·
Super Moderator
35,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Reactions: Wolf1477

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
I'm not showing this to my wife! She'd have me building baskets all friggin weekend!

·
10,379 Posts
Been looking at that. For the last couple years we've also been hanging our tomato and pepper plants in pots from a spare clothes line, it's amazing how much better they produce when you don't have to worry about 'em getting blown over by the wind and the ferschmuggin deer can't get to 'em.

·
32,481 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking that a basket frame could be fashioned from 1" PVC pipe with some of the fittings secured by cross drilling and using cotter pins. Disassembly would be simple, they are rustproof and reusable. The anchor point in the ground could be a larger pipe (PVC or IP) that would sleeve the 1" above ground frame.

Reactions: Qwiks draw

·
10,379 Posts
The more I think about it, I think I'm going back to my original thought for this season. I've got a number of 55 GA drums that are clean. Cut 'em in half lengthways, fill 'em full of dirt and plant the spuds. Comes time to harvest, just turn em over and pull the taters out of the pile.

Reactions: Qwiks draw

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I tried it and it didn't work for me. I just dig a deep trench, fill it with hay, put the potato slips on top and cover with more hay. Loads of potatoes, and little or no digging.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
The drums work IF you have holes to allow them to drain.

We were using the chicken wire idea back when I was a kid (late 60's) for most tubers. But when you plant an acre or more it's not worth it. Easier to just run a dull plow blade thru the field.

Sarge

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
It all sounds too much like work to me. :blink:

Anyway, I really like the ones that Kroger sells in their produce department.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts