Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
29,861 Posts
I had relatives go off the deep end during the late "Y2K" scare. One bought a years supply of non-persiable foods, burried ten 55 gallon drums of gasoline, had a deep well drilled with a hand pump to have water available....yadda, yadda, yadda.

He looked at me one day and said, "Aren't you gonna prepare too?"

I relplied, "I have guns and ammo, I'll just TAKE your stuff".

All these things seem fine and dandy on the surface, but what if you're not "home" WTSHTF?

All you've done is make a "free store" of goodies for the neighbors to raid.

Even if you live on a remote farm or ranch, and are home, be prepared to "repell borders" when the starving hordes show up to shop.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Unfortunately we no longer have any TV access, no cable, satellite or aerial so I cannot watch this.

Let me know how it goes.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Dont have a lot saved up. I am sure these people would laugh at my SHTF provisions

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Unfortunately we no longer have any TV access, no cable, satellite or aerial so I cannot watch this.
If I had my way about it, I'd be in the same boat with ya'.

But...my wife has to have that high-dollar satellite t.v. access so she can watch The Apprentice, Survivor, The Biggest Loser, American Idol, Dancing With the Stars, and all that other junk that prevents me from watching anything decent on t.v. :mad:

·
Registered
8,152 Posts

But...my wife has to have that high-dollar satellite t.v. access so she can watch The Apprentice, Survivor, The Biggest Loser, American Idol, Dancing With the Stars, and all that other junk that prevents me from watching anything decent on t.v. :mad:
It really is not bad. I thought it would be tougher since I would usually have the TV running. Now I just pop in a DVD if I want to watch something.

Back to the subject,
I watched all of the clips on the website, I would be dead in a few days after a teotwawki disaster.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
there are advantages of living in the country and having a source of clean water, a place to grow stuff, plenty of wild game and the means to collect it. Oh yeah, and the means to protect my family and me. And neighbors who share the same attitudes.

·
Registered
7,656 Posts
I'll be watching the show tonight, but from the advance blurbs it appears the people on the show are somewhere out on the lunatic fringe. Then there's the issue of OpSec, which they all blew by agreeing to be filmed for the program. And guys who say "I'll just take yours" will be in for a rude awakening if they think they're going to appropriate my (strictly hypothetical) cache of nuts 'n' berries. All of which were (hypothetically) lost in a tragic boating accident, anyhow. Nothing to see here, folks. Move along.

Reactions: Lance0812

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Crap.
I'll have to wait 'til Midnight to watch the repeats.
No way I'm missing NCIS/NCISLA tonight.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
My sister-in-law told me she will just come over to our place.
I have a small amount of food in the place she knows about.
I have my main stash of food and rifles that my wife doesn't even know about.

·
10,379 Posts
Crap.
I'll have to wait 'til Midnight to watch the repeats.
No way I'm missing NCIS/NCISLA tonight.
Season premieres tonight? I sure hope so, there's been absolutely squat on TV the last few weeks.

Reactions: sandman 11

·
Super Moderator
21,450 Posts
Of course they are going to make them all look like idiots if they showed normal people getting ready to protect whats theirs that might not go over to good. Just saying.

I am only going to plan for so much. If a nuclear war broke out or a super volcano. Or if it resembles anything like the movie The Book of ELI or The Road I don't want any part of it.

·
Registered
34,137 Posts

TIVO is the solution. I record all the gun shows and stuff I like to watch and then watch them when my wife isn't watching cooking shows or sitcoms on the BBC.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
I have preparations that I have made. But as I have said in another post I feel that people need to be rational and prepare rationally. As far as the show what some of those people have done makes since, other's not so much. But many survivalist that I have met in real life or online yes have base knowledge, but I do not think are as prepared to use it and this plays out in the show. I also think many people put to much work into preparing for the wrong worst case threats, and/or operate under the assumptions that society will fall apart quickly, they will be real surprised when troops show up to take all that food, since things didn't go to hell that fast.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
I can't afford all the gear I've seen in the previews for that show, but...
I have a couple of guns, some ammo, and I've got a can of beans for bait...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts