Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a friendly reminder, I turned on a pot of grease earlier was going to cook me some french fries for a mid day snack. I was waiting on the grease to heat up and went to check my email for a second, I got side tracked and next thing I know I see black smoke boiling out of the kitchen.

I ran in there to see what was going on, grease set a blaze and was melting the vent hood above the stove.

In a panic motion, I put my hand inside my shirt and grabbed the handle and ran outside and tossed it out the front door.

During that instance, I managed to
1) almost burn down my house
2) spilled grease on the rug, melting it.
3) spilled grease on the floor with grease still on fire, burning the floor
4) get a large burn going up from my hand to my elbow
5) poop my pants.

·
Super Moderator
35,534 Posts
The other old wives tale is to pour salt on it.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Small kitchen fire extinguishers are cheap!! lol Glad it wasnt major, burns will heal and everyting else can be fixed/replaced!!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its hardto get to the salt when flames are in the way of the cabinent where it holds it. and i wasnt thinking nothing about putting anything over it. It scared the crap out of me. I just done something lol

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Small kitchen fire extinguishers are cheap!! lol Glad it wasnt major, burns will heal and everyting else can be fixed/replaced!!
That reminds me..I need to take my kitchen fire extinguiser to the Fire Dept. and get it recharged too...thinking its been 3 or more years since I bought it.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Glad you didn't get really badly hurt.

Here is a video I was sent recently

·
Super Moderator
35,534 Posts
It could have been much worse if you had thrown a bucket of water on it. I'm surprised that Olfarhors hasn't weighed in on this one yet, I'm certain he's got a lot of stories about this particular type of incident.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Thanks for sharing your unnerving experience with us.

There is a very valuable lesson in this for us all, and that is to never walk away from the kitchen when something is cooking or warming on the stove top.

I'm glad you are okay, friend.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
When my parents were newly webs, they had the same experience with another disastrous ending... my father threw water onto the fire .... boom. My mom says they both had black soot on their faces and blackened the formally yellow kitchen walls.

Cover pan with lid, turn off burner, move pan to cool burner. Take wife out to dinner.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Glas to hear that you were not hurt to bad. This definitely would have been scary. Just be glad you did not slip and end up with the pot of burning oil on top of you.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Sorry you got hurt and glad it was not worse. Hope you heal quickly.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
If it was that bad then I'm glad it turned out OK in the end. Like all home accidents, they could always be much worse.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'm a certified chef. (yes I hold a degree.) We've all experienced it. It's ez to become complacent when preforming everyday routines. I would just like to say that altho misdirected your actions were straight forward.. OH NOES! FIRE! and you rushed to get it out of the house before damage was done.. That is commendable and proper.. The execution however.... lol next time grab a lid man.. and perhaps a refresher course on how to extinguish different types of kitchen fires are in order.. Beyond that, the minor burns to your hands, feat and carpet you suffered are more then enough to sufficiently supply you with the motivation needed to do it correctly next time, if the need arises.
stay safe man.

Id just like to add, my grandfather was a fire fighter most of his adult life after the war. I got to go onto calls with him from time to time in my youth.. Sternly instructed to "sit in the truck and don't you move!"
Watching him preform his duty's really meant allot to me. One thing I took away from all that was the ability to remain calm under pressure. (just like gramps.) This reminds me of when my wife caught our oven on fire.. Drippings and what not.. Shes completely freaking out, screaming for me and about to call 911. I come into the kitchen post haste and just stand there chuckling, man she can really get worked up.. It's ez to forget proper procedure when you got adrenaline working through your body..
just remember to always remove the heat source.. and extinguish properly.. smother, water, extinguisher. they all have their place..

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
*grin* We have someone do that once a week or so at school. Mine was deliberate yesterday. Making beef medallions with brandy and had to flame it.

Watched a gent catch his backyard pool on fire once tho. Yes, I wrote that correctly. He was drunk and attempting to fry a turkey at 0200. Dropped the WET bird in from about 2 foot up. WHOOMP!!!! He freaked and kicked it over into the pool where the oil just FOOMED some more and spread all over the pool.

Sarge

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
geezusss....motard....next time use a ANY skillet or pan cover. Same size or a bit bigger.
Vonzipper's got it right - you have to cut off the air to a grease fire. A lid or a lot of baking soda will do it. Not a good idea to leave hot grease unattended on a stove - but you already know that. :D

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Smother. A handful of flour would do it, so I'm told.
Man, I'm glad it was no worse and you did enough things right.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts