Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
It sounds like a good load for hunting deer/hog size game. May even be OK for small black bear but I'd rather have something larger. The LBT style bullet relies on penetration and cutting a wide wound channel for it's killing power. I use a 300 gn. LBT in my Ruger Vaquero in 45 Colt when I'm in bear or hog country and I won't be too far from a shotgun. I'm not sure about using it in the Taurus 65 and I imagine it won't be pleasant to shoot in a light weight revolver and would be tough on the gun. That's my opinion anyway, I'm sure someone will be along to disagree with me.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Wow, that's a heavy stout load. Personally a load like is for large frame revolvers like the S&W 27/28's, 686, Ruger GP100 and Blackhawks.

A good cast 158gr SWC or JSP at magnum speeds can do the job and not beat the gun loose. If in bear country I would step up to the .44's.

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
If it a sammi pressure rated cartridge then yes it should be safe to fire!
Now i don't know how much its going to shake and rattle the gun or the shooter but that wasn't your question was it?
A 180 is as heavy as I have ever gone in the 357 personally, of course a 41 /44 magnum is/was my carry in hog/bear/vicious rabbit country!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts