Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
That it recently went out of production and is basically unobtainable in new condition for a fair price?

It happens to me all the time and it drives me crazy! I just discovered the Beretta 8040 Cougar, absolutely loved the way it looked, was basically sold on one, but then I learned that it went out of proportion a few years ago, and just to add insult to injury, I then found out that up until recently they were manufactured by Stoeger as a budget-priced alternative which sold for around $300.

I know that for those of you who frequent gun shows and are savvy when it comes to purchasing firearms online this probably isn't that big of a deal since you can still manage to find one at a relatively casual pace, but as someone who neither frequents gun shows nor shops for firearms only, it's a huge disappointment.

Oh, and I don't have the money for one right now anyway, so please don't tease me by linking me to a specific sale on the pistol, I'm just venting.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
That it recently went out of production and is basically unobtainable in new condition for a fair price?

It happens to me all the time and it drives me crazy! I just discovered the Beretta 8040 Cheetah, absolutely loved the way it looked, was basically sold on one, but then I learned that it went out of proportion a few years ago, and just to add insult to injury, I then found out that up until recently they were manufactured by Stoeger as a budget-priced alternative which sold for around $300.

I know that for those of you who frequent gun shows and are savvy when it comes to purchasing firearms online this probably isn't that big of a deal since you can still manage to find one at a relatively casual pace, but as someone who neither frequents gun shows nor shops for firearms only, it's a huge disappointment.

Oh, and I don't have the money for one right now anyway, so please don't tease me by linking me to a specific sale on the pistol, I'm just venting.
Lol. The story of my life man! :p

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Are you talking about the 8040 cougar? The Beretta cheetah was the 81 series gun and it was produced in 22, 32, and 380 caliber. The Cougar was a 40 caliber that was turned over to stoeger for production and distribution. It was available in 2 sizes of frame, large and compact.

I am going to look this up as I might be mistaken about it. If I am I apologize in advance…

Don

·
Super Moderator
17,703 Posts
Yeah, except with me I pass on them because I think the price is too high. Like a $1,000 for a 6" S&W 952 is just crazy. I passed on more than one, waiting for a better price. ooops. They discontinued it and it turns out they didn't really make many 6" ones. Now they are totally out of sight. You'd think $5,000 was a bargain now. *sigh*.

·
Super Moderator
17,703 Posts

·
Registered
36,291 Posts

It happens to me all the time and it drives me crazy! I just discovered the Beretta 8040 Cheetah, absolutely loved the way it looked, was basically sold on one, but then I learned that it went out of proportion a few years ago, and just to add insult to injury, I then found out that up until recently they were manufactured by Stoeger as a budget-priced alternative which sold for around $300.

I would NOT think of tempting you with a link myself!
well here is the one (you know what I am talking about) that I bought not to long after Beretta sold the rights and moved the staff and equipment to Turkey for Stoeger.
its been a very nice weapon, its heavy now but shoots really well.
Mines the 8000 which is the 9 MM.
hopefully these pictures will get you over the need to have one!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you talking about the 8040 cougar? The Beretta cheetah was the 81 series gun and it was produced in 22, 32, and 380 caliber. The Cougar was a 40 caliber that was turned over to stoeger for production and distribution. It was available in 2 sizes of frame, large and compact.

I am going to look this up as I might be mistaken about it. If I am I apologize in advance…

Don
Right you are, BangBang. It is indeed the Cougar, not the Cheetah, got my large predatoral felines mixed up there. :D

My issue is not being able to afford replacing guns I had and traded/sold many decades ago.
Colt Python.
S&W M29 (x2)
1st gen SAA .44-40
Etc.
I was young and very stupid.
Very.
Ouch, and to think I'm still kicking myself for passing on an opportunity to buy a pristine FEG PA-63 for $150 a few years back... Not to knock the PA-63 or anything, it's just about the best Walther PP clone out there and to their credit, FEG did a good enough job that for a period in the early 2000s Walther actually hired them to make a lower cost alternative to the PPK/S which was essentially just a rebranded SMC-380 they called the PPK/E.
The guns you listed are obviously more valuable though.

I myself missed out on getting a S&W 629-2 a couple years ago for $350, but I don't really feel too bad about it since I didn't have the money at the time. Wish I could have though.

Reactions: Doctordeere

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Some days you exhibit a wide evil streak! :devil:

Maloy

I would NOT think of tempting you with a link myself!
well here is the one (you know what I am talking about) that I bought not to long after Beretta sold the rights and moved the staff and equipment to Turkey for Stoeger.
its been a very nice weapon, its heavy now but shoots really well.
Mines the 8000 which is the 9 MM.
hopefully these pictures will get you over the need to have one!

·
Registered
36,291 Posts

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,799 Posts
Or better yet, a Taurus PT909:

Taurus PT909.jpg

Reactions: jonrjen

·
Registered
166 Posts
I though about getting one myself. They had a compact at PSA until very recently.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have you looked into the PX4 Storm? Basically the 8000. I have a FS and love how it shoots. Now looking for an affordable PX4 9 Compact!

·
Registered
36,291 Posts
Have you looked into the PX4 Storm? Basically the 8000. I have a FS and love how it shoots. Now looking for an affordable PX4 9 Compact!
ahh, sorta , kinda -nearly.
they do have the rotating barrel, but other than that the PX4 has a poly frame, changeable back straps so its a much. much lighter weapon.
I got a PX4SC that was bought as carry pistol and I did that for a while.
The SC is American made and has a tip barrel not the rotating barrel.
its a fat lil short thing and of course has those huge ambi slide mounted thumb safety.
its an UGLY lil Devil which makes me like it even more!
its been a very functional and accurate weapon for its size but the CZ P-01 won out as a carry weapon.

Attachments

·
22,292 Posts
Well maybe you can keep an eye out for a Taurus 911. I think it was their answer to the Stoeger Couger.

And it has the safety in a much better location, and it's a much handsomer pistol. IMHO.

·
Super Moderator
17,703 Posts
My issue is not being able to afford replacing guns I had and traded/sold many decades ago.
Colt Python.
S&W M29 (x2)
1st gen SAA .44-40
Etc.
I was young and very stupid.
Very.
I'm pretty sure I can out-stupid you. I too was young and very stupid. I just didn't have the time to devote to my hobby and they were all just sitting there taking up room and being a responsible father and husband I sold off all my reloading stuff and most of my guns. I kept just four. Two .22's and two .38's.

I sold off in the space of two months:

Colt Python .357 6" blue
Colt Python Target .38 spl 8" blue (an odd duck)
Colt 1909 Army .45 Colt re-blue (it was nickel when I bought it)
Dan Wesson .357 8" HB blue (no vent rib, just HB)
S&W Model 17 8 3/8" blue
S&W Model 14 8 3/8" blue
S&W Model 24-3 6 1/2" .44 Special
.44 Hand Ejector Fourth Model (1950 Military) 4" re-blued (might have been a factory re-blue, it looked great...a little too great)
S&W Model 25 1955 Target .45 ACP 6 1/2" blue
S&W Model 625 Model of 1988 .45 ACP 5" Stainless

Feel better? I'd like to have that Model 25 back. That was a great target gun. The rest? they're just guns. It looks bad here and now but at the time these were neither rare or uncommon. If I had those all today it would be a collection, then they were my shooters. The 8" Python and Dan Wesson were too heavy to shoot offhand. But both were super accurate off sandbags. Sub 1 1/2" groups at 25 yards with cast wadcutters were common. The K-frames were better but I've gotten the 8" barrels out of my system. They don't fit in range bags anyway and I'm not lugging a Pachmayr Range Box around like I did. Too heavy!

Never liked the 625. It had a k-frame grip and it felt too small for the gun. Never like the Model 24, the tapered barrel felt too light. I prefer heavy barrels. The .44 HE is a rare bird, and probably in the top two for the greatest service revolver ever made. The other would be the Model 58. But I'm a target shooter and prefer long barrels and adjustable sights. The 1909 Army was too big for me. I'm not a small person but I find those New Service sized frames too big for DA, my hand would cramp up from the long trigger reach.

About four years later I started back up again. Now 20 years later I still like my long-barreled revolvers. But I have less of them, what I had was more than I could shoot anyway. Plus I have an equal number of autos. But the only ones I sort of like are the 1911's....the suto for revolver guys....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts