Taurus Firearm Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,060 Posts
Most of my "range" time is done in shooting matches, USPSA and IDPA. Two weekends ago the USPSA match the "minimum" round count was estimated at 170, it took me 221 rounds to get it done. The "spinning plate rack" kills me! Although I am getting better at it.
Are these things televised?

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
I normally take 4 firearms or more in varying calibers to the range, since it's not a quick trip out there for me. Last trip for me i shot 40-12 GA Slugs, 80-7.62x39 with my new AK, 50-.45 ACP out of my 945 & 1911, and around 400-.22 LR's through my P-22 and Marlin. I try to keep my costs down while maximizing my shooting time across a number of platforms. Since i'm well past the 500 round number on everything but the AK, i'm not quite as worried about running a ton through every gun if it isn't cost effective.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My work hours make it difficult to get to the outdoor range before it closes. I hate the thought of paying hourly for indoor ranges. Plus they make you buy their overpriced ammo.
I do no more than about 200 rounds thru pistols. The reason being is that fatigue sets in and besides wasting ammo, I'm just reinforcing bad habits.

·
Registered
32,150 Posts
I rarely shoot more than 50 rounds of centerfire, as that is the maximum round count that I find I truly concentrate and derive any real improvement in or maintaining of my shooting ability. I usually shoot another 50 rounds of .22 just to round out my time at the range.

If I go with other people and we make a morning or afternoon of our outing, I may shoot 300 rounds, but with maybe 6 different guns, not all mine.

I have taken 4-6 guns to a range at a time, but really don't like to, that is a lot of cleaning, and no longer hardly ever take more than two to shoot.

I shoot when we go to my daughters place, as a grandson built a large berm and has put various target stands and gongs in front of the berm. It goes out to 150 yards and is free!

Reactions: bigC and Czechbikr

·
Super Moderator
37,012 Posts
I rarely shoot more than 50 rounds of centerfire, as that is the maximum round count that I find I truly concentrate and derive any real improvement in or maintaining of my shooting ability. I usually shoot another 50 rounds of .22 just to round out my time at the range.

If I go with other people and we make a morning or afternoon of our outing, I may shoot 300 rounds, but with maybe 6 different guns, not all mine.

I have taken 4-6 guns to a range at a time, but really don't like to, that is a lot of cleaning, and no longer hardly ever take more than two to shoot.

I shoot when we go to my daughters place, as a grandson built a large berm and has put various target stands and gongs in front of the berm. It goes out to 150 yards and is free!
I need to start going more often and shooting fewer guns. Around me it's mostly indoor ranges and when I go I tend to overpack. I'll bring a range bag with maybe 4 handguns and a rifle or two, Add in the ammo and it's probably 50 pounds of equipment and supplies. It actually is a deterrent to going. If I tossed two guns in a bag it might be 20-25 pounds and much more manageable. One of the reasons I really like visiting McMiller in WI where kmw1954 works is that I can load up the SUV and park right by the range. Swapping out between guns is maybe 40 steps.

Reactions: Jake3501

·
Registered
36,669 Posts
I need to start going more often and shooting fewer guns. Around me it's mostly indoor ranges and when I go I tend to overpack. I'll bring a range bag with maybe 4 handguns and a rifle or two, Add in the ammo and it's probably 50 pounds of equipment and supplies. It actually is a deterrent to going. If I tossed two guns in a bag it might be 20-25 pounds and much more manageable. One of the reasons I really like visiting McMiller in WI where kmw1954 works is that I can load up the SUV and park right by the range. Swapping out between guns is maybe 40 steps.
You really need to consider getting yourself a Gentlemans Gentleman--like Rodney that i have.
he is an excellent Gun Bearer , Chauffer and Cook.
He does talk kind of funny but not as bad as Someone from New York.

Reactions: rodfair

·
Registered
36,669 Posts
LOL does that guy hold the umbrella while you are at the firing line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
depends on the weather actually!
he has become fairly proficient at mag changes only using one hand however!

·
Registered
19,182 Posts
I plink a few with the pistols to stay current but most of my range time is spent with my milsurps. Therefore, they're not really rounds, they're pointys. Firin' off around 100 pointys is all my shoulder can take in one day anymore.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts