Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used Double Tap ammunition for thier PT-145. SAMMI presure is less than +P but out of 3 inch barrel 185gr is 1050fps and energy is 497ft lbs. Talking to Taurus they don't have a clue. Has anyone had experience with this Ammo. Thanks

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I don't know much about them, I recall that they aren't a member of SAAMI but that could have changed recently.

I'd just pick a premium load that was reliable and stick with it. If you want something hotter I'd go with Corbon or maybe Buffalo Bore.

Steelheart

·
Registered
111 Posts
I use DT in my 1911's 3/4 & 5" barrels they move out real good and of course they have the tried and proven Gold Dot bullet sitting on top, recoil is snappy but accuracy it excellent, I dont shoot a lot of them I put 1 box thru each piece to check reliability and use them for CC, I also use DPX and Ranger T's and just recently have begun testing Federal HST's which I am liking alot because of the awesome expansion and weight retention, but all my guns like these rounds and feed them without any problems and they all shoot to about the same point of aim give or take a inch so for self D it's not a problem there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
o
MPanova said:
I have been wanting to try it, anyone know the cheapest place to pick up a hundred rounds or so?
www.doubletapammo.com Order on line 36.00 delivered for Box of 50.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought three boxes of DT. 200gr, 185gr and 165gr. Wanted to test them and see what I felt best with for carry. I had real trouble with the 165gr because out of a box of 50, a good 10 or so would fail to fire. Seemed like my 745 wasn't striking them hard enough, or more likely, hard primers. Like I said, the other boxes ran through just fine. But as far as performance, all of them had really strong recoil and the 185 and 165 had really bright muzzel flashes. I won't use the 165's for carry because of reliability. The 200's were good, but I wanted something to lighten my gun up, so I settled on the 185gr. The performance numbers of this are really impressive to me.

·
32,570 Posts
Double Tap ,Winchester WinClean, leadless primer ammo,Europeon ammo. and some Asian ammo are all known to have hard primers or are tough for fit and function in the smaller self defense pistols.

Compact and sub-compact pistols are more finicky and fussy about ammunition diet. Engineering them to function with all types can be a very hard thing to accomplish.This problem seems to plague even some of the better designed pistols. The physics are hard to get just right. This has been documented by the gun writers and instructors.

Colt's Officer's Model, Para Ordanance sub compacts, and similar sized autos have a record for doing this whether DA or SA models. Granted some smalller semi-autos may feed more types better, but this endemic of the type.

So combine everything and one has a problem that can be solve by staying with what ammo they know works with this pistol already. Or they can experiment with other brands and types of ammo to get ones that fit and function properly.

Foot pounds of energy are not the most important factor in stopping an agressor. It helps to a certian extent. There are other variables as well.

Ammo fit and function 100% in the pistol are totally necessary for a defense gun. Good accuracy second.All other factors are in this ballpark area.

+P,+P+, or ammo that is in that ballpark performance wise is nice. There are documented sources that show that these have very good track records in real world stopping records. The difference between these and standard pressure loads stopping track records though , is not as great as one may led to believe.

So pick what you will to defend ones self and others, but realize that high velocity or standard velocity rounds can and do get the job done when called upon.

One last item I almost forgot. High impulse rounds were designed for Colt Commander length barrels and longer ones for the most part. Ammo makers took things in that direction. There may be exceptions to any of this. These are things that need to be considered.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Instead of Double Tap you may want to to try the Federal HST's which do look rather spectacular! They were shown in another thread on this forum. I'm currently using Federal 230 gr Hydra-Shok's in my 1911 45 ACP clone. You won't find the HST's listed in the regular Federal ballistics tables because they were intended for law enforcement only. Streicher's and a few other places have them online however and I think I'll pick up some in the +P version. My 1911 clone is plenty strong enough for +P. Here's a link to a place that has (or at least had) them a little cheaper than Streicher's ($22.95 for a box of 50):
http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/...ral-le-tactical-hst-230gr-p-hp-ammo-1393.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts