Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see lots of folks saying shoot 500 or more rounds to break in a weapon. I see several say they been to the range a few times and now have 300 or less fired.

Me when I go to the range I generally shoot 200 to 500 rounds. I just cant see how folks can go several times and only shoot a total of 300.

Course thats just me I guess.
Oh and my gun is broke in...

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Well, not everybody can afford to shoot as much as they want. Shootin' 50 is better than shootin' nuthin. I generally shoot 300 at a time.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I may shoot 300+ rounds at a time but I practice with 3-4 handhuns and a rifle or 2 each time. I always shoot the most with my PT145 which is my EDC.

Reactions: CaptainMorgan

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
Same here - I usually take 3-4 guns and generally put 100 rds. each down range. I have done as much as 500 rds. at one go, but very rare. Even with an upLula, 500 is pushing my limits. LOL

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I also not only keep all records on date of purchase, serial numbers, who I bought from, price I paid or Date of Mfg (if I can find it), I also keep the same load data for my own bullets and a shooting log of the load if mine or factory, how many rounds and any problems encountered or opinions. I've done this since I got my first new gun many years ago. I all guns I've sold as to who to, date, serial number and if private or FFL. I know exactly how many rounds have been through any new gun I buy and track from the day I get it howmany I've put through is since I bought it. Takes about a minute when back from the range to do it.

Reactions: Southern4x4

·
Registered
311 Posts
I see lots of folks saying shoot 500 or more rounds to break in a weapon. I see several say they been to the range a few times and now have 300 or less fired.

Me when I go to the range I generally shoot 200 to 500 rounds. I just cant see how folks can go several times and only shoot a total of 300.

lol many of us aren't rich. I take my carry gun and go through a couple of mags. If I am shooting pretty good I move the distance out a bit and go through a couple more mags. Then I plink with my .22 because it is cheap to shoot.

·
Registered
4,847 Posts
I mostly shoot 9mm and 380 now. 300 is about my norm.

One thing I started doing (since I had some trouble with one gun) is keeping a log of all I shoot. I have a log sheet for each handgun. (I recommend this to all)
Every time I shoot a gun, I log the date, number of rounds fired of each type/brand ammo, and most importantly I log any problems. Memory will fail you after a couple years.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Also, shooting mostly revolvers I may be a bit slower.....when I use to shoot a TC Contender all the time 100 rounds was a lot.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I normally can only afford to shoot 50-100 of .40 when I go to the range, around here either I have to drive 30 minutes to the packed outdoor range or spend 14.99 for a hour at the indoor range, in my mind I need to be able to shoot at least 100 to make it worth my while, which makes my whole trip cost in the neighborhood of $50!! Once I start reloading I will most likely go with 100+ at a time but will have to trek out to the outdoor public range as you can't use reloads at any of the indoor ranges. (At least until I get my private range built) Taking three or more trips to get to 500 rounds seems normal to the average middle class shooter like me....

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Usually when I go to the range I carry most, if not all my pistols. For my carry pistols I reconfirm my skill (and my confidence) with that particular pistol. For instance, I almost always carry my 738 to the range and it is usually the first out of the box. I set a B-25 type full silhouette target out at 25 feet and try to shoot 2 magazines (13 rounds) as fast as I can aim, one hand unsupported into the head. If I put 12 out 13 rounds in the head without a malfunction, I box her up, take her home and clean her. Lets me know that she is working correctly and my aim is still good with her. It took me a while to get there but it is pretty easy to keep my skills up with her. Typically, I will have a couple I have been working on, or changed something, so I will shoot them to make sure everything is working and then settle down to put a couple of boxes through it to reaffirm POA. If its a new, to me, pistol I will shoot it until I am comfortable that it is in good working order and until I find what shoots best in it. Sometimes I run out of ammo before I find that "perfect" ammo and sometimes, the first stuff I put through it shoots on the money. My PT-111 MilPro took forever to find the right ammo while my 1911's seem to like just about anything I put through it, although for SD my PT-1911B loves Taurus Copper Bullets (185 grain Barnes JHP) and my other custom 1911 loves Speer 230 grain Gold Dots. I got a new Kahr CW-40 last February. Kahr says at least 250 rounds to break in. I put a box of 50 Blazer Brass 155 grain FMJ and 2 magazines of Hornady TAP 165 grain XTP SD ammo through it and felt that was all I needed. 200 or so rounds later and I've only had one malfunction and that was my fault for putting a spring in wrong on the slide release. It is one of my favorite carry pieces because I know it is going to work and it is going to hit where I aim. Some pistols just take longer than others to break in and some don't. I try to let the pistol tell me when it is ready, but I have been shooting pistols since I was 10 years old and my Dad put a Colt DA .45LC revolver in my hands.

Reactions: Divebum

·
Registered
148 Posts
Luckily for me my "range" is only 2 minutes from my house.So usually i will grab a gun and a box of ammo and just go blast away for a little bit.I try to do this at least every other day,weather and cash flow permitting. :guns:

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
I really don't give a hoot about round count. I'm more inclined to be concerned with round placement. However, I do take more than one handgun to the indoor range, and usually 2 or 3 rifles when I shoot outside. The only time when round count makes any difference to me is when I buy a new gun and am breaking it in or evaluating it. Then I like to know round count between failures.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
The closest range is about 15-20min drive from my home and I always went there with 2 or 3 guns to "practice". They charged $15/hr and I wanted to make it worth every cent.

·
Super Moderator
40,613 Posts
I will shoot as many as 8-10 guns when I go to the range. We usually will shoot 550+ rounds of .22lr and around 100-150 of other calibers. Shoot what I can afford and have a blast with the .22's.

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
I'm at the range at least once or twice a week and I probably shoot 1500 rounds or so a month. Sometimes it is more depending on how I feel and what I'm doing.

I usually shoot .22, 9mm, .38/.357, .223, and 5.7 X 28. Once in awhile I get into a "military" mood and shoot the Mausers, Enfield, Schmidt Rubin, Arisaka, or Carcano.

Recently I started digging in the safe and finding a gun I forgot about or haven't shot in forever and I'll bring it out and shoot a few.

I use a LOT of reloads, especially 9mm, .223, 5.7 X 28, and .380. I also shoot a lot of steel case ammo in 7.62 X 39 and .223/5.56.

Sometimes I'll even bring my Ruger Old Army to the range and kill mosquitos with it!

I have no idea how many rounds I put through my guns... I don't even remember some of the guns I have, let alone how many rounds I put through them.

The one exception is an AR I am doing a test on.... I am trying to learn how many rounds I can put through it with no cleaning of any kind. All I do is lube it with Slip 2000 before I shoot it. I also only shoot Russian Steel Case ammunition out of it. So far I have shot 9,360 rounds through it with absolutely zero failures of any kind. I guess it is true that the cheap steel case ammo will ruin your AR! ;)

Don

·
5,686 Posts

What's so hard to understand? Ammo is expensive, range time can be expensive and limited, if you have more than one or two guns to fire it limits the amount of time with each of them. I'm glad you have the money and means to shoot as often as you can, so here's your pat on the back you're looking for. :)

·
Super Moderator
27,059 Posts
I rough count. Each range trip we bring all the pistols 4. I shoot for my desired proficiency on my 24/7. If the RSO has a silly/fun competition going on I may take part in that. Take the Moisin but shoulder will only take about 40 rounds. Then back to the pistol range with the 22 rifles and will put 2-300 rounds down range.
Shooting with the Cadets...different story. 24/7 now has just on 15000 rounds through it. Money is no problem, you the taxpayer pays for them to shoot. So it might get 1000 rounds/day through it. Same with the 22 rifles.
But I find at my age tiredness comes into it. If that is affecting my accuracy I stop. Can't afford to waste my money!

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I don't shoot hundereds of rounds just to shoot myself. I will shoot a few mags for each gun just to make sure I can still hit straight. I do the same with my bow and only shoot 6-12 arrows and that's it. Quality not quantity is my personal choice. JMHO

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Budget restrictions keep the round count down. 100-200 rounds per year across 3 weapons is all the budget allows.

Reactions: ozzy
1 - 20 of 50 Posts