Nice video but I agree, untucking the shirt seems to make you sort of fumble for the weapon. I myself cannot get use to an IWB holster, it is just uncomfortable for me so I ordered some new shirts from 5.11 that are made longer than a normal shirt by just a little bit and I carry OWB. I have had no issues reaching for high up objects and keeping mine concealed.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Practice does help. I've tried going with a tucked shirt and I find it to be too much of a hindrance so I go either untucked or with a shirt with a elastic waist band.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Thanks for sharing! Reminded me of another reason why I OC... No digging into my pants to get my firearm (no criticism of CC included). I do have a Supertuck for my 945 but I rarely use it unless I have to, it's comfortable enough to wear all day, I just don't like the lack of access.

I ankle carry my TCP but that is solely because it needs to be completely invisible. Now that would be a funny video: me practicing my draw from that holster. I look dumb but I can deliver two shots in less than three seconds.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Thanks for sharing! ...
I ankle carry my TCP but that is solely because it needs to be completely invisible. Now that would be a funny video: me practicing my draw from that holster. I look dumb but I can deliver two shots in less than three seconds.
Since you'll probably be down on your back when you need the TCP, just use a 'pull cord' up your pant leg. :D

Reactions: dbeardslee

·
Registered
121 Posts
I wear a tee under my tuck holster and actually tuck my outer shirt when I tuck at all. I wear at 4 o'clock, so clearing the outer garment is pretty easy. Thanks for the video.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts