Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So got the G3c - I want to love it. I have not had the chance to take it to a range as of yet.

I have cleaned it, and set it up to be as problem free as others have had.

This does not appear to be my fate. Regular round nose rounds feed fine.

Issue seems to be with S&B flat nose and any JHP that I try feed from the slide

is this a warranty issue that needs to be corrected by Taurus??

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Others are having the issue with round nose bullets and not the hollow points. Have you tried round nose bullets ? Yes it is a warranty issue if Taurus can replicate the misfeed otherwise they will send back to you without replacing anything. Try polishing the feed ramp. Must sling shot the slide forward, using the slide catch lever to release the slide on some guns will cause a misfeed.

·
Registered
32,111 Posts
I haven't tried any flat nose in my G-3-C yet, or should I say wife's G-3-C. I will be when it warms up. She has limp wristing problems with it and I picked up some 147 grain flat points last week.

Her limp wristing problem is happening with 115 grain bullets, so maybe the 147 grain will help, but not counting on it, Hopefully, just getting another couple of hundred rounds through it will. Otherwise, I will be doing surgery on the recoil spring as my next cure, when a replacement spring comes in from Lakeline.

·
Super Moderator
36,843 Posts
I'd polish the feed ramp and take it to the range. You really don't know you have a problem until you shoot it. Mine feeds IMI HP rounds. It's also a good idea to load the new mags full and leave them sit for a few days.

Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Had/have same issue only with JHP rounds on my G3C. Feeds round nose (FMJ) like a champ. Oddly I also have a G2S. I have shot the G2s WAY more than the 3C. (I only got the 3C last month and I bought the 2S way back last summer right after I passed CCW course. I have put at least 3x the rounds through the 2S as the 3C. I tried having the 3c feed the JHP before I had shot it even once. If you slingshot the slide rather than just "release" it they feed right into battery. I also took a box of JHP to the range with it AFTER I had shot a couple boxes of FMJ. The good news is the more I shoot it the better it's feeding and while firing it has never misfed anything. JHP or FMJ. I did polish the feed ramp slightly as well and also give it a REALLY good cleaning and good oiling. I still carry my 2S more often than the 3C but not because of confidence in it. Only that the 2S is slightly more comfortable to carry being just a tad slimmer and lighter. But I think that will change as I get more comfortable with actually being armed in public. Being new to CCW I am still in that stage of being just a bit "self conscious". All the "what ifs". like: Is there a bulge under my shirt?", "Is it visible and I don't know it?", Anyway I am sure I will get beyond this with the 3C. I also want to actually "use" it more at the range. I can say though it seems to be more prone to needing "breakin" than the 2 series needs. Not sure why

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had/have same issue only with JHP rounds on my G3C. Feeds round nose (FMJ) like a champ. Oddly I also have a G2S. I have shot the G2s WAY more than the 3C. (I only got the 3C last month and I bought the 2S way back last summer right after I passed CCW course. I have put at least 3x the rounds through the 2S as the 3C. I tried having the 3c feed the JHP before I had shot it even once. If you slingshot the slide rather than just "release" it they feed right into battery. I also took a box of JHP to the range with it AFTER I had shot a couple boxes of FMJ. The good news is the more I shoot it the better it's feeding and while firing it has never misfed anything. JHP or FMJ. I did polish the feed ramp slightly as well and also give it a REALLY good cleaning and good oiling. I still carry my 2S more often than the 3C but not because of confidence in it. Only that the 2S is slightly more comfortable to carry being just a tad slimmer and lighter. But I think that will change as I get more comfortable with actually being armed in public. Being new to CCW I am still in that stage of being just a bit "self conscious". All the "what ifs". like: Is there a bulge under my shirt?", "Is it visible and I don't know it?", Anyway I am sure I will get beyond this with the 3C. I also want to actually "use" it more at the range. I can say though it seems to be more prone to needing "breakin" than the 2 series needs. Not sure why
I guess the good news is that my TP9sf will fire and not misfeed anything. I will just put the flat nose rounds (which always fail even with slingshot method) in it, set the vortex on it, and have it has home defense.

Until then I'll polish the ramp, and carry 1 in chamber + 10 in mag. When it gets to be more personally comfortable going to a range (too many maskless there) I'll put a few hundred through the G3c, and see if I can get a cadence down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Others are having the issue with round nose bullets and not the hollow points. Have you tried round nose bullets ? Yes it is a warranty issue if Taurus can replicate the misfeed otherwise they will send back to you without replacing anything. Try polishing the feed ramp. Must sling shot the slide forward, using the slide catch lever to release the slide on some guns will cause a misfeed.
Yeah, round nose work fine.

What is the turnaround time that I would expect from Taurus for warranty work. Do I need to include video of the chambering obstruction? Do I need to include the flat-nose ammo? Should I just sell the thing for a buck and buy a Hellcat like I should've from the start?

