Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You don't hear his name much anymore, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who grew up during the seventies who didn't have at least a passing familiarity with Soul Train. I wasn't a big fan, but I did check out the soul train dancers every once in a while. Evidently Cornelius was found in his home with a gunshot wound to his head. I guess he's on a different soul train now. Don Cornelius dead at 75. And another little piece of the past fades into the distance...

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Wow.... don't even know how to take this one. Sad that he's gone, but not sure if i completely believe the suicide assumption.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow.... don't even know how to take this one. Sad that he's gone, but not sure if i completely believe the suicide assumption.
That reminds me - there was a very interesting program on PBS last night about the reduced number of autopsies being performed in this country. Evidently there is a shortage of qualified forensic pathologists, and as a result there are fewer autopsies being performed. One group of people that is actually at risk as a result is the elderly. The assumption is often that they died of natural causes, and in many cases a doctor never even examines the body. They mentioned one case of an elderly man who was beaten to death in a nursing home, and his cause of death was listed as natural causes. The death certificate was signed by a doctor who had never actually seen the body - alive or dead. Another employee of the nursing home came forward and reported the beating, and the guys body was subsequently exhumed. He was found to have all kinds of evidence of a severe beating, and the cause of death was changed to murder. Not saying it isn't obvious what caused Cornelius's death, but the quality of forensic investigations in this country has really deteriorated.

·
Administrator
35,162 Posts
I'll bet that intro really messed with the minds of the LSD users back then. :D

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you think about it, Soul Train was way ahead of its time. Course American Bandstand was too. They were both the forerunners of MTV. I don't think Dick Clark is ever going to die, though, and I'm convinced he's got a portrait of himself somewhere in his house that ages while he stays young. :D

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
If you think about it, Soul Train was way ahead of its time. Course American Bandstand was too. They were both the forerunners of MTV. I don't think Dick Clark is ever going to die, though, and I'm convinced he's got a portrait of himself somewhere in his house that ages while he stays young. :D
Great show, I liked the R&B of the early 1980s. Then it went to heck with all this hip-hop-rap junk.

RIP Don, you did well.

·
Registered
7,656 Posts
Um, no ....

DickClark.jpg

Reactions: dbeardslee

·
Administrator
35,162 Posts
Yeah, ol' Dick Clark spent about 35 years looking like he was in his 30's.....but it sure caught up with him. He's in bad shape now.

·
Registered
29,861 Posts
Wasn't a big Soul Train fan, but I hate to hear about anyone taking this way "out" when there are so many avenues to seek help.

·
Super Moderator
17,623 Posts
LOL .... "I have known him since I was19-years-old and James Brown had me speak on Soul Train," Sharpton said......

95 seconds on Soul Train and Al Sharpton is milking it for all it's worth. He doesn't show up until 2:25 in.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Rest easy Don.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I had a friend who was a camera man on that show, he was on the side looking up the rail. Most of his film met the chopping floor, talk about sasquatch!!!!!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
The man started with $400.00 and an idea...and became phenomenally successful.

It's sad to think he may have taken his own life.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts