Taurus Firearm Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I don't shoot hundereds of rounds just to shoot myself. I will shoot a few mags for each gun just to make sure I can still hit straight. I do the same with my bow and only shoot 6-12 arrows and that's it. Quality not quantity is my personal choice. JMHO
I agree are rarely take two guns to the range unless I'm testing out a new gun. I get a 1/2 hour and rarely more time, which for me is 200 to 300 rounds max. When I do take two guns one is usually a rifle. With me it is more time cleaning the guns when I get home than the range time and I never leave a gun uncleaned when I get home for more than 1 hour. Lately for me is mostly one gun with several different loads with about 5 to 10 of each load marked so I know what I'm shooting and log it for accuracy, feeding etc.

Reactions: ozzy

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
I made a baaaaaaaaad mistake in making reactive steel targets. It's soooooooo much fun that the rounds just evaporate.

I'm still improving (so no snickering ! ) but here's a video of the horizontal one in action. Click it to play....

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
My normal "loadout" for the range every other month:

200 rounds per rifle(one AR, one AK)
100 rounds per pistol(.45 ACP, 9mm, .38 SPL)
300-500 .22LR

In between time, I keep a couple of loaded mags around in case a bud calls or I need to work off some steam. I do have a "rainy day stash", and it's all sealed.

I, too, run steel in my AR. Mine is chrome lined, just like my AK. I even ran 250 rounds of lacquer case through it as fast as I could change mags. Accuracy is close enough to brass for the range.

·
Super Moderator
27,060 Posts
I made a baaaaaaaaad mistake in making reactive steel targets. It's soooooooo much fun that the rounds just evaporate.

I'm still improving (so no snickering ! ) but here's a video of the horizontal one in action. Click it to play....

Want one!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I shoot for fun. I don't keep count or score. I hardly ever clean a gun. I live on the edge of a large national forest with lots of formal and informal ranges. It is simply simple and wonderful.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts

Paint them Blue!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Currently I only shoot 20 - 50 rounds when I go out, money it tight until the new year to get savings up...but when I start using my .22LR/Mag I'll shoot a lot more.

Reactions: GunsandNoses

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Depends on what im up to. I usually combine 2 or more focused activities per range trip. I test factory ammo for potential use and accuracy, I check sights On a number of guns. I shoot the monthly Taurus armed handgun shoootot - please jump in the fun!!! Now I'm refining hand loaded ammo preparing to transition to that in competition. I have some sight acquisition drills that I do with any gun that I take that day. Round counts can vary widely - number of rounds is low On my list of concerns - accomplishing the projects at hand are priority #1. 50 - hundreds of rounds can go down range depending on the structure of the day.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I see lots of folks saying shoot 500 or more rounds to break in a weapon. I see several say they been to the range a few times and now have 300 or less fired. Me when I go to the range I generally shoot 200 to 500 rounds. I just cant see how folks can go several times and only shoot a total of 300. Course thats just me I guess. Oh and my gun is broke in...
I have an old Savage M-30 12 gauge slug gun, I'm sure it has never fired more than a hundred rounds through it, probably a lot less. When shooting that bugger with 3" mag's and 1 oz slugs somewhere just after about the first shot you will say: that's sure got a stout recoil, it hits the paper and that's good enough for today....

Hunter 2.gif

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
My deer rifles 2 round's to confirm zero, my 1911's 2 mag's each, my AR all depends on what drill I am doing and my 22....till they are gone.

·
32,656 Posts
The main idea is to have a goal or set of goals on what to achieve while at the range. It's not about how many rounds sends down range as much as improving ones shooting or reaching a realistic proficiency. Don't plan for too many goals.

A lot of people shoot many rounds and achieve very little or nothing other than using up a lot of ammo. It's okay to shoot just to shoot. But with the economy being what it is and the state of the country one should try to sharpen all or as many aspects of their shooting as possible.

Plinking is frowned on by some as "not being serious" but it does allow one to have fun and improve. For example, when in Washington state many moons ago I had a place to plink from just a few feet out to about 200 yards shooting safely. I was able to have a grand time for several hours shooting clay pigeons with the shotguns, hitting empty soda cans at various ranges(including long range handgunning with a rimfire revolver), and shooting out to 200 yards with the Marlin 99C. Little ground squirrels were also about in over abundance and varmints to be shot on sight. Cleaning up after was paramount.

Point is that come the time to qualify on the M16 at the range I could hit out to 300 yards with the rifle and quickly. I rapid shot everything. As soon as the rifle came back down on target the shot was fired.
Range officers looked at me with skeptical looks. They would then take out the binoculars or spotting scope and look down range. In each and every target was a very small set of ragged holes in a group in the bullseyes. Many shots went through the same hole. It was witnessed. I would get done early at each stage while the others shot. Eyebrows went up,but the proof was in the pudding.

Hours upon hours of the use of the Marlin 99C were a part of the reason for doing well with the M16. It taught me what I need to know for use with a rifle.

Unfortunately where I am now has no plinking areas. Not close anyway. There are indoor ranges in this area, but no outdoor ones.:icon_ cry::rolleyes::)

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
The main idea is to have a goal or set of goals on what to achieve while at the range. It's not about how many rounds sends down range as much as improving ones shooting or reaching a realistic proficiency. Don't plan for too many goals.

A lot of people shoot many rounds and achieve very little or nothing other than using up a lot of ammo.

Unfortunately where I am now has no plinking areas. Not close anyway. There are indoor ranges in this area, but no outdoor ones.:icon_ cry::rolleyes::)
I see that a lot too. People shooting to just shoot and then wondering why they don't get any better. See it in things like golf too, so it's not just a "gun thing"!

Where I grew up in St Louis, there was no plinking, being in town... but my daisy red rider and my crossman 760 took out a lot of squirrels! Most of the neighbors we ok with it as they gardened and didn't like the tree rats taking one bite and running off. When we moved up to the wonderful winter wilderness of Wisconsin. getting enough land to plink at will was important.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
I generally shoot 100 rounds of .22, and then 200 rounds of .38 at the 15 yard range, with just two guns. I rotate my guns each trip. I've found taking too many at one time just causes me trigger confusion, plus there's a lot more to clean.

At my outdoor range that takes me all morning, about 3-4 hours. Every once in a while I'll declare an "automatic day" and take the Taurus autos down to the 7 yard range, where the crowd is a little less serious. Plus you can scrounge a lot more brass down there. It's a break in the routine for me.

·
10,379 Posts
Depends on my mood. I'll either walk out the back door and shoot a couple mags just to clear my head...or I'll go out back and hundreds of rounds and make a day of it. I stopped counting rounds a long while ago. I know I'm >6k on the 1911, >14k on the Plinkster, >2,500 on the .270, etc. As someone else said, round count don't mean squat once the firearm's broken in, it's round placement I worry about.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Most of my "range" time is done in shooting matches, USPSA and IDPA. Two weekends ago the USPSA match the "minimum" round count was estimated at 170, it took me 221 rounds to get it done. The "spinning plate rack" kills me! Although I am getting better at it.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
I usually only shoot 100-150 rounds of 44mag or heavy 357 mag because my hands will develop a slight tremor that makes further shooting less accurate and a waste of ammo. 9mm or 22 I can shoot much longer.

Reactions: rodfair
21 - 40 of 50 Posts