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,135 Posts
Just chute it!

Revisit those flat nose after 500 rounds of round nose.

Reactions: jtg452

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Yeah, round nose work fine.

What is the turnaround time that I would expect from Taurus for warranty work. Do I need to include video of the chambering obstruction? Do I need to include the flat-nose ammo? Should I just sell the thing for a buck and buy a Hellcat like I should've from the start?
Would get in touch with CS and let them know your problem. Not sure of the current turnaround at Taurus but assume it is at least the standard 4 to 6 weeks for them. (Never ship guns with ammo). Would not blame you if you sell it for the Hellcat.

·
22,766 Posts
I would fire it first. FMJ, at least 100 rounds. Then see how it does firing some flat nosed or JHP. You don't know yet how this firearm functions.

Reactions: CaptainMorgan

·
Super Moderator
19,904 Posts
So got the G3c - I want to love it. I have not had the chance to take it to a range as of yet.

I have cleaned it, and set it up to be as problem free as others have had.

This does not appear to be my fate. Regular round nose rounds feed fine.

Issue seems to be with S&B flat nose and any JHP that I try feed from the slide

View attachment 476449 View attachment 476450

is this a warranty issue that needs to be corrected by Taurus??
Damn! Looks like the tip of the projectile drives straight into the bottom of the feed ramp. Can you show us a pic of a loaded magazine - a side view? The geometry of the follower and Fred lips might be preventing the slight upward tilt of the tip of the projectile/bullet.

Not excusing the feed ramp; damn that looks gunky and could use a good cleaning and slickening up!

The original 1911 was designed specifically to shoot ball ammo. Took until the late '80s until they got the engineering kinks worked out so it could shoot hollow points.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
First off cycling rounds by hand means nothing. I repeat - nothing. You need to fire it. To get it to load you need to slingshot the slide forward, pull back fully and release so the spring does its job.
Second is that flat nose rounds which are sometimes known as semi wadcutter are usually a revolver profile round.
Semi automatic pistols are designed to fire rounded profile bullets.
Hollow point rounds are like a truncated elliptical shape.
As others have said it has taken a long time to get reliable feeding of hollow point ammo in semiautomatic handguns. Many guns are particular in what ammo they like and sometimes that takes trial and error.
Taurus will not do anything if you contact them as it is likely an issue with the ammo and the gun will probably work with no issue with 115 or 124 grain FMJ or JHP rounds.
Until you go to the range you haven't any idea what will or won't fire in it. Get back to us after a range trip.
You also shouldn't be handling your firearm with live ammunition at a place were you aren't able to shoot safely. You are inviting opportunity for a negligent discharge and someone or something may get shot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm having the exact same feeding issue with my G3 purchased new almost two weeks ago.

I initally put @ 200 rounds FMJ though it, no issues. Went to the range on Wednesday to function test with JHP before carrying it, and had @ 30% failure to feed rate in each of the four magazines I used (two 15 rnd., two 17 rnd.). Ammo used was 147gr HST and 135gr Critical Duty. On several attempts, I couldn't even get the first round to feed when charging the pistol...I had to load an FMJ round on top in order to even get the gun charged and hot. I was having at least 5 rounds per magazine nosing into the feedramp.

I polished the frame and barrel feedramps and went back to the range this morning. Using the same 4 magazines, I fired 200 rnds. of FMJ through it (no issues), then ran the JHP's to test function.

Ammo used was 147gr. HST, 124gr +P Gold Dot, some older Winchester white box, LE-marked 115gr. +P, and 135 gr. Critical Duty. This session, failure to feed rate was down to 2 - 3 rounds per magazine (progress!). Needless to say, this was an expensive session with current ammo prices. At this point, I've spend more $$$ on ammo trying to break this gun in than the gun itself cost...and I'm still nowhere near 100% function or anywhere near where I'd trust this gun for defensive use.

Pic shows 147gr. HST jammed into the feedramp (prior to polishing). In other pistols, when I have a FTF, a nudge on the rear of the slide will generally put it into battery. On this one, it's completely locked up and can only be remedied by locking the slide rear and removing the magazine.

One issue seems to be the near vertical angle of the feedramp combined with the angle of the round as presented by the magazine follower.

When it does work, I really like it. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had the same issue with my G3c. Bought a box of 147gr Blaser which has a flattened nose. First round kept jamming against the bottom of the feed ramp. Round tipped ammo works fine. I polished the feed ramp a bit and had around 400 rounds through it before I used this flat nosed stuff. I haven’t been able to get JHP yet but am worried the problem will continue given the relatively flat shape of JHP ammo.
Oh well, the gun is fun to shoot at the range at least.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts