Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
They'll even resort to citing hypocritical or otherwise completely irrelevant reasons for their dislike?

Stop me if you've heard this one before, but I have yet another pet peeve that I feel like venting about. Believe me, I try my hardest to avoid exposure to these sorts of people, but dagnabbit they're everywhere and they drive me up the wall with their persistent nonsense, and I've been suffering from insomnia lately, so I'm extremely irritable.

The simplest example I can think of is when folks who don't own a 10mm and carry a 9mm refer to .40 S&W as "Fourty Short and Wimpy" or the kind of folks who hate on certain rifle cartridges like .303 British because it's weaker than .30-06, yet constantly sing the praises of how powerful 7.62x39 is, and never actually talk about .30-06 on it's own merits, they merely use it as an excuse to dislike weaker cartridges that they never liked to begin with.

Personally, I try to refrain from senselessly disliking things, that way I don't need to look for phony reasons to justify my baseless bias in the event in which someone inevitably asks me to explain why I dislike a particular thing enough to pointlessly reply negatively to discussions in regards to said things.

EDIT: There seems to be some confusion here for which I am partially to blame, so allow me to clarify...

This thread isn't about Caliber Wars, I merely used such as an example because it's among the most common.

It can be about anything... Guns, knives, cars, electronics, brand names, you name it.

I honestly considered posting this thread on The Lounge and using a more broad example that wasn't firearms-related, but I'm really not a big fan of that particular subforum, so I decided to post it here instead, ergo I felt the need to use a firearms-related example.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Caliber wars are beyond silly. I refuse to get into those arguments.

I also refuse to get into an argument with a liberal, because if the liberals had a real brain, they would take it out and play with it. Their only response would be to call me a racist, and I don't have any desire to bruise my knuckles.

·
Premium Member
3,628 Posts
They'll even resort to citing hypocritical or otherwise completely irrelevant reasons for their dislike?

Stop me if you've heard this one before, but I have yet another pet peeve that I feel like venting about. Believe me, I try my hardest to avoid exposure to these sorts of people, but dagnabbit they're everywhere and they drive me up the wall with their persistent nonsense, and I've been suffering from insomnia lately, so I'm extremely irritable.

The simplest example I can think of is when folks who don't own a 10mm and carry a 9mm refer to .40 S&W as "Fourty Short and Wimpy" or the kind of folks who hate on certain rifle cartridges like .303 British because it's weaker than .30-06, yet constantly sing the praises of how powerful 7.62x39 is, and never actually talk about .30-06 on it's own merits, they merely use it as an excuse to dislike weaker cartridges that they never liked to begin with.

Personally, I try to refrain from senselessly disliking things, that way I don't need to look for phony reasons to justify my baseless bias in the event in which someone inevitably asks me to explain why I dislike a particular thing enough to pointlessly reply negatively to discussions in regards to said things.
Hmmm. Why don't those TA administrators add a "dislike" button to the bottom of each post? Whomever gets the most dislikes each month is banned from the board.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Hmmm. Why don't those TA administrators add a "dislike" button to the bottom of each post? Whomever gets the most dislikes each month is banned from the board.
Not sure I'm tracking here...are you saying that you disliked this post or that you would like to dislike any "caliber war" style posts?

To the topic at hand, I agree with Jake. The notion of caliber wars and "liking" one cartridge over another or "disliking" a cartridge/caliber is just plain silly. I do not own a 30.06 but do own a .303 Brit (and 7.62x54R), both of which are ballistically comparable to the 30.06. I will probably own a 30.06 at some point as well. I am an equal opportunity cartridge guy and will happily give them all a home as the opportunity presents itself :)

[EDIT] I also own 9mm, .40S&W, and 10mm. They all shoot well for me and each has its place in my holster...

·
Premium Member
3,628 Posts
Not sure I'm tracking here...are you saying that you disliked this post or that you would like to dislike any "caliber war" style posts?

To the topic at hand, I agree with Jake. The notion of caliber wars and "liking" one cartridge over another or "disliking" a cartridge/caliber is just plain silly. I do not own a 30.06 but do own a .303 Brit (and 7.62x54R), both of which are ballistically comparable to the 30.06. I will probably own a 30.06 at some point as well. I am an equal opportunity cartridge guy and will happily give them all a home as the opportunity presents itself :)

[EDIT] I also own 9mm, .40S&W, and 10mm. They all shoot well for me and each has its place in my holster...
Neither, actually. Just a suggestion of a "dislike" button similar to the "like" button. I was commenting on the issue of disliking things (and in my case, being able to voice that with one click).

·
Registered
16,857 Posts
Oh........you mean like when someone tells me I have a problem because I bought an expensive quality pistol?
No, I don't love it.
I suppose that could just be me though.

As for a 'dislike' button it is entirely unnecessary.
We have the very versatile and easy to use 'ignore' button.
I have enough folks on ignore to start a new forum.
I do not tolerate negative personal remarks and/or 'my gun is bigger than your gun' type of people very well.
I have installed a 20 foot diving board with an ignore button on the bottom of our pool.
KASPLOOOOOSHHHHHH!!!!!!!!...............'click'..........bye.......:p

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
'Shoot what you like and go on about your business' is my motto. I could give a rat's ass (no really... a rat's ass) about what others shoot for self defense. All that matters TO ME is what I shoot. And I still challenge anyone to get voluntarily shot with a, heck.. .22 short, for that matter. Some people just want to argue for the sake of argument. I refuse to engage them.

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
I don't see what all the drama is about.

Bottom Feeders are a just passing fad, just like smokeless powder.:p

That being said, there's nothing wrong with folks shooting a 9mm. After all, the young, old, infirm, women and those not willing to learn to shoot something better should be able to defend themselves.:p:p (Yeah, that's a joke).

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hopefully it's not already too late to salvage this thread, but since in my sleep-deprived state I seem to have worded this thread poorly and folks think it's all about caliber wars, I went ahead and updated the OP for the sake of clarification.

Normally I wouldn't even bother posting while so terribly exhausted, but alas this is a recurrent, stress-related issue which has occurred throughout my life and sadly probably won't be going away anytime soon, so I'd pretty much have to stop posting altogether until stress levels in my life go down, but given the sudden requests for a downvote feature which would result in someone being banned if someone were to get a certain amount of downvotes which has arisen as a result of this thread, perhaps that's precisely what I should do.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Tuco, I'm right there with you on caliber wars. I have my favorite calibers (.375 Magnum in pistol, .270 Winchester in rifle), but I also have various other calibers in both pistol and rifle, and am willing to listen to others present their views as long as it is fact based, not opinion.

One of my favorite discussions is the versatility of the .357 Magnum revolver and its cartridge. I can reload it with "cowboy action" lead bullets all the way to 180 grain "bear stoppers", and with various powders that can make the round anything from a cap gun pop to a flame throwing, ear cracking explosion. Yet many will argue that the .357 Magnum is a "dinosaur round", and many others (.357 Sig, .40 S&W, etc.) are "better" because of this, that, or some other thing. I usually end the conversation with "I think I have something I need to attend to now", and walk away.

And to get back to the OP, it isn't just caliber wars I have had these types of discussions over. Cars, pickups, people, and other subjects come to mind immediately.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
If you all came over to the church of CZ and Saint Tanfoglio your hearts would not be troubled.

Maloy--I was laughing so hard this post took twice as long to write. :icon_ devil: I know the people you are talking about.

·
Registered
14,594 Posts
Some people complain merely for the sake of complaining. Other's only want to see the world burn. If they want to badmouth something, that's on their lacking of social skills, not on ours for not listening or agreeing.

·
Supporting Moderator
5,349 Posts
I believe Tuco was using ammo caliber as an example, not as what he is venting about!.................
Tuco, try owning a whole bunch of Tauruses and being perfectly happy with them, shooting with other people and
them chiding me until they shoot them. Then watching the stupid look on their face form as they try to back step on
chiding me about owning Tauruses....................;)

Just have to learn when too blow idiot's off.....................

·
21,937 Posts
Lots of people hate to admit they may have been wrong. They'll go to absurd lengths to avoid it. Like people who decided that semis eliminate any reason to ever own an revolver, and will pretend .454 Casull doesn't exist to stick to their point. Or will laugh their butts off at "the 80s called, they want their foreign policy back" and then scream that the Russians are now the end of our nation.

One of the tricks of a happy life is coming up with effective, efficient ways to figure out who deserves to be ignored. Harsh but true.

·
17,571 Posts
Nope, they don't bother me. Daddy always told me never to attempt to match wits with a fool....you might succeed.

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts