Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
14,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to move all of my ammunition to a new secure location, and figured while I was at it I would do an updated inventory count.

My common sense should have told me to just leave things alone. My back and legs are now wishing that I did leave things alone. I still have 60% or more yet to move. My motivation to sell this house and move is greatly dwindling after this great idea.

Of course I guess I could have setup a spread sheet and track the inventory with accuracy....so much for hindsight.

So how do the rest of you keep track as to what you keep on hand.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I don't keep close track of mine. I shoot quite a bit so it gets cycled through fairly often. I buy components and load as much as I can afford at a given time.

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
I gave up. I had a spreadsheet at one time and it became a burden.
Now, I have a lockable cabinet that has ten boxes of each caliber I own. This is used for grabbing ammo and running to the range. When the inventory gets low in the cabinet, I go to "backroom" and grab another 500 rounds for the cabinet.
I was caught short on .380 a few weeks back. I couldn't find it in the closet, so instead of moving everything, I ordered 500 rounds for the cabinet. One day I'll find it in the closet.
I will tell you this, I ain't moving my ammo. No way!

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
My life is too short to count each individual round. However I can count the cases and boxes and estimate from that.
By my estimation I have more ammo than I can expend in my remaining expected lifetime except for 45-70 and 6.5x55.

·
Registered
15,357 Posts
Do I inventory? Not really. I just start filling new 50 cal ammo cans when I run out of room. Since my 223 ammo is all reloads, I don't even box them anymore. They're all loaded the same using the same powder, same primer, same projectiles. I just use a different color sharpie to denote approximate lot numbers.

·
Registered
14,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not what I thought in round count, more than I thought in weight. Getting old sucks.

I do have some 38 Super, but no longer own a pistol in that caliber.

·
Registered
15,357 Posts
Not what I thought in round count, more than I thought in weight. Getting old sucks.

I do have some 38 Super, but no longer own a pistol in that caliber.
Let me know if you want to dump that 38 super ammo. My wife's 1911 is 38 super.

Reactions: jonrjen

·
Registered
174 Posts
I did a round about count a few weeks ago. I was bored. Roughly 7200 rounds. I keep looking for good deals on more, but why?

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
If you can count it, you don't have enough!!!!!!!!! ;)

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Pretty simple system for me: everything in 50 round boxes wherever possible, stacked 10 high, makes 500 rounds per stack. I then just count stacks and multiply by 500. With this system I currently have way to much in .38 Special, enough in both reloads and commercial .357 magnum, and just enough .22LR and 12 gauge. I just found, upon inspection, a box of Federal 357B I bought back in 1989, never opened !! The price alone shocked the heck out of me.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Well clearly I don't have enough ammo. I reload and seem to shoot it as fast as I make it. I guess I need to start a stockpile!

Reactions: jonrjen and darbo

·
Administrator
35,713 Posts
I had a spreadsheet for every round I have reloaded. I don't log taking the ammo to the range and shooting it, though.

I say 'had' because I lost all of my ammo in a separate tragic boating accident. :angel:

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
On a cold, rainy day a few years ago I counted every round of ammunition that I had and entered it on a spreadsheet. I kept it up to date for almost a month. These days I sit and think, "I shot some of this and some of that the other week so I need to order some more". In other words, I don't have a clue how much I have. All I can say with certainty is that the first 10,000 or so zombies to come through my front gate are in a world of hurt … I think. Maybe not, who knows?

·
Registered
14,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you can count it, you don't have enough!!!!!!!!! ;)
This is kind of a four fold ordeal in taking the inventory.

1. To move it, well most of it into a new secured location behind a locked door.

2. Since I was going to move it, it was a good time to get some numbers together as to on hand caliber quantities.

3. See which round has the best stopping power from a lethal standpoint. I figure that by carrying the over packed heavy boxes of different rounds down 3 flights of stairs could result in a lethal ending. Of course this would be from a weight and footing study of the caliber being carried at the point of lethal demise and not penetration of projectile.

4. And if all goes well, I will be much more organized.

·
Registered
14,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just found, upon inspection, a box of Federal 357B I bought back in 1989, never opened !! The price alone shocked the heck out of me.
I hear what your saying, but my reality check went in the other direction. I came across a box of 555 rounds of 22lr ammunition and can't believe that at one point I paid $24.99.

·
Premium Member
3,396 Posts
Ammunition, using it, replacing it, and maintaining a static Supply. This is a very interesting subject in my opinion. I believe this is one of those situations where every person has a different way of supporting his or her personal use.

In my case, I must admit to an unreasonable fear of running out of ammunition. I have never run out of ammunition nor have I been in any type of life or death situation where there was a danger of me running out of ammunition. Just the thought of running out of ammunition will trigger my phobia. I also happen to be one of those people who feels that owning a firearm without the correct ammunition to fit that gun is a ridiculous thought. This naturally leads me to the question how much ammunition should I have on hand for that particular firearm?

I have a free-standing building that I had built specifically to be my Gun Room, shop, office, man cave, or whatever title you would like to put on it. It has no windows and only one oversized door. It is air conditioned and completely finished inside with all walls and roof insulated with thick fiberglass batting insulation. This gives me plenty of room to store ammunition and whatever else I wish to put in the building.

I buy ammunition probably two or three times a month. I buy locally from my favorite Gun Shop as well as online when the Price Is Right. Generally I do not buy less than 500 rounds of whatever caliber I am purchasing for. As a rule I buy my ammunition a thousand rounds at a time. I have five or six calibers that I buy on a regular basis, 22 long rifle, 9 mm, 45 ACP, 22 magnum, and 22 TCM 9R. My most recent ammunition purchase was 2 weeks ago. I bought 1000 rounds of 22 TCM 9R, 1000 round of 9 mm NATO, 200 rounds of 12-gauge mini shells, and two hundred rounds of 22 caliber short.

I have a large lockable cabinet on one of the workbenches that I used to maintain a working ammunition Supply. This is where I keep my ammunition that I'm going to use for range trips Etc. I replace the ammunition in the cabinet as I use it 500 rounds at a time. Buying my ammunition in Factory cases and replacing it as I do 500 rounds at a time makes it easy to maintain a visual inventory of what I've used and what I still have.

This is what works best for me. I have been keeping my ammunition this way for many years. Even in the ammo shortages of the past I have not run low on anything. Maybe the way I keep my ammunition is excessive but it never fails to give me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Don

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
If you know how much you have, chances are you don't have enough. One of my cabinets Shelf Furniture Shelving Room Building . There's another on the other side of the safe.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts