Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Double Shooting Happened At House With Warning Sign - Greenville News Story - WYFF Greenville

Double Shooting Happened At House With Warning Sign

RobSomeoneElse.jpg
(click to enlarge sign)

Homeowner, Robbery Suspect Die; Suspect’s Brother Charged

POSTED: 9:32 am EST February 2, 2012
UPDATED: 4:26 pm EST February 2, 2012
GREER, S.C. -- A warning sign on a front door didn’t prevent a robbery attempt that ended with two people dead.Douglas "Butch" Burgess Jr., 62, had a sign posted on the front door of his house on Pelham Street in Greer that said: “PLAY IT SAFE – ROB SOMEONE ELSE – WE HAVE GUNS AND WLL NOT HESITATE TO SHOOT YOU.”The Greek lettering on the sticker above the sign translates: "COME AND TAKE THEM.”
Douglas Burgess

Police said that 34-year-old Tamika Weatherspoon tried to rob Burgess on Monday. After Weatherspoon pulled a gun, Burgess and she ended up shooting each other, police said.Burgess died at the scene. Weatherspoon was wounded in the leg. She died in surgery after being airlifted to a hospital. (Full Story)On Wednesday, Weatherspoon’s brother, Michael Antoninius Weatherspoon, was arrested and charged with murder, attempted armed robbery and conspiracy, Lt. Jimmy Holcombe said.
Michael Antoninius Weatherspoon

The investigation revealed that Michael Weatherspoon drove his sister to the home and provided her with the weapon she used to commit the crime, Holcombe said.In the state of South Carolina, the "hand of one is the hand of all" when it comes to violent crime. So investigators said since because Michael Weatherspoon provided the gun and had knowledge of what his sister intended to do, he is culpable.Burgess' brother-in-law said the family is happy about the arrest, but they still want to find out why it all happened.The investigation is still ongoing. Funeral Arrangements Made The visitation for Burgess will be 7-9 p.m. on Friday at the Wood Mortuary in Greer. The funeral will be 11a.m. on Saturday at Pineview Baptist Church in Greer.
Previous Stories:

Read more: Double Shooting Happened At House With Warning Sign - Greenville News Story - WYFF Greenville

·
Super Moderator
21,441 Posts
To bad the guy died if you have a sign I'd be real prepared to back it up something like that is never a good idea. You don't want to broadcast it all over.

For Home invasions I agree crank up the wood chipper.

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
Not wild about posting signs like this on ones front door, but applaude defending one's home till the end.

If good people don't stand up to @$$ wipes like these they coninue to prey on the weak and helpless.

·
Administrator
39,386 Posts
Well, they should have stayed in school, and learned how to read! Bye Tamika! And hope you enjoy the gray bar hotel, Michael! And I do hope the good lord blesses the soul of Douglas Burgess, and his surviving family!

In Texas, that piece of dog squeeze, Michael, would be charged with capital murder.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I guess some folks just don't understand the concept of the element of surprise. I actually try not to let anyone know I've got firearms (okay, 'cept you guys :D), cause if I've got to use one I want it to come as one helluva big surprise. I only want to give them enough time for their eyes to open real wide - and then slowly close.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
What a shame!! I hate the poor guy had to die just to try to protect what was his, but man, to put a sign up just dareing someone is just crazy...someone will always answer a dare or a threat just to see if you mean what you say...to bad he didn't just blow the BG away...sorry I just can't stand thieves!!! worked to hard for what little I have to have it taken away by some lazy no account....

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
What a tragedy for the homeowner and his family.

For the two dirtbags who are responsible...I have no remorse for the puke who got herself killed nor her slug of a brother who let her do all the "dirty work".

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
It is a sad situation when you are not safe in your own home. I'm truly sorry about the homeowner but don't advertise that you may have firearms in your house, the gang bangers now know who to rob to get more guns to shoot more home owners to get more guns...................

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
I guess some folks just don't understand the concept of the element of surprise. I actually try not to let anyone know I've got firearms (okay, 'cept you guys :D), cause if I've got to use one I want it to come as one helluva big surprise. I only want to give them enough time for their eyes to open real wide - and then slowly close.
That's exactly right. I learned the hard way. Let them find out you have a gun when they hear that loud noise and get that terrible feeling in their gut.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
She had more hanging then he did the coward, to bad about the homeowner.

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
To bad the guy died if you have a sign I'd be real prepared to back it up something like that is never a good idea. You don't want to broadcast it all over.

For Home invasions I agree crank up the wood chipper.
I agree!! I have an alarm system for my house. The company wanted to put up signs. They said it would scare off criminals. I argued that it was free advertising for them. My house, I won. No warning. If someone breaks into my house and intends harm to me or mine, the first and last sound I want them to hear is the discharge of my 12g Stoeger Coach Gun. The primary reason I have an alarm system is to warn ME not them. Signs give away too much information.

·
Registered
612 Posts
in hindsight that's probably why he died.. The thief knowing there were guns in the home and the home owner being prepared to use them. Had the advantage. If she would of just thought it was an old man. She probably wouldn't of came in, gun at the ready. Perhaps shifting the element of surprise. I'm not an advocate of signs.. Altho I probably would of keep the "come and take them" one. Those who know would of found it amusing. Those who don't, still interesting.
My final thoughts? Glad he took her with him. To bad he didn't get the driver also.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Perhaps it is simply my imagination on this topic. I am no criminologist or crime analyst, but to my observation it would appear that owning firearms would make one a target for expert burglaries, not the other way around. A "Molon Laabe" or "Smith and Wesson" sticker means trouble for the small time perps, but such stickers equal "payday" to an expert crook looking for a place to burglarize.

Thus when such a burglary of a gun owner takes place the criminals enter guns drawn and loaded for a fight.

A wise conclusion to draw would be to tell no one about the status or location of your guns. Indeed, not even the anti-gun friend you took shooting last week. Word travels, and when your pal brags about shooting a PT92 to his friends, and the secondary friends of your friends start talking, sooner or later someone of the criminal profession will discover details about your gun collection youd rather they not know.

Another point-when inviting people over to see or shoot your guns, don't retrieve them from their storage places in their presence. Have the weapons already out or stashed somewhere different than where you normally do before you have guests over.

Reactions: aquajim

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Could'nt agree more if it's well known you have guns in your home some criminals will actually target it just because guns will be a good pay off when they sell them.

Reactions: CNCSC

·
Super Moderator
35,575 Posts
I very much agreed with ST...he invited them in with his advertisement of weapons and perhaps even the challenge. That is why her brother armed her before she broke in as he knew there would be a gun fight.

RIP Mr. Burgess. I wonder if he hesitated in his firing when he saw it was a woman?

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
"Come and take them" Apparently they could read Greek, so they accepted the challenge he issued.
The government schools around me barely teach English! :D

I agree with the others, I don't advertise the fact, but if they are dumb enough to try...

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Wow- the victim dies at the scene and the criminal is "air-lifted" to the hospital??? Doesn't make sense. I think I would have held the perp for questioning a little while before I let the paramedics in to administer first aid. Gotta play it safe you know.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts