Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
I knew my truck did and that friends with various other vehicles have them to.

As far as i can tell, it's more of a warranty thing or rather "get out of a warranty repair" thing.

The technician at the dealership can tell how fast and hard you drive, if your oil was way too old or low, if you were driving too fast, using bad gas, etc.....so push come to shove, "that" repair isn't covered by warranty after all so cough up some $$$ buddy!

Reactions: kschilk

·
10,379 Posts
Huh, guess both of mine do. Since both of my vehicles are well out of warranty, I doubt they'll ever be accessed

Reactions: TexasAviator

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
Ours are to old to have a black box..

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
EDRs can be used to discover useful or incriminating data if there's a serious mishap resulting in grievous injury or death involving a motor vehicle.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Hmmmm mine might have slipped through the cracks, 2014 Frontier.

Nissan? Probably has either an xbox or Wii instead of a black box! :devil:

·
Registered
18,802 Posts
It doesn't really matter 'coz even if your vehicle has an older computer, most of that info can be retrieved with a good diagnostic tool...especially after an accident.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Not all of the computers are the same, though. Only certain information is retained. On Heavy service vehicles, they keep much more detailed records, like that gas quality log, the speed logs, braking, and engine hours. Light Duty vehicles usually record warnings, oil change intervals, and the likes. I also wonder just how much storage space a computer like this has. As the vehicles aren't routinely accessed, after a certain number of years, the vehicles black boxes have to be filled as to retained information.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Mine has one and it's fun to tap into it to see what's being recorded. I use a wi-fi dongle that I plug into the ODB II port and use software on a tablet to read all the info in realtime. They record everything you can imagine, now I can too.

x101ABNDevil
R.I.P. PT42

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Nope the wifes does not; 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse. Mine won't; a VW trike with a 1973 motor.

Sarge

·
Registered
29,765 Posts
Nope, none of our vehicles are on the list!

Possible another type though on the car, the pickup could go either way.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Dang, looks like I have two of them!

Is this part of the Patriot Act? :D

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I see that BMW don't appear until 2013.

BUT when I took my 2003 Z4 to the dealers recently they stuck the ignition key into some dodad beside their computer and it came up with the mileage, number plate, last service, etc, etc.

And it has a reader port on the car, so I guess that list might not be all that correct.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts