Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this is more out of curiosity, but do your states link the 2 together? In my state (Iowa) there is no link. If you were to get pulled over the officer would have no idea that you are a ccw holder. I like this, as I might be a bit paranoid about being pulled over BECAUSE I have a ccw. That being said, If I were to be pulled over I would let the officer know up front that I was legally armed.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Pa is the same way and does not link them. Which I agree is good due to most of the time I dont carry and it would suck getting pulled over/harassed for having a CCW and the LEOs around here (small town) having NOTHING else better to do!

·
Registered
56 Posts
In MO you can get a seperate physical card for each, but when they run your DL it will show you have a CCW.

THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

·
Registered
27,430 Posts
In Michigan, if a cop runs your DL or license plate, he gets notified that you have a CPL. Even so, you are required to immediately notify the police of your CPL and that you are carrying - if you are carrying. If you are not carrying, you do not have to notify.
Seems the better part of valor to notify anyway, to me.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
There is also no notification requirement in PA as well, though it's worked to my benefit numerous times informing a LEO what and where i'm carrying at the moment. In more than a few instances, they never even look at my cards when i make them aware that they are on my weapon side.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
When the LEO runs your Washington or Kansas plates he knows that you have a CCW or CPL.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have often wondered this myself since my state does not issue a CCW (you guessed it the great state of Illinois) but I do have a CCW from FL & UT. I would assume perhaps if I was in FL or UT and get stopped it might show up but I wonder about Illinois & other states.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I'll run a few stop signs tomorrow and let ya know. ;)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Texas links DL and CHL. There is also a requirement to show both to the officer. He will usually ask if you are armed and you proceed from there. No issues in two stops.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
North Carolina is a must declare state and they do link your CCH Permit to your drivers license.

·
10,379 Posts
WI CWL prohibits the link by law. We also have no duty to notify.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Correct, DL link only. When stopped, the officer will run both the registration and the DL of the driver normally and the CHL link will come back only on the DL. From the TX DPS website:

Traveling on Texas Roadways with Concealed Handguns Traffic stop policies vary among law enforcement agencies. Your local police department or sheriff's office can tell you what to expect if stopped while carrying a handgun within their jurisdictions.
Texas Department of Public Safety troopers will ask you:

• Whether you are licensed to carry a concealed handgun
  • Whether you have the gun with you
  • Where the gun is located
A trooper may disarm a licensee anytime he or she feels that safety is at risk. The trooper will return the gun at the end of the traffic stop when the threat to safety has passed.
When stopped by a law enforcement officer, DPS recommends that you:

• Keep your hands in plain sight
  • Cooperate fully with the police officer
  • If you have a gun with you, tell the officer as soon as possible
  • Don't make any quick movements, especially toward the weapon
  • At night, turn on your vehicle's dome light
[HR][/HR] You can contact the Concealed Handgun Licensing Bureau at :

REGULATORY LICENSING SERVICE MSC 0245
TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
PO BOX 4087
AUSTIN TX 78773-0245
Phone: (512) 424-7293 or (512) 424-7294
Helpline: (800) 224-5744​

·
Registered
191 Posts
In Oregon No requirement to tell LEO, but might be a good idea. Also your CHL is linked to your vehicle reg.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Tenn. issues a card for DL & CCW. They are identical except for the info on the card. They are linked
together. Run either one, get the other as well.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
WI CWL prohibits the link by law. We also have no duty to notify.
You are correct on the first part (no link by law) but on the second you are incorrect.
The concealed carry law requires you to display your photo id and CCL upon the request of a law enforcement officer when you are carrying a concealed weapon.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts