Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I love the way the 1911 looks; I love the way it feels; I love the way it shoots.
I HATE the way it breaks down!
I can't imagine being a GI on a hot, sandy south pacific island, or a snowy, freezing german forest, and having to break down a 1911 down to clean.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't imagine being a GI on a hot, sandy south pacific island, or a snowy, freezing german forest, and having to break down a 1911 down to clean.
I've watched a good gunsmith pick up a 1911 and in mere seconds it was all apart. It went together almost as fast. Practice, practice, practice. Oh, and if your life depends on it, practice even more.

·
Administrator
40,247 Posts
I don't find my PT1911 difficult to break down. Maybe because I've done it countless times. I really like mine too, and when I shoot with some guys that are very good shooters, mine goes with me. It makes me look good.:thumb:

·
Registered
36,765 Posts
I've watched a good gunsmith pick up a 1911 and in mere seconds it was all apart. It went together almost as fast. Practice, practice, practice. Oh, and if your life depends on it, practice even more.

yea , its not magic to me!
course I have taken either 2 or wait I think I have taken three of them apart!
never timed myself but would imagine its under 10 seconds disassembly and likely under 20 second re assembly?
I mean drop the mag, turn the bushing and release the spring pressure, push the slide back, remove the take down pin and push the slide off, pull the bushing off and push the barrel through?

·
Registered
36,765 Posts
My 1911 is one of my favorite and best shooting. The design still remains supreme.

yea, it is a classic design for sure!
got in touch with my younger inner me today as I took one of my 1911 to the range.
I have moved toward the CZ and Tanfoglio in recent times but still have a soft spot for the 1911, heck I own like 14-15 of them I think?
MY Springfield Armory Range Officer is like about my 3-4 th most accurate weapon and the best of the 1911 crowd.

Reactions: Sekol

·
Super Moderator
37,208 Posts
My PT 1911 SS was my 1st pistol, second handgun after my Dan Wesson Model 15 not counting my CVA Colt Navy replica that I built. Just thinking about it makes me want to get it to the range for a workout!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I've been wondering about the PT1911 and this looks like a good thread to ask the question that has been on my mind.
Are they parts-compatible with other 1911's? Specifically a mil-spec/Gi 1911?
I've seen statements that they are and contradictory statements that they aren't.
So who better to ask than a bunch of guys who own them right here on TaurusArmed.net?

·
Super Moderator
37,208 Posts
I've been wondering about the PT1911 and this looks like a good thread to ask the question that has been on my mind.
Are they parts-compatible with other 1911's? Specifically a mil-spec/Gi 1911?
I've seen statements that they are and contradictory statements that they aren't.
So who better to ask than a bunch of guys who own them right here on TaurusArmed.net?
I have done minimal changes to mine, to include a single sided safely replacing the ambi-safety, extended slide release and a S & A Magwell/Mainspring. From reading here a few years, I recall that some parts are perfect swaps (remembering that few parts are "drop in" and require fitting) and some may be proprietary. It's a Series 80 from the factory and some folks have removed those components. I have not bothered with mine as many reports are a negligible difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
The series 80 firing pin plunger, plunger spring, extractor are Taurus specific parts, aftermarket firing pin plungers and springs don't fit. You can use aftermarket extractors but would have to get a TJ shim and convert to series 70. Mine the sear was the shortest I have ever seen, did a trigger job and the sear was so short when in the sear jig could not stone the primary angle. When checking my blueprints and taking some measurements the pin holes were not to spec. It is not a tight pistol or bullseye accurate but it was very reliable, ate any ammo I put through it and was self defense accurate.

·
22,942 Posts
Many guns of the period required tools to disassemble. Heck, even another JMB design, the Woodsman, didn't require tools but was a serious, serious pain by comparison. Heck, break down a MKIII Ruger .22 and then tell me the 1911 is tough.

Is it Glock/PT111 simple? No. But it's not really that bad, and as others have said, with practice it can be done amazingly fast. With practice, I've read of GIs breaking down SMGs during an assault, fixing a problem, reassembling it, and getting back to business.

·
Registered
36,765 Posts
The series 80 firing pin plunger, plunger spring, extractor are Taurus specific parts, aftermarket firing pin plungers and springs don't fit. You can use aftermarket extractors but would have to get a TJ shim and convert to series 70. Mine the sear was the shortest I have ever seen, did a trigger job and the sear was so short when in the sear jig could not stone the primary angle. When checking my blueprints and taking some measurements the pin holes were not to spec. It is not a tight pistol or bullseye accurate but it was very reliable, ate any ammo I put through it and was self defense accurate.

ahh yep!
pretty much echoes my thoughts perfectly!
I have four PT1911, the only thing that I have done to them is to change out the huge ambi thumb safety on two of them, intended to do all four but you know how that goes.
Two I did break down and work on the trigger (Mostly the bow channel as they were very poorly polished/machined and had a lot of drag in them.)
I smoothed up a bit here and there while inside the guns.
these two were the two worst of the bunch. the other two, a PT1911 SS and a PY1911 AL were very, very well behaved out of the box and nothing was done to either.
now 2 of the 4 had to be returned to Taurus Mothership for repairs.
so they are kind of a mixed bag for me as far as out of box quality.
Now all 4 are well behaved and have been house trained.
I have some lesser priced 1911 as well, like the rock island (2 of these) a Citadel, 2 ATI and so I compare the quality /value of these against the Taurus.

Reactions: oso

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I sold my PT 1911, not that there was anything wrong with it. I was offered $500 ok $495, I like to say $500 buyer likes to say under $500. I couldn't pass on that offer, I hardly ever shot it and I have plenty of other 1911's that I do shoot a lot.

·
Registered
15,137 Posts
aesthetically, about the only difference is the ambi safety and the frame (and thusly grips) are a bit wider. The internals are "of the 80 series 1911 style" but they're not 100% interchangeable across the board. Yes, you do also have that annoying hammer safety/lock but you can replace the hammer. My PT1911 was a shooter right out of the box (after a thorough cleaning) as was my wife's in 38 super. The only changes I've made was I installed an extended slide stop and changed grips (multiple times since I make grips). If I had to stake my life on a single firearm, it would be our PT1911's. I have shot other 1911's but I have not owned other 1911's. Each one has its own nuances and I really haven't dealt with a bad 1911. I can't say the same for other types of firearms. YMMV

Reactions: oso

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
I love the way the 1911 looks; I love the way it feels; I love the way it shoots.
Yup, me too.

·
Administrator
35,559 Posts
As long as I've owned my PT1911, it's been one of the top three favorite guns I own. I've had to polish the feed ramp lightly a couple of times and buy new mags and it still works terrific. The tritium sights I had put on right after purchase are still glowing, 11 years later. I really love this gun.

-

Attachments

·
Registered
36,765 Posts
thats good life span for a usable tritium sight, normally half life of tritium is about 7-8 years IF I remember right.
half life means it is half as bright (Strength) as it was when made, which usually adds to a pretty dim trit except in full darkness.
I gots one of dem Taurus 1911 that's made out of old beer cans ( Aluminum) without the rail , its been a good one for me.
G-10 grips and a Fiber Optic front sight.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts