Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at buying an AR-15 in the future and have been looking hard at the DPMS line. Can anyone give me any insight on the quality and reliablity on these rifles? I have been doing some research on them and everything I have read has been all positive. Thanks for any and all input!!

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
That's my flavor, unless made of plastic they should be mil-spec.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
The ones I've handled have been very solid and dependable. I wouldn't hesitate picking one up if I were in the market for one.

·
Registered
24,845 Posts
Very well built and very reliable and not crazy prices. I have had one since 12-12 and the only issue was after market magazines and that is that there are some good mags and bad mags and no reflection on DPMS

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input. I am hoping to pick one up before the end of summer.:evil:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Solid AR for a civilian. They're considered a good mid-tier, mostly Mil-Spec AR much like RRA, Bushmaster, Stag, Windham, PSA, S&W, etc. They do have a entry-level price leader model that I'd pass on, but beyond that model they're good. Per reviews stay away from Hesse / Vulcan / Olympic brands.

Researching on most AR websites will get you info on any of these brands. FYI: don't go to m4carbine.com and ask for buyers advice on any entry-level/mid-tier brands. You'll probably get flamed for not initially buying a upper-tier brand/high-end custom build, as many members are military contractors (or wannabee posers).

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
The AR I bought last year was a DPMS kit from midway built on a Spikes lower. Works great. My buddy picked up a decked out DPMS a few months back. It has some magpul goodies and a rifle length handgaurd. We shot it the first time today and ran awesome.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
DPMS is good to go. Lot's of models and price points to choose from, though, so compare specs and know what you are looking at when shopping. (Not all barrels are chrome lined, limited choice of twist rates, mostly semi-auto bolt carriers, etc.) But, that said, there is nothing about even the basic models that can't be changed later if you like. (Well, so long as the upper and lower receivers aren't polymer!)

Oh, and don't let the fact that they some of their models are cheaper than some of the fan-boy-oriented boutique brands make you think they don't work. You'd probably be surprised by how many OEM parts DPMS provides to other manufacturers. ;)

Reactions: djw479

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
One can make fun of the upper tier ARs all day long. The point is that DPMS is a low tier, inexpensive, starter rifle.

Do not expect the quality (or resale value) of the DPMS compared to other companies (BCM, Larue, and others) to be equal.

On the other hand, regardless of what is posted on forums everywhere, for the "average" shooter DPMS makes a serviceable, affordable, dependable rifle that fills a need comfortably.

Despite claims to the contrary most shooters, including a lot on this forum shoot a lot less than they think they do. Read the posts and you will see posts that admit they may get to the range (if they are lucky) once a month. It might be the job, cost of ammo, weather, or honey do lists..... the point is many to most firearms get fired very little. Unless one is retired with a certain amount of disposable income or independently wealthy it just doesn't happy.

If you were a carbine class addict, an LEO in a position to shoot an AR every week and then actually use the gun in life or death situations, or anyone else that shoots 2 or 3 thousand + rounds a month, then I would advise buying an upper tier rifle. For all the rest of us (99%) the DPMS you are looking at will serve you well long into the future.

Good luck with your new gun and shoot safe!

Don

·
Registered
606 Posts
Oh, and don't let the fact that they some of their models are cheaper than some of the fan-boy-oriented boutique brands make you think they don't work. You'd probably be surprised by how many OEM parts DPMS provides to other manufacturers. ;)
You so right! Between DPMS, CMMG, Stag and a few other manufacturers I can't remember now, they provide tons of parts for many other brands. Heck if you want a left-handed AR, you probably getting a Stag upper receiver no matter whose brand name is shown. And doesn't Magpul make many of the self-branded adjustable stocks? Behind a given "brand-name", sub-contractor parts are everywhere.

But we digress..."We're sorry for interrupting your show, we now take you back to your local programming...err...DPMS feedback!?!" DPMS is GTG!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts