Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't use the corncob animal bedding from walmart in your tumbler. That stuff is crammed in the cases so tight that if I wasn't irritated with my son I would throw them out. (instead my son gets to pull it out with a pick) Lesson learned once again, small batches to test anything.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
KayBee brand bedding makes the fine ground corn cob media; but you must use the "FINE" ground. I also used the big stuff once; only once.
Maybe it's KayTee brand........I'm so confused!!!!

Reactions: jimb1972

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use tumbling media for my casings.
I use animal bedding for my animals.
I'm odd that way............
I am cheap, and the only place close by that might have tumbling media is a BassPro and I won't do ANY business with them any longer. The cases are beautiful, just stuffed full of cob.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And I have read enough of your posts to know that ain't the only way you're odd :)

·
Super Moderator
37,500 Posts
The only corn cob I used was the bag that came with my FA vibratory tumbler. When that ran out I bought walnut from WalMart because I couldn't find corncob. I guess I was just lucky. I liked the polishing of the former better and the cutting power of the walnut better. I still have some walnut left but do 98% of my tumbling with pins.

I did tumble a bunch of 38 Special that were loaded with 124 grain SJHP just to clean them up...the corncob got stuck in the hollow points. :(

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ugh...now you tell me. I don't have any kids so I sat for an hour with a drill bit stuck in a piece of wood.

Sent from my SM-T113 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Interestingly, the Walnut lizard bedding works great for me, although it does tend to get into the flash hole a wee bit more - luckily I generally only use it now to tumble finished rounds so they look purty :).

I found out about the flash hole issue when I did a short tumble with some resized Grendel brass to clean off my spray lube.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I thought about running the large corn cob bedding thru a blender....but never did.

·
Registered
36,871 Posts
BORING!!!!---YAWN!!!!
what kind of animal use corn cobs as a bedding media???
certainly not anything very large or with fur as it would be stuck in the hair big time I would think??
maybe a lizard or sumphen?
I tried this as wiping material in the outhouse once but it was way to small for that!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I use Harbor Freight walnut media. It comes in either coarse or fine @ 25 lbs priced at $25. And don't forget the 20% off coupon!

·
Registered
15,216 Posts
industrial sand blasting material, get like a 50 lb bag of corn cob or walnut media on the cheap.

·
Registered
36,871 Posts
Gosh--how much polishing media do you guys go through??
I got about half of a bag left from me buying it like 3 years ago and I clean a lot of dirty brass--mostly cause I shoot a lot.

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I made the same mistake once, it worked fine for .45acp cases but when I tried it on a batch of .223 I ended up with a bunch of cases packed with corn cob.
Since I had a 5 gallon bucked full of .223 brass, those just went into the recycling bucket.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
BORING!!!!---YAWN!!!!
what kind of animal use corn cobs as a bedding media???
certainly not anything very large or with fur as it would be stuck in the hair big time I would think??
maybe a lizard or sumphen?
I tried this as wiping material in the outhouse once but it was way to small for that!
I use crushed corn-cob bedding for my horse...she really doesn't sleep in it that I know of, but it's super absorbent!

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Interestingly, the Walnut lizard bedding works great for me, although it does tend to get into the flash hole a wee bit more - luckily I generally only use it now to tumble finished rounds so they look purty :).

I found out about the flash hole issue when I did a short tumble with some resized Grendel brass to clean off my spray lube.
I've had good luck with the lizard litter myself. The flash hole thing isn't an issue for me though, since I don't deprime first. I deprime on the press when I'm loading so the flash hole is certain to be cleared during the depriming step of the reloading process.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I bought several jugs of the Lyman corncob polishing media several years ago. I still have most of it. It is impregnated with a liquid polishing compound (like furniture polish) to improve cleaning performance. I think I'll pass on the "animal bedding" stuff.

Reactions: olfarhors
1 - 20 of 20 Posts