Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone watch last night . The guy is out collecting road kill but believe guns will be useless. as they will eventually run out of ammo. He has several years of food so he will eventually run out of that too. He believes that the tomahawk and throwing sticks is the way to go. Can we say Neon sign All kinds of supply's here. Even though these people don't give names and locations someone will recognize these people and I will be surprised if a website does not show up with their exact location. Someone is going to talk eventually.

One guy was building a luxury condo in a old Nuke silo. Granted it would be hard to break in but all it takes is the right people at the right time. Seeing a spot on his list is a couple of million bucks I don't think he is going to have to many commando's occupying his retreat. Just saying.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I plan on trying to have enough supplies for about a month right now. As far as a doomsday scenario goes it just depends on the event as to whether I'd want to survive or not. If it's an event that causes years of nuclear winter Id rather just end it. If it were something where even a small rebuilding effort could start soon after I'd probably want to stick it out to see what happens.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Plan for the worse but hope for the best.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
I just need my Rambo knife. ;)
I have stored a few things for emergency, natural disasters,etc. I only have things for a month, I believe after that time there may be some normalcy. If it is longer than that well, I’ll get tothat bridge when it is time to cross.

Reactions: Flatbadge

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
With the world going the way it is no one really knows what will happen. In the 50's people were worried about Russia and " The Bomb". In my life time there has always been a possible world ending something. We are even having protesters again like in the 60's. Should it hit the fan at any given moment, depending on what "IT" is would determine if you bend over and kiss it good by or suck it up and run for cover. At my age it is more like sit back, wait, kill and eat what comes by. LOL

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
It is difficult to say what will ever happen. I prep but I think most preppers ive seen are kind of off the target. IMO the first rule to survival is making sure your fit enough to survive. That means staying in shape and maintaining your health. Its just a good rule for life, start with good health and everything else will fall into place. Unfortunatly ive let myself go a little so thats my tough spot to work on.
Next rule of survival is TRAINING. Train to survive, if you dont know how to do basics like find water food and shelter or defend yourself all the gadgets and stockpiled odds and ends will only take you so far. As for things running out... well it depends on what sort of disaster befalls us. Bullet supplies may run short... if you can learn to cast your own lead bullets it may help. Best bet is to estimate how many bullets you may need and then use your gun as a last resort. Dont do the foolish movie thing and go around shooting everything in sight like theres a never ending supply of ammo because there really isnt.
So learning how to make other tools and weapons is a good practice and learn how to use them. Ration your ammo the right way and it will be there when you need it. I think food "as we know it" will run out much faster than ammo but there should always be food available. You would be surprised by how little it takes to keep a person a live in a bad situation. Heck people have been known to survive off things like shoe leather, old belt leather, tree bark and even dirt. One last point about good practices, learn how to maintain your own guns if you can... not just cleaning but repairs as well. The more you know how to do the better prepared you will be.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I've watched this several times. The most interesting one was a husband and wife who involved the neighbors by helping them start in their own preparations, learn to shoot defensively, work together. They were also able to feed people and still meet their own needs. They received the highest marks of all.

Many of the others are largely loners, who will be targets unless they are way out in the boondocks off the beaten path. The biggest problem will for those living in big cities. They will have a very difficult time of it. Living in a small town or city and being involved in the community and your local church/civic groups/government puts you in a better position to survive. In Texas, the local magistrate can issue a call up of all able-bodied men and women for community defense completely independent of the State or Federal Governments. Blackcatbones has many outstanding points. Get in shape, train and work together and you will make it.

·
Super Moderator
37,033 Posts
The last episode that I watched had the germophobe woman who dressed up her family in gowns/caps/masks and booties in a contamination drill. The best part was the older gent who responded "I just want to watch the ball game" when she began pushing everybody into her little drill fantasy during a family holiday get together. You could just tell that her kids and everyone else believes she is wacky. Most all of the groups I've seen are caricatures of folks with extreme cases of OCD. Everyone of them has their own little scenario, when in reality it will be like the 9/11 attacks in that no one can appreciate how and when it will happen.

·
Registered
32,150 Posts
Generally, they go a little off the deep end, and enjoy the crafts they have learned or are learning. I am a little of a prepper as I keep about a 90 day supply of food, some antibiotics, toothpaste and toilet paper for 90 days and water for longer. My ammo larder is such that I would most likely be killed a long time before I could shoot it all defensively.

I still think some preparation is good without going completely nuts. Who stores canned food in a glass jar when they fear an earthquake that will jar things off the shelves?

·
Registered
32,150 Posts
I would like to have about $2,000 worth of solar panels and 5 storage batteries for running a microwave and possibly a through the wall or window heat pump to keep one room comfortable, as well as charging 18 volt battery tools and led lights..

We camped a whole lot, so we have a lot of supplemental gadgets and cooking alternatives.

Reactions: sandman 11

·
Super Moderator
21,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Although my health is not good years of backpacking the Rockies and Smokies. I have a extensive amount of knowledge and equipment to survive in the wild as well at home. I'm set for 30 days then I join up at the farm with a few friends. Who all have different knowledge skills. I would not want to visit the farm if your not invited!!!!!!

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'm pretty much ready for a couple of months at least. As far as running out of ammo, if it gets to that point all I'll have to do is save one bullet.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Every time I see this pop up, I think it says "Doomsday Peppers" I was thinking that maybe it was something like Homer Simpson's Guatemalan insanity peppers! :D

·
Registered
32,150 Posts
Every time I see this pop up, I think it says "Doomsday Peppers" I was thinking that maybe it was something like Homer Simpson's Guatemalan insanity peppers! :D
Eat the wrong pepper sometime like I did, and it is dooms day....twice! ;) Initially and up to eight hours later is the second dooms day!

Reactions: 91 whiskey

·
Super Moderator
37,033 Posts
They were using the Dr Pepper jingle on the last episode I saw...I wonder how the soft drink company is with that?

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Judging by the way they treated Dublin Dr. Pepper, not very good. Unless a lot of money was payed....

·
Registered
27,567 Posts
Several of you have hinted at the "correct" answer. Since we don't know which S is going to H which F, or how fast the F is going to be turning, we have no idea where the S is going to land, or how deep it will be.
When you make extreme levels of preparation the way the people on the show do you are preparing for one, or at best a limited range of scenarios.
If you guess right - great! But the odds are against you.

Basic preparedness, a bit of food, a bit of ammo, some waterproof matches... works for anything.
Past that, you just have to stay flexible.

One very wise man (or, if not wise, awfully canny - and a good shot) has nothing that won't fit into a backpack. He has reduced his inventory of guns to 4. And if SHTF - he's going mobile.

·
Registered
32,150 Posts
Depending on how big your particular SHTF situation gets, and where you are located....two things remain constant, you cannot hold even a fortified permanent position, and if you are mobile and have to engage, you want a 3:1 advantage over the enemy (nothing wrong with the word enemy....most everyone not with you is against you) in manpower and firepower to be successful. Anyone going mobile individually has to look at evasion as being their friend unless their name is John Rambo. I recruited him to my group a long time ago! :)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